Thread: Taken... My new favorite movie

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Taken... My new favorite movie

This was brought up in a thread a while back, but I finally had a chance to see it. Wow.... Very cool movie.

It certainly looks like Mr. Neeson is using Kenpo, or a variation of it. I've pulled up pages that name a variety of arts including Jeet Kune Do and Ju Jitsu, but it's apparently an art called Kapour, which I've never heard of, but is a mosh of various styles. Very realistic. No pretty kicks or flying through the air, which would have made it just another cookie-cutter kung fu movie. He wasn't a martial artist before this movie, but was a pretty talented boxer in his younger years, which he attributes his distictive nose to.

Regardless of which style he's using, it's an awesome movie, and Mr. Neeson was a perfect choice for it. I'm going to go watch it again right now!
    Memories are like footprints. Deep footprints last a lifetime. Light footprints blow away in moments. Walk hard through life so that each footprint lasts...even the bad ones, because they're the ones we learn the most from.

~from my own meandering thoughts about how I've walked too lightly through my life... Raven Storm

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Taken... My new favorite movie

Honestly, I'll give a lot of credit to the fight choreographer as well . . . good fight scenes and most of all - well done cinematography to help maximize the effects.

I'm still a Matrix fan though . . .

Marcus Doyle
    Shaolin Kempo
    American Kenpo

KempoTraining.com

Thanks

I think I need to go rent this movie. I keep hearing how good it is.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Angel View Post
    Well worth it.
    Marcus Doyle
    Shaolin Kempo
    American Kenpo

KempoTraining.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Angel View Post
    Very fun movie (although I was gritting my teeth at the thought of something like this happening.). Well worth it to rent or own

Regards,
    Walt

Thanks

Great movie. Experts say there is safety in numbers, well, there is safety in a paranoid father, with "special skills"

In one review, Liam Neesan mentions an art named Kapoor, the fight choreographer, Olivier Schneider, studies Wing Chun and Pencat Silat.
    Kenpo, moving in open piecewise Bézier curves since 2011

Trying hard not to lapse into speaking kenponics

Been doing computers since 1982, on forums, chats and all for nearly 3 decades. Only ever blocked one person.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I loved the movie for the realistic fighting not the false movie crap... Also a great movie too show my daughter who thinks the world is a safe place. She had her eyes opened too what a simple mistake of saying the wrong thing too the wrong person can do.
    Also Liam was the perfect actor for the movie.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
    I loved the movie for the realistic fighting not the false movie crap... Also a great movie too show my daughter who thinks the world is a safe place. She had her eyes opened too what a simple mistake of saying the wrong thing too the wrong person can do.
    Also Liam was the perfect actor for the movie.
    As you know, Derek, every big city with beautiful skylines also has a seedy side to it, where bad things happen; where you either have to BE the thing that goes bump in the night, or get targeted by one. Amsterdam is a nice town to visit to get that point -- some folks in the skin trade there volunteer for the profession; others with visible track marks and scars from beatings. All just 1 or 2 streets over from where the smiling tourists are enjoying their lunches along the river Amstel, oblivious to the detritus in the water floating by. New York, L.A., San Fran, London, Paris, Prague, Munchen...all the same; only the weather and the language used to curse it are different. Pretty much all have rivers with yuckus in them floating on by the delightfully oblivious.

I'm a paranoid person "out there", cuz I looked in the water and made out the details of the detritus. I don't envy those with kids -- scary times to be a parent.

I loved the film for painting a not-so-rosy picture of life just off the beaten path. And of how rapidly things can change from "fat, dumb, and happy" to "get me out of here or shoot me".
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links