Thread: Kickboxing, I suck!!!

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Kickboxing, I suck!!!

When I shadow box, I look good. Tight punches. Fast. OK technique.

But when I spar someone, I lose it! I get overwhelmed by most of my opponents. I'm slow!! I forget to keep my hands up. I know I telegraph. I forget most oh what sensei says within seconds.

I can't fight at all! I want to be able to fight. I'm 35 and don't expect much but I've been doing this for 6 or so YEARS. I'm not improving.

But I want to. Help?!?!?!

Thanks

Default Re: Kickboxing, I suck!!!

How long have you been sparring?

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

6 (ish) years.

Thanks

I struggle with those problems. Any improvements that I've made have been through a simple, four-letter word: Drill, drill, drill. If you're still not improving, drill some more. It's all a process for those of us who don't have the natural proclivities of the arts
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

Thanks

What is your mental state when you are in the ring? Anxious? Pissed off? Do you get tired very easily when you are sparring?

To me this sounds like a mental thing, if you "look good" while shadowboxing the technique is in there somewhere, your teacher/coach just hasn't brought it out.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Maybe you can try to do what I call positive visioning. Let me explain how it works. I used to bowl professionally. Before I took my shot, I ran through everything in mind, imagining and watching myself doing everything perfect from start to finish and ending up with a strike.

Doing this helps prepare you mentally and relaxes you, as it will give you more confidence as you prepare to perform. It almost works like a self hypnosis after you perfect it.

If your basics are all there, then the rest is all mental! At the top level so all sports most experts agree it is about 10% skill (because all of the athletes at that level have the skill which is almost equal in reltaion to each other) and 90% mental. So if you have the basics, the rest is mental. Relaxation and positive attitude and confidence are what you should be working on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jjpregler For This Useful Post:

Richard Finn (10-08-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I know this may sound strange at first but....

STOP THINKING ABOUT IT!

Like Nike says....just do it. Your training will be reflected once you RELAX and let it take over.

Allow yourself to "go with the flow" and be "spontaneous." You'll begin to see openings and your confidence will improve.

Remember to breath, that helps you stay relaxed.

Focus, but don't think about what you're going to do or how you're going to react if he/she does X, Y, or Z. It's okay to have a strategy, but don't over-think in the ring.

Hope that helps.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Brother John (10-12-2007),Richard Finn (10-08-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Practice reactionary drills until they are second nature, get your hands on the old Bill "Superfoot " Wallace sparring video and work through his material, it will help you improve.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

My mental state when sparring is SCARED!! Frustrated and slightly depressed.

You guys must be right...someone else told me it was probably my state of mind also.

Thanks for the advice!

I'll try to stop (over)thinking so hard.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooInvolved View Post

You guys must be right...someone else told me it was probably my state of mind also.

Thanks for the advice!

Were you ever hurt sparring? I don't know what type of sparring your school does, but I do know that some may ever be able to get over this fear. But you need to if you are to perform at you best. Maybe something like the Mighty Ducks movie that they did for the goalie, they tied him to the goal posts and shot pucks at him. I know it's a movie, but really the only way to get over the fear of being hit is to be hit. So let someone hit you. Find someone you trust and let them hit you. Face your fear and experience what you are afraid of and you will realize that it is not aS bad as you feel it is.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Hi TooInvolved.

You might try these suggestions.

1. Work on just a hand full of basic combos with a partner. Nothing fancy. Your partner should not fight back. Ask him to briefly create openings for you to attack. This helps with timing and distancing. Once your comfortable with this switch rolls. As time progresses each of you can tighten up the openings and pick up the pace. Don't rush this drill. Keep things half speed or a little quicker. The point of this drill isn't fighting, but to teach you to recognize your opponents openings and where you may be open.

2. Watch other fighters when you're not sparring. For the next couple months watch other fighters and where they're open. Make a mental note of why you thought they were open (hands dropped, walks in for kick, etc). Don't get caught up in what the fighters are doing or what you'd do. Just look for openings. With practice you'll start spotting openings quickly.

After a short time of looking for openings start mentally countering. Don't worry if the fighters do something different than you'd do. Just start counter fighting in your head. Once you really start watching other fighters you'll learn how they fight. You should also spot openings quicker. Working some basic punch/kick combos and watching the other fighters should help improve your timing.

Hope this is useful advice.

don (el paso)
    Daffy, fighting with his $1.25 quarter staff : "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" (quarter staff bounces off log, bending his beak. He straightens it back to normal, and starts speaking to himself) "Something's amiss here... hmm, let me run through it. Ho, haha, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin, ha, thrust." (beak bends again) "Got it." (straightens beak, and starts his fighting moves again.) "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin!"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to don bohrer For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (11-06-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Imagine that what you're describing isn't "Sparring" but any other thing that is challenging...
    what if I was going to go swimming, competitively....and I brought with me the mindset that I was overwhelmed, intimidated and scared.
    I'd Stink at it.

No matter what it is, you'll only do as well as your mental state empowers you too.

Crippler is RIGHT....
    Stop thinking about it.
    Learn to ENJOY the process...........enjoy it!! Don't fear it.
    What is there to fear? Looking bad? Pain???
    What do you expect to gain through sparring? If the payoff isn't worth the price, don't do it. IF it's required, then it's required....and you'd better learn to cope with it.

stop thinking about it
    enjoy it
    or use your time for something that'll be worth it for you.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

When I shadow box, I look good. Tight punches. Fast. OK technique.

But when I spar someone, I lose it! I get overwhelmed by most of my opponents. I'm slow!! I forget to keep my hands up. I know I telegraph. I forget most oh what sensei says within seconds.

I can't fight at all! I want to be able to fight. I'm 35 and don't expect much but I've been doing this for 6 or so YEARS. I'm not improving.

But I want to. Help?!?!?!
    Sorry but I will say it is probably your trainer "if" you do as you stated above.

There are certain elements of sports psychology that should be addressed for sparring so you do not go into over arousal and blow your skills.

You are not getting them.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Thanks for the advice!

That is easily taken care of.

Where do you live and I'll recommend someone to you if I know anyone there.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links