Thread: imparting knowledge vs. fostering self-discovery

Thanks

Default imparting knowledge vs. fostering self-discovery

Taken from the thread “Speed Accelerator's” any thoughts on the title of this thread.

I have to admit I was a little set back by the first comment in that thread. I struggled with the idea and application of rebounding and slap checks the first time I was introduced to them. But after looking at them with new eyes in a way coming back after an 8 month break I see a lot of things differently now. Call it time looking inward or just more time in this style but I am starting to understand the application and use better.

What are some of your thoughts, what in your opinion is better to pass along to a student and what should be learned on your own?
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hemi For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (11-21-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: imparting knowledge vs. fostering self-discovery

I personally think that both should be happening on a continual basis. There are many things that can be imparted and some things that only experience can be the teacher. There are also things that should be imparted at a certain time in a students training and understanding. Giving advanced knowledge to a person who has yet to understand the fundamentals can do more harm than good to their martial progress.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Juggernaut For This Useful Post:

Blindside (11-20-2007),hemi (11-20-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (11-20-2007),Mikael151 (11-21-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    I personally think that both should be happening on a continual basis. There are many things that can be imparted and some things that only experience can be the teacher. There are also things that should be imparted at a certain time in a students training and understanding. Giving advanced knowledge to a person who has yet to understand the fundamentals can do more harm than good to their martial progress.
    You are correct, so if both the teacher and student apply observation along with application, they may be able to communicate the conceptual thought behind the when.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (11-21-2007),Juggernaut (11-20-2007)

Thanks

Many times, I must be told something several times for the light switch to turn on. Sometimes, I understand a concept on a cursory level but, when I have to teach it...suddenly it makes more sense than ever before. Revelations happen for me all the time and I just couldn't imagine that I'd enjoy these occurances in the face of "figure it out yourself".

My wholistic view of this is that if I can show you everything I know, you will then be able to learn more and create a wonderful progression of knowledge, not just "now you know exactly what I know". I will teach a technique in jujitsu and then teach the counter or defense right away. I feel that I'm being the best teacher I can be if I teach everything I know.

If I teach you everything I know and you can expand that knowledge then we have innovation, improvement, and a better art. If I withhold any aspect of what I know then we have just another person who has less than me...which ain't much. Sure, some skills and understanding runs deeper than me telling you. You have to experience it...feel it...contemplate it...chew on it to get the bitter or sweet truth of it. But, you'd be chewing on air if I told you "go figure it out for yourself".

I have to go...I could elaborate on this for hours but, the kids have to be retrieved from school.

Have a great afternoon and God bless,
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

Thanks

Interesting...

I absolutely do not teach someone "everything I know' not because it is a secret but simply because the student does not necessarily NEED to know all at once.

I keep it simple to teach a movement, then a combo, then the KI principles, etc.

Imagine trying to learn to drive a car when the teacher tells you EVERYTHING at one time at the very beginning. It would be over-whelming and nearly impossible.

I am on a "need to know" with my seniors and my juniors are on a need to know with me. Having said that I HEAVILY ENCOURAGE questions- I actually require students to have a question each class in order to get them thinking critically. I also answer every questions I know or I will get the answer---What I do not do is overwhelm a student with a concept or movement.
    The above is just my opinion.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (11-21-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    Interesting...

I absolutely do not teach someone "everything I know' not because it is a secret but simply because the student does not necessarily NEED to know all at once.
    I think you read too much into what I wrote...not your fault...I wrote rather quickly and didn't take the time to ensure that I was clear. I don't teach everything at once. But, if a person studies with me for long enough, they will inevitably learn everything I know.

I watched a TKD match between teacher and student in the Olympics held in Korea. Before the match, the student apporached the teacher and thanked him for teaching him everything he knows. The teacher replied with, "It's good for me that I didn't teach you everything that I know".

To me, that's just wrong.

I keep it simple to teach a movement, then a combo, then the KI principles, etc.

Imagine trying to learn to drive a car when the teacher tells you EVERYTHING at one time at the very beginning. It would be over-whelming and nearly impossible.
    I couldn't agree more.

I am on a "need to know" with my seniors and my juniors are on a need to know with me. Having said that I HEAVILY ENCOURAGE questions- I actually require students to have a question each class in order to get them thinking critically. I also answer every questions I know or I will get the answer---What I do not do is overwhelm a student with a concept or movement.
    With every ounce of respect I can muster, I honestly could not train with someone who told me I was on a need to know basis. I am there to learn and the instructor is there to teach me. If it means that he needs to review pricipals, concepts or techniques several times to aid in my retention then, so be it. To table a concept becuase it will be covered extensively in another belt level is not a problem for me...I can understand that. But, to act as if I am wasting the instructor's time by wanting to know something that I've been exposed to at my belt level would most certainly mean that I won't have to pay another month's tuition because I won't be back. It is up to me not to get overwhelmed. If I feel that we're moving too fast then I say so. I encourage my students to do the same so that they can get the full benefit of what I have to offer.

~Peace
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

Thanks

The two go hand in hand. Share a little and see if the student "gets it". If they do-share some more. If not, wait until they do and of course, try to help. Like Bruce Lee said, a good teacher merely points the way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links