Thread: A Pure Martial Art

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default A Pure Martial Art

I frequently visit other forums across the net and a common question I see is "where can I find a pure kenpo, jkd, insert martial art...school".

Is there such a thing as a PURE martial art to YOU?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Default Re: A Pure Martial Art

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    I frequently visit other forums across the net and a common question I see is "where can I find a pure kenpo, jkd, insert martial art...school".

The only true martial art to me is the one I practice and teach. Here is why I say this. I was taught Kenpo from a great instructor, it was his, he gave it to me. It didnt become mine until I taught it to my students. It is the 24 tech system. However my personel insight,experince, and exploration translates through my teaching, as it should be. It is mine, and I give it to my students. In turn my students will do the same at some point in time. Providing that they supply a solid base/ cirriculum to build from before they insert their own personality into the material. At that point it will become theirs.

So the only true art is the one that is true to you.

My Respects
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (11-21-2007),Brother John (11-20-2007),Dianhsuhe (11-20-2007),don bohrer (11-21-2007),Juggernaut (11-20-2007),KenpoHank (11-20-2007)

Thanks

No, no art lasts an instructional generation without change, and you wouldn't necessarily want it to.
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

Brother John (11-20-2007),Juggernaut (11-20-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I completely agree blindside

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

I've never really understood what was meant by a "Pure" martial art.

Could you help me get a handle on that?

Thanks

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Maybe you could find a dojo full of virgin nuns that have never been exposed to the outside world.....that's pretty pure.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

still nobody (11-20-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

The only true martial art to me is the one I practice and teach. Here is why I say this. I was taught Kenpo from a great instructor, it was his, he gave it to me. It didnt become mine until I taught it to my students. It is the 24 tech system. However my personel insight,experince, and exploration translates through my teaching, as it should be. It is mine, and I give it to my students. In turn my students will do the same at some point in time. Providing that they supply a solid base/ cirriculum to build from before they insert their own personality into the material. At that point it will become theirs.

So the only true art is the one that is true to you.

My Respects
    Ok... that was pretty cool... Props to you,
    regards,
    Walt

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kroh For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (11-21-2007)

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

I pretty well go along with Brad. Also there are no unchanged martal arts out there. I guess it depends on what you mean by pure.

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

Thanks

I like Brad Marshall's posts normally, but in my opinion there are too many people making too many changes to the arts we have been handed down. (I am not saying Brad or anyone in particular)

One can call it pure but really the only thing pure about it is "it is the only thing one might know".

These young guys come along (again noone in particular) and study for maybe 10 years, then they split off and "fill in the gaps" that they feel are missing from their art(s). The problem is 10 years (just an arbitrary number) is not enough experience to make something "your own". (IMHO)

I am determined to not make any changes until I have learned everything my style has to teach, too bad there is more than a lifetime worth of material to absorb. I guess I am just assuming Professor Chow and Grandmaster Kuoha have it figured pretty well so I will go ahead and NOT start my own style, not add "techniques", and not break-off preaching a superior art. I would be in the minority I am afraid.

I got off track but in the end there is no "pure" there is only "purer".

jamey
    The above is just my opinion.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (11-21-2007),sifuroy (11-21-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    I like Brad Marshall's posts normally, but in my opinion there are too many people making too many changes to the arts we have been handed down. (I am not saying Brad or anyone in particular)

One can call it pure but really the only thing pure about it is "it is the only thing one might know".

These young guys come along (again noone in particular) and study for maybe 10 years, then they split off and "fill in the gaps" that they feel are missing from their art(s). The problem is 10 years (just an arbitrary number) is not enough experience to make something "your own". (IMHO)

I am determined to not make any changes until I have learned everything my style has to teach, too bad there is more than a lifetime worth of material to absorb. I guess I am just assuming Professor Chow and Grandmaster Kuoha have it figured pretty well so I will go ahead and NOT start my own style, not add "techniques", and not break-off preaching a superior art. I would be in the minority I am afraid.

I got off track but in the end there is no "pure" there is only "purer".

jamey

Mr. Gibson,

Thank you Sir for your support. I agree that changing an art for the sake of change isnt practical. I not saying that. I DO TEACH the art that I know( some call it traditional, I call it the standard starting point).

However over time we do find things that work well for us as individuals, and our personalities are revealed thru the manner in which we teach.

By no means am I suggesting that Im smart enough to start my own system, or change the one I study. I will spend the rest of my life trying to correct a netural bow. That doesnt mean I dont teach it.

My original post asked what determines a new art form. You see I dont think one can. What I have found is that there are specific physical applications to motion. The conceptual thoughts behind their applications may vary,the names may change etc. But for me it is simple truth is this: We Strike,We Kick, We Block,and We Move.

My Respects Sir, and thank you for your insight.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (11-21-2007)

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

There is no such thing as a pure martial art.

What is your parameter(s) to determine purity?

Too many other outside interferences... The first time you take one technique and add another to it, you create an impure martial art (not to be confused with an impure thought which can get you banned to purgatory...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sigung86 For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (11-21-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Well said Mr. Marshall. I agree completely

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (12-03-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

One Martial Artist's purity is another's pollution.

Kenpo Gary

Thanks
    Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,271 Posts

Usually, when I hear "pure martial art" it is from a traditionalist that thinks that the lineage of a style is the most important thing. I hear them talk about how the style has remained "unchanged" since it's founder created it. Usually, any style that comes after theirs is not as good.

It always seems to miss the point that there are no pure arts remaining. ALL arts are a collection of things learned from other people or styles. The founders studied one or more styles and then added to it or subtracted other things and started a new style based on their experience and approach.

Looking at EPAK. What is "pure" and at what point is it the purest? When you look at it's evolution. Some people may chose a historical point in the styles history and to them define their purity from that definition (Tracy's approach is that their traditional kenpo is pure based on the teachings of Mitose/Chow/Parker--note this is not a slam against the Tracy's approach at all, just an observation that not all people liked some of the evolutions that were made). Others may chose what was in the Infinite Insights books as their definition of what EPAK was and base their purity on that. Others may mean that all incarnations of EPAK that use GM Parker's teachings are pure and the branches that add filipino arts for stick/knife or BJJ for grappling are not pure.

If you look at JKD, which "era" are you refering to? The Jun Fan Gung Fu era? There are groups that teach a specific era that call themselves "original jkd" and there is a group that feels that JKD shouldn't be a set curriculum at all and teaches "concepts jkd". Is what Dan Inosanto JKD at all because he teaches the concepts from a Filipino background? There are some that feel he isn't because it isn't what Bruce Lee taught.

I think the same can be done with ANY martial art that has been around awhile. You are going to have splinter groups and branches in it and a disagreement as to what is pure or not.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (12-03-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links