Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Promotions As Rewards

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Default Re: Promotions As Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    I guess this thread isn't much of a debate since we all seem to agree.

Phony rank = bad

The thing is, a lot of people who get rank they really don't deserve, don't know that they don't deserve it. Most people think they are pretty good.

So how do you know? How can you be sure that you deserve your rank?

Salute!!!!!
    Non of us deserve the rank, we just try to earn it day by day.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

amylong (01-05-2010)

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

So how do you know? How can you be sure that you deserve your rank?
    To me, the biggest compliment is when people I respect, whom I don't pay, recognize and/or appreciate my rank.

It's not always possible in a commercial setting where the instructor is paid by the student, but it is nice even in those instances when someone from the outside says, "He's just a brown belt? WOW!"

I'd much rather be under-ranked than over-ranked or even just accurately ranked. It's always reassuring for people to be thinking you are better than the belt around your waist.
    Marcus Doyle
    Shaolin Kempo
    American Kenpo

KempoTraining.com

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shaolindelt For This Useful Post:

amylong (01-05-2010),MarkC (01-05-2010),MARSHALLS KENPO (01-06-2010),robertk (01-06-2010),sifuroy (01-06-2010)

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Oh, and just to throw a little fodder for debate:

I'm ok with promotions as rewards . . .

Ok . . . reality . . . When the material learning ceases in an organization and their style, and the testing for increased competency with it stops, I'm ok with further promotions being based on "rewards." Material stops at 3rd, maybe the competency testing with it stops at 5th. If the organization chooses to reward people with 6th-9th Degree Black based solely on their contributions to the organization and style, that's fine. Really, those are still worthwhile promotions and show your dedication to the art. Orange to Purple - not so much, but 7th-8th Black . . . I'm not going to worry if you are rewarded that by the GM because you opened 5 new schools in the state and have helped him with teaching seminars over the last 4 years. Sure - reward the dedication and help, but make sure it is at least "to the art" and not because he helped you paint your house.
    Marcus Doyle
    Shaolin Kempo
    American Kenpo

KempoTraining.com

Thanks

I'm with you on that. For the upper ranges of black, like 6th and up, I do think a contribution to the art should be part of it.

Some people get it just because they've been in for another three years since their previous belt. I always think, when I see that, what did you do to deserve that?

Me? I want to do my part. Once I get to fifth, in like, 15 years or so, if I'm lucky, then people can look at what I've added. They can say, "She graced them with her Amyness for many years." That alone has got to be worth a stripe or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindelt View Post
    Oh, and just to throw a little fodder for debate:

I'm ok with promotions as rewards . . .

Ok . . . reality . . . When the material learning ceases in an organization and their style, and the testing for increased competency with it stops, I'm ok with further promotions being based on "rewards." Material stops at 3rd, maybe the competency testing with it stops at 5th. If the organization chooses to reward people with 6th-9th Degree Black based solely on their contributions to the organization and style, that's fine. Really, those are still worthwhile promotions and show your dedication to the art. Orange to Purple - not so much, but 7th-8th Black . . . I'm not going to worry if you are rewarded that by the GM because you opened 5 new schools in the state and have helped him with teaching seminars over the last 4 years. Sure - reward the dedication and help, but make sure it is at least "to the art" and not because he helped you paint your house.
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (01-05-2010),Shaolindelt (01-05-2010)

Thanks

Your Amyness,

Your contributions would be better recievied if you stop telling my students to do long 3 twice as hard and it will replace Long 6.

Love ya

Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

amylong (01-06-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Your contributions would be better recievied if you stop telling my students to do long 3 twice as hard and it will replace Long 6.

Does that mean that Long 4's not........ nevermind. -Bob

11. The Following User Says Thank You to robertk For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (01-06-2010)

Kosho Lohan is offline Banned
    Thanks

I happen to think it's not a very good idea to give away promotions as rewards to students as it will come back to haunt the school & teacher in the end. Years ago I knew a Master who had a huge school & he was pulling in some serious money month in, month out & he started to reward students that would do free business for him. What happened is all this master's serious students ended up leaving & now with the economy as it is those two elements combined for a poison mixture & this same master had to move to a much smaller school. Guess we could say the economy is tough on everyone but I really believe his serious students would have stayed with him had they not been so disgusted seeing him promote people that didn't deserve the rank to begin with as a reward for free professional services they provided him with.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Your Amyness,

Your contributions would be better received if you stop telling my students to do long 3 twice as hard and it will replace Long 6.

Love ya

As with most/all religious leaders, I am sure that my edicts are being misunderstood and misrepresented.

--Amyness
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

As with most/all religious leaders, I am sure that my edicts are being misunderstood and misrepresented.

--Amyness
    That was good.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

amylong (01-07-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Promotions given as a reward for external class activity... Good, Bad or Ugly?

For example:
    • designing school promotional material
    • bringing in new students
    • performing Sensei's household chores i.e. mowing the lawn, washing his car or laundry, etc...
    Should these favors earn a student quicker promotions?
    Rank is exactly what the instructor makes it out to be. IF it can be earned in simple ways, it's not worth much at all. If it's difficult to get and reflects REAL accomplishment in the subject it's purporting to guage, then it's worth MUCH more.

it is what we make of it.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Promotions As Rewards

--Amyness
    Yes, but we're misunderstanding and misrepresenting them for a good cause,that way people will know we're nobody to be confused with. Or as a wise man once said "I feel a lot more like I do now than I did when got here." -Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links