Thread: Thought on the mind body connection.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Thought on the mind body connection.

I'm here at work ready to leave for class when this climbed above the noise level thats always in my mind.

Mind Body connection is when you integrate your physical training with the intention of what you're trying to do. Your body has done it a million times and at no point are you lost or your mind wonders.

Different than Mushin - No mind.

Any thoughts or should I just push that thought down below all the constant noise in my head?

don (el paso)
    Daffy, fighting with his $1.25 quarter staff : "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" (quarter staff bounces off log, bending his beak. He straightens it back to normal, and starts speaking to himself) "Something's amiss here... hmm, let me run through it. Ho, haha, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin, ha, thrust." (beak bends again) "Got it." (straightens beak, and starts his fighting moves again.) "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin!"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Thought on the mind body connection.

Don,

Well, in my humble opinion, the mind and body can only work together when they are forced to work under different conditions.

Kind of the old Marine thing (yes, I'm a Marine) about adapting and overcoming.

I try to not only work techniques in their basic form with no modifications, but also by starting them from different reference points and against different types of bodies.

That's kind of stressful, but as I work out the bugs, I get a better understanding of the technique and myself.

You really don't know for absolute certainty if the body and mind will work together under a real live fire situation. But you can stack the odds in your favor by getting in good repititions, not forgetting to breath, and not being too hard on yourself when things don't work out exactly as you planned (few things do).

As an instructor I've seen lots of students get overwhelmed with all the information available about the wonderful martial art GM Parker has addicted many of us to.

But it's getting past the frustrations, learning when to step back, learning when to press forward. Learning the difference between good pain and bad pain.

And most of all, learning to end a post when you're starting to choke on your own caca de toro...

Good luck with your training.....
    Humility is not thinking less of yourself. It's thinking of yourself, less.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FGarza For This Useful Post:

blfycdq (11-30-2007),don bohrer (04-04-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Thought on the mind body connection.

Sounds like an insight to me. And, if you're like me, insights come to seldom to simply disregard.

Jim

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links