Thread: 200+ Kicks... on an 11 Year Old?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Default 200+ Kicks... on an 11 Year Old?

So I saw this article today, thought that I would post it here to see what everyone thinks... not just for children but in general as well. Also here's a link to a video on the subject:
    http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/250.1/popup/index.php?cl=5232294
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Martial arts teacher arrested over 200-plus kicks to student
    By DAVE FORSTER, The Virginian-Pilot
    November 27, 2007
    Last updated: 11:00 PM

SUFFOLK

A karate instructor was arrested and charged with child endangerment after an 11-year-old student said she kicked him in the abdomen more than 200 times, in what police described as a teacher's challenge to her class.

Susan Bateman, 47, of Hampton, was teaching Nov. 7 at the Suffolk dojo of Jeff Bateman's Isshinkan Academy of Martial Arts when the incident happened, said Lt. D.J. George, a police spokeswoman. The boy suffered internal injuries and possibly a broken rib from the kicks, George said.

Bateman, a third-degree black-belt instructor, told her class of about a dozen students that her Hampton pupils had received a certain amount of kicks to the abdomen "and basically challenged them to see how many kicks they could take," George said.
    Each student went down to a push-up position on their knuckles, and Bateman began kicking, George said. Bateman continued until the student told her to stop or went to his or her knees, George said.

Two students, including an 11-year-old boy, received more than 200 kicks, George said.

"The class was counting," George said.

The 11-year-old boy didn't immediately report what had happened. "He didn't tell his parents until he needed medical attention," George said.

Child Protective Services learned of the incident on Nov. 14, and police arrested Bateman on Nov. 20, George said.

Bateman was charged with one felony count of child endangerment. The family of the other student who received more than 200 kicks did not file a report with police, George said.

Bateman is married to Jeff Bateman, who runs the karate schools. She has won gold medals at the Commonwealth Games of Virginia and was named "Associate Instructor of the Year" by the World Karate Union Hall of Fame in 2001, according to her online instructor profile.

In January 2006 she was inducted into the Action Martial Arts Magazine Hall of Fame for "Excellence in Teaching Martial Arts," the profile said.

An employee at the Batemans' Hampton dojo said the couple might issue a statement in the future, but the worker said he was not authorized to comment and would not give his name. A call to the couple's home was not returned.

Such physical contact between an instructor and a young student is unusual at karate schools, said Clint Green, who runs Green's Martial Arts Center in Hampton.

"That is not condoned, period, here," Green said.

Dave Forster, (757) 222-5563, dave.forster@pilotonline.com

2007 HamptonRoads.com/PilotOnline.com
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

Thanks

Default Re: 200+ Kicks... on an 11 Year Old?

That's just obnoxious.

Back and forth kicks between students with light contact .... maybe, but 200 kicks done like that from a grown-up?

We do the back and forth wheelkicks while both in the same stance, holding front hands, but I wouldn't kick someone when they were down, so to speak.

My daughter is 10 and she couldn't take 2 kicks, let alone 200. (Okay, well, maybe two, but she's not fond of it.)

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Send the fool my way, I need a new victim for some of the cane and belt material I am developing.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,146 Times in 1,488 Posts

It's a very strange challenge.

If an 11-year old can withstand her 200 kicks, then either she is holding back and the test has no relevance, or her kicks really really suck...
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I can only say, Wow!

Kenpo Gary

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    It's a very strange challenge.

If an 11-year old can withstand her 200 kicks, then either she is holding back and the test has no relevance, or her kicks really really suck...

She's a fool and shouldn't be allowed to teach children, if at all. Ability does not beget common sense...provided she has ability.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links