Thread: Tornado kick

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Tornado kick

Ack! I can't do one well. We're on Universal 4 now. Any tips on how to do a good TK?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Tornado kick

If you are doing a Tornado Kick/Hurricane Kick like most people I have seen then then you will want to stomp after the initial inside crescent kick action to generate power to propel you into the airborne part of the kick.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

This sounds like an airborne type kick, I'm not familiar with it.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I am not familiar with ‘Universal 4,’ but I am familiar with a few different kicks that have been referred to as a ‘Tornado Kick.’

The one I think you’re referring to is one in which you would push off of the ground, spinning wheel kick, and land all on the same leg.

With that as the right leg, I have also seen a left spinning hook added just before the right foot leaves the ground and just after it has landed. That man exuded aerial talent.

The way I learned to do this kick was to start with the right leg back.

1)Step forward to start rotational momentum (this could be a crescent kick, as Rob mentioned).
    Be sure to bend your knees and center enough for a good takeoff.

2a)Turn your head first
    2b)lift the left knee up as you push off with the right for more lift (still rotating)

You are now in the air

3a) continue to turn the hips over(or you will do a crescent kick, and land in the “wrong” direction)
    3b) execute the kick, leg following through and down to landing.

4) your leg is down and you land on it, with some bend in the knee, facing 'backwards'

When I first started it I had to go down to my knees on the landing even if I did everything else correctly, until my leg and hip on one side alone were strong enough to catch me. I was sore for a week

I would also recommend being comfortable with the kick landing on the other leg first, before going all the way to the same leg. Sort of a ‘walk before you run’ thing.

This is very summarized. For example, I hate saying anything as generic as “execute the kick,” but a full explanation with all of the keys would take many pages, and I’m not even sure this is the kick that you meant.

Anthony Sgambellone

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Awesome. Thanks! I'll have to read this more closely to see if it's the same kick and post more later.

Best, TI

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

There are many variations to this kick - crescent to start, roundhouse to start and so on. But the idea is to build momentum up with one kick that gets you spinning so that you can follow through with the aerial part of it.

My Muy Thai friend does one that is SOO impressive and fast that it is very hard to defend against if he does not telegraph it first.

But the detailed description given before is pretty accurate and about as much detail as can be given without you seeing it executed in a video or some other visual manner.

I still can not do it as quickly or with as clean an execution as my Muy Thai friend but the key is generating enough energy in the initial kicking movement to propel you into the aerial.
    Devil Dog Mark
    Hawaiian Kempo & Okinawan Kubudo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

An easy way to practice this kick is to get the spins down first with your legs chambered. Do not worry about executing the kick until you get your balance down first.
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjpregler For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (10-09-2007),Devildogmrk (10-10-2007),HKphooey (10-09-2007)

Thanks

this one girl thats a TKD black belt has been trying to teach us how to do these latel.. these are the reason why my legs hurt so much today.. its SO DAMN HARD to do a roundhouse as opposed to a cresent kick when you're from a system we bring the knee up, then rotate.. as opposed to roundhouse from the hip.

thankyou so much.. that vid will come in handy at home.
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links