Thread: Artistic Preservation vs Self Preservation

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Artistic Preservation vs Self Preservation

There are those that do certain things or teach certain things for the sake of preserving the "art" or legacy of the "founder" or what not.

Why do things for historical or artistic preservation? Do you agree or disagree with it?

Some teach or do things just as Ed Parker taught or did them.

Should things be taught only based on the self preservation value of what is being presented?

What are your thoughts?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Juggernaut For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (11-20-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Default Re: Artistic Preservation vs Self Preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    There are those that do certain things or teach certain things for the sake of preserving the "art" or legacy of the "founder" or what not.

Why do things for historical or artistic preservation? Do you agree or disagree with it?

Should things be taught only based on the self preservation value of what is being presented?

What are your thoughts?
    Good question,

Traditional application may have a solid purpose, and the only one who really can answer that is the person who created its application. We are all bound to it in some form. We follow tradition just by studying Kenpo ( in its names, salute, and basics found in the system). Those who teach things just the way Mr. Parker did, may do so to provide the student the refrence point to build from. Supplying basicly the same starting point. To ask what is the value of being taught based on self preservation of whats presented depends on what the content would be of the context, and the vehical of delivery.

My Respects
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Brother John (12-06-2007),Juggernaut (11-20-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

The original post didnt get much reply, so I thought I would re-surface the topic.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    The original post didnt get much reply, so I thought I would re-surface the topic.
    I'm very glad you did!
    I think it's very WORTHY of discussion!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Ray
    KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

My first teacher told me that "every movement in kenpo has a self-defense application."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

While I appreciate tradition, I'm very practical by nature.

I respect those that wish to express themselves through the artistic and/or traditional aspects of the martial arts. Those are things that should be preserved.

However, on a personal level I prefer to focus on the practical and useful aspects of self-defense. I do not feel the need to "express" myself. I study Kenpo to make sure I end up home safe every day. So that's what's important to me.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Determining what is for mere historical interest and what really works is kind of dicey. It is often after many years of practicing what was once seemed useless the light goes on and its practicality is discovered.

Kenpo Gary

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenpo Gary For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (12-07-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    While I appreciate tradition, I'm very practical by nature.

I respect those that wish to express themselves through the artistic and/or traditional aspects of the martial arts. Those are things that should be preserved.

However, on a personal level I prefer to focus on the practical and useful aspects of self-defense. I do not feel the need to "express" myself. I study Kenpo to make sure I end up home safe every day. So that's what's important to me.
    Can't argue with that. I see kenpo as pretty simple - its a tool for hurting, maiming, and killing other people in the protection of one's peace. I might glean higher, more esoteric benefits through by virtue of training, dedication, etc., but these can be gained by many paths of diligence. So, I keep the artistic and expressionist things the define my life separate from kenpo - like my gun, kenpo is there to protect those things, not embody them.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
    UKF

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post

What are your thoughts?
    If the artistic preservation allows people insight into how the instructor's thought process worked, then maybe it should be preserved.

I've always believed that in Kenpo we have direct and indirect parts of the Art.

Direct applications are basics/techniques that can be used in self-defense.

Indirect applications are thoughts/basics/techniques that help us apply the direct applications better.

I also believe that the mental aspect of self-defense is often ignored.

Consequently some traditional martial arts are looked down upon. Where in truth, the mental aspects that those traditional martial arts instill have the potential to protect the student better than physical techniques applied without the proper mindset.

So train your mind and body. Don't discard a traditional technique until you fully explore its' purpose, as well as why it's part of the Art.
    Humility is not thinking less of yourself. It's thinking of yourself, less.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FGarza For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (12-07-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I would rather fight well than look good fighting poorly. Looking good and fighting good, that's the ultimate!

Kenpo Gary
    "The heart of the Kenpo System has always been practical-effective- Self Defense Techniques." Al Tracy

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links