Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Associations

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Default Associations

Ok here is the question:

With so many associations out there, what would you look for as a primary consideration to joining.

Please do not post association names, names of people who belong to it, or anything that could be considered insulting.

I am not asking why anyone left association X.

Thanks
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 3,146 Times in 1,488 Posts

Default Re: Associations

I guess by default I belong my lineage association. Beyond that, I'm not a joiner. I don't really have any interest in belonging to a formalized association of any kind.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

3. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (12-20-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Honestly, I'm personally trying to stay OUT of associations. They only exist because of greed/politics. If it weren't for that, people wouldn't worry about associations, they'd just shut up and train. All that associations do is seperate people into "us and them" rather than unifying them as kenpo students. (No offense to anyone who does the association thing; it just seems kind of pointless to me)

As for joining... if the association offered some kinds of benefits to the individual, I'd see that as a logical reason. Other than that, I can't really see the point.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Florian Lang For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (12-20-2007),sifuroy (12-20-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Ok here is the question:

With so many associations out there, what would you look for as a primary consideration to joining.

Please do not post association names, names of people who belong to it, or anything that could be considered insulting.

I am not asking why anyone left association X.

Thanks
    In regards to the question, I'd have to say I'd consider the organizations legitimacy: Is it lead by some guy that claims to know the arts or by someone who is certified in some way. Of course, certification often comes from association with an organization! DOH!

Reputation can do a lot. For instance, if an instructor was not certified through an organization, their reputation as a fighter (many wins on the local circuit for example) could serve to give his school or organization legitimacy.

General attitudes of the members would have an affect on my decision. But that goes with me finding something that's a good "fit" for me. That's true for everyone.

Oh yeah...the curriculum! That would most definately be a consideration.

I'm sure there's others....just a few to get things rolling.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

The school I train at is not part of any organization, and I feel that I'm not missing anything. My instructor encourages us to get out there and take seminars and meet other kenpo practitioners, regardless of their association. While I admit that the prospect of being part of a "club" is inviting, I wouldn't want my membership to any one organization jeopardize the bigger picture, which is camaraderie with all my fellow kenpoists.

Perhaps I may join an organization one day, never know what will happen in the future... but for now, I'm happy to be free to meet and socialize and learn from whomever, without worrying about what my "parent" may think. And even if I do join an org, I won't let all that stop me.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RDCParker For This Useful Post:

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

if i was with a school or association that did not want me to interact with other associations or instructors i would leave...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gajewski For This Useful Post:

Ray
    KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I enjoy interacting with others in my organization, getting their take on kenpo and working out with them whenever I can make it to one of the other schools.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

There is nothing wrong with associations and organizations. It is how some misuse the power of the of the association that is wrong.

An association should be more than just somene you have to pay yearly dues to. It should have definite and destinct benefits for its members as well serve as a beacon for the arts.

Possible Benefits:
    • Standardization of requirements for all within the association
    • Advancement for students beyond Black Belt
    • Recognition of rank from school within the association
    • Pooling of resources for better pricing - An associatin can purchase school/student insurance cheaper because of sheer numbers. The same could be done with suppliers.
    • Camp, seminars, and tournaments
    • Professionally produced reference materials
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

don bohrer (12-21-2007),Hunter (12-21-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (12-20-2007),RDCParker (12-21-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    There is nothing wrong with associations and organizations. It is how some misuse the power of the of the association that is wrong.

An association should be more than just somene you have to pay yearly dues to. It should have definite and destinct benefits for its members as well serve as a beacon for the arts.

Possible Benefits:
    • Pooling of resources for better pricing - An associatin can purchase school/student insurance cheaper because of sheer numbers. The same could be done with suppliers.
    I agree sir. Associations / Organizations should be there to serve the members, just as an instructor serves the student. That being said members should be willing to give back in some way. Money is an operational cost, just like class tution. However I dont feel that an association should dictate who and where you may wish to train.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Support and service are the only reasons to belong to an association. Too many out there want your money with little or nothing in return. Years ago I joined an association that promised much and delivered nothing, absolutely nothing. Never so much as received a newsletter or anything, then I get a letter after a year telling me it is time to renew. I hope they weren't holding their breath for my renewal, because I never submitted it.

Kenpo Gary
    "The heart of the Kenpo System has always been practical-effective- Self Defense Techniques." Al Tracy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post

Possible Benefits:

Excellent summary Sir. Your first point hits it for me.

I study Iaido (Araki) at the local college but is headquartered in Japan. When the head sensei visits we receive any stylization changes and corrections to technique that is needed. Keeps everyone lock in step/

don (el paso)
    Daffy, fighting with his $1.25 quarter staff : "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" (quarter staff bounces off log, bending his beak. He straightens it back to normal, and starts speaking to himself) "Something's amiss here... hmm, let me run through it. Ho, haha, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin, ha, thrust." (beak bends again) "Got it." (straightens beak, and starts his fighting moves again.) "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin!"

Thanks

I don't really believe in associations. The only relationship that is particularly important is the one between the student and instructor, and when I choose a new instructor I do so on the quality of that instructor. If I was part of a particular association and I moved to a new area, and I had the choice between a mediocre instructor of "my" organization and an excellent one from outside it, I would choose the better instructor. Having to stay with a fixed curricullum just isn't all that important to me.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

This must be an EPAK thing...Is it because of the splintering that one must decide who to go with?

In Kara-Ho Kempo there is one system, and just one "association". Basically a big family...

I would thing one would join an association to further ones training. Being with a Sensei that does not belong to any association or group is great until he has nothing more to teach you.
    The above is just my opinion.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (12-21-2007),nelson (12-21-2007),Rob Broad (12-21-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

yeah its a epak thing... there are so many groups out there its crazy... im sure alot of other styles have done the same thing.. in fact if they had not done the same thing we might not be doing the styles we do know.. if ya know what im saying.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    Being with a Sensei that does not belong to any association or group is great until he has nothing more to teach you.
    But this is true whether you are in an association or not, either way you are forced to find a new teacher. An organization may make it more obvious where to search for your next teacher, but it doesn't guarantee quality.
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I think avaliability has alot to do with it. If you want to do kenpo and the only school in the are is affiliated with association x then that where's you end up. Also, I would be more concerned about the instructor then the association. I recently changed instructors, and my new instructor has his own association. This had nothing to do with my decision, I went to him beacuse I feel that he's the best in my area, and I like his teaching style.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to MDSmith For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (12-21-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gajewski View Post
    yeah its a epak thing... there are so many groups out there its crazy... im sure alot of other styles have done the same thing.. in fact if they had not done the same thing we might not be doing the styles we do know.. if ya know what im saying.....
    It's rather common through the Korean arts and some of the Japanese systems to be heavily involved with associations. I never really cared for it.

Before I decided to close my jujitsu school, I was looking for an association that might offer sport jujitsu tournatments...Ernie Boggs style tournies...as there are none in Texas. I would love to have the time to develop, promote, and facilitate those types of tournies but, the upper east coast has a great deal more interest in that type of thing than what can be found here. It's still something I'm considering.
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

Thanks

I didn't really even know about associations until a few years ago. I had been in one for years (through my school) and didn't even know it.

The association didn't do anything for me except the head of it was brought in for seminars twice a year. I never got a newsletter either.

If I had an association, I'd be sure that every member was on the list and would get a personalized mailing.

The standardization of the curriculum is a big one. Tara came from one and I came from another and we're always saying, "And how do you do it?"

I was briefly part of another organization recently and the only thing it did, other than take my money, was make sure all of our gi patches looked the same.

Right now, I joined one very loose association. They are there to help with certificates and testing as needed. No fees unless you need something.

I'm fine without any current affiliation. I now get to learn from whoever I want.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Florian Lang View Post
    Honestly, I'm personally trying to stay OUT of associations. They only exist because of greed/politics. If it weren't for that, people wouldn't worry about associations, they'd just shut up and train. All that associations do is seperate people into "us and them" rather than unifying them as kenpo students. (No offense to anyone who does the association thing; it just seems kind of pointless to me)

As for joining... if the association offered some kinds of benefits to the individual, I'd see that as a logical reason. Other than that, I can't really see the point.
    Well stretching that word association into all associations rather than kenpo associations, where there are already might be negative unconscious associations with that word associations might be good to do.

And I do belong to a few associations.

Mainly because if you don't you can't get the state certification to practice. Without that you are doomed to fly under the radar.

Hopefully martial arts will not become that deeply controlled and regulated by the state and the government.

There is a big difference between mandatory, or by choice.

By choice? I only belong to one association.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    Well stretching that word association into all associations rather than kenpo associations, where there are already might be negative unconscious associations with that word associations might be good to do.

And I do belong to a few associations.

Mainly because if you don't you can't get the state certification to practice. Without that you are doomed to fly under the radar.

Hopefully martial arts will not become that deeply controlled and regulated by the state and the government.

There is a big difference between mandatory, or by choice.

By choice? I only belong to one association.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Just curious; what state do you live in that regulates your right to practice? I'd like to know so that I don't ever move there (for that reason). I don't care to have anyone or any entity regulating my teaching or training practices.
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links