Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats a Martial artist?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Default Whats a Martial artist?

Martial Artist

What does it mean to be a martial artist? What would determine if they are a martial artist in their view and those of others? What examples do they set forth for others to aspire to? These are serious questions that require a serious approach and honest reflection of ones inner self to answer.

Some people may argue that a martial artist is someone who has reached a level of expertise in a specific style or system of the combative arts. They have perfected movement, in their style; they can speak as well as understand the terminology. However this is only part of a much larger picture. So far I believe this only defines someone who studies the martial arts. There may be those who disagree but conceptual theory is always subjective to debate.

Ones physical ability to execute pre-determined movement is a pre-cursor to the understanding of how ones body moves, reacts to impules, and initiates the programmed reflex of natural offensive and defensive actions. Notice that I stated the natural reflexive action, this is executed without thought but done out of instinctive reaction on a spontaneous level.

A martial artist doesn’t rely merely on their physical ability of combat to be a successful martial artist; they also look at the outside influences of the world and take what is available on an intellectual, psychological, emotional and spiritual level to be successful.
    They have the ability to spontaneously formulate to any given situation. Their perspective
    does not dictate what is and is not justifiable, but places the need of others before their own.

Martial artist try to set forth an example of humility, understanding, respect, and honesty. We are all human and often fall short of the goal set before us. However a martial artist continues to learn from those mistakes and openly shares those mistakes so others may learn from them as well. They are teachers not only of the combative arts but mentors in life as well. They constantly give of themselves by placing others first and serving the community their students and the martial arts world. This establishes them as a leader in their specific field of study and sets them apart as those who serve as opposed to being served. They do not seek fame, and often live their lives quietly teaching to only a handful of people, but share their knowledge and input with many.

They have a responsibility to continue the evolution of the arts and to train their replacements with students that are better trained and better suited for the task then they are.

Again this is just my perspective nothing more.

My Respects
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Brother John (09-28-2007),hemi (11-09-2007),Hunter (09-27-2007),jdinca (09-28-2007),John Brewer (09-28-2007),nelson (09-27-2007),RDCParker (09-28-2007),Richard Finn (09-28-2007),sifuroy (11-06-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Default Re: Whats a Martial artist?

Brad, don't take my answer as flippant, just because it might be funny.

But to me, a Martial Artist is someone who, when their wife says "David, not everything is Kempo", replies with complete conviction "Yes it is."

-David
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (09-27-2007),hemi (11-09-2007),jdinca (09-28-2007),John M. La Tourrette (09-27-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

There's the text book definition: one who practices martial arts, which is defined as any of the traditional forms of Oriental self-defense or combat that utilize physical skill and coordination without weapons, as karate, aikido, judo, or kung fu, often practiced as sport.

Then there's what it means to each of us individually...which is where I think you were probably going with this....

To me, a martial artist is someone that strives for improvement. Not only in themselves but for the betterment of all. At the risk of sounding corny, a martial artist strives to exhibit characteristics that one might associate with the classic hero; courage, discipline, humility, and dependability. Is a martial artisit perfect? Not at all, but what separates them from the rest is their desire and courage to always try and not fear setbacks or failures.

Granted, what it means to me is a bit on the philosophical or even idealist side, but that's the way I see it. Perhaps it's a result of watching too much "Kung-Fu Theatre" as a boy. LOL.

There are many more dimensions to being a martial artist though. There are those that strive for betterment that do not know the first thing about martial arts. Perhaps they have a "martial spirit." Other things would include practicing a martial art of course, but in relation to what I said earlier I don't believe a "real" martial artist would ever use their knowledge or skill to hurt another unless it was really necessary.

Enough bloviating for now.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Brother John (09-28-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (09-27-2007),nelson (09-27-2007),Richard Finn (09-28-2007),sifuroy (11-06-2007)

Thanks

My definition is pretty simplistic, a martial artist is someone who studies martial arts.

I don't place any moral bounds on this definition, you can be a bad person and be a good martial artist. Certainly kenpo has its share of black hats in its family tree, were they not martial artists?

And I don't place a quality standard either, that white belt who can barely figure out the neutral bow without a line on the ground is a martial artist, just not a very experienced one.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

Wanderer (11-13-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Martial Artist

What does it mean to be a martial artist? What would determine if they are a martial artist in their view and those of others? What examples do they set forth for others to aspire to? These are serious questions that require a serious approach and honest reflection of ones inner self to answer.

Some people may argue that a martial artist is someone who has reached a level of expertise in a specific style or system of the combative arts. They have perfected movement, in their style; they can speak as well as understand the terminology. However this is only part of a much larger picture. So far I believe this only defines someone who studies the martial arts. There may be those who disagree but conceptual theory is always subjective to debate.

Ones physical ability to execute pre-determined movement is a pre-cursor to the understanding of how ones body moves, reacts to impules, and initiates the programmed reflex of natural offensive and defensive actions. Notice that I stated the natural reflexive action, this is executed without thought but done out of instinctive reaction on a spontaneous level.

A martial artist doesn’t rely merely on their physical ability of combat to be a successful martial artist; they also look at the outside influences of the world and take what is available on an intellectual, psychological, emotional and spiritual level to be successful.
    They have the ability to spontaneously formulate to any given situation. Their perspective
    does not dictate what is and is not justifiable, but places the need of others before their own.

Martial artist try to set forth an example of humility, understanding, respect, and honesty. We are all human and often fall short of the goal set before us. However a martial artist continues to learn from those mistakes and openly shares those mistakes so others may learn from them as well. They are teachers not only of the combative arts but mentors in life as well. They constantly give of themselves by placing others first and serving the community their students and the martial arts world. This establishes them as a leader in their specific field of study and sets them apart as those who serve as opposed to being served. They do not seek fame, and often live their lives quietly teaching to only a handful of people, but share their knowledge and input with many.

They have a responsibility to continue the evolution of the arts and to train their replacements with students that are better trained and better suited for the task then they are.

Again this is just my perspective nothing more.

My Respects
    Well, they must be at least 35 years old, with an IQ above 130, have at least 15 years of active participation...plus they must be 6' 2" and weigh no more than 197 lbs.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (10-01-2007),sifuroy (11-09-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    But to me, a Martial Artist is someone who, when their wife says "David, not everything is Kempo", replies with complete conviction "Yes it is."
    I think your answer is a very serious, attitudinal answer.

Nice.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (11-06-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    My definition is pretty simplistic, a martial artist is someone who studies martial arts.

I don't place any moral bounds on this definition, you can be a bad person and be a good martial artist. Certainly kenpo has its share of black hats in its family tree, were they not martial artists?

And I don't place a quality standard either, that white belt who can barely figure out the neutral bow without a line on the ground is a martial artist, just not a very experienced one.

Lamont
    I really like what Lamont has said here. History is replete with people studying various systems and using them with evil intent. When learning any art there are basics to master and levels of achievment recognized by those who know the field. Those who I would respect the most follow pretty close to what Brad and others have outlined. That does not mean other people are not artists. I have seen what appears to my poor uneducated mind seriously disturbed stuff passing for art. It is still somebodys art.
    Hands on Healer

"If you can not be King be a healer."

"The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Finn For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (10-01-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    Well, they must be at least 35 years old, with an IQ above 130, have at least 15 years of active participation...plus they must be 6' 2" and weigh no more than 197 lbs.
    Wow, I'm overweight by 35 lbs and still have a year and a half to go before I'm 35... but 3 out of 5 ain't bad, right?
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by domino3700 View Post
    Wow, I'm overweight by 35 lbs and still have a year and a half to go before I'm 35... but 3 out of 5 ain't bad, right?
    Hmmm.... I meet the age requirment...and the IQ requirement as well...is that 15 years in a row? LOL....let's see....Oh, I'm only 6' even...and well over 197...I weigh 225. Oh well....I guess I'm out then...there's no way I could get down to 197 or add 2 inches to my height without putting on platforms...
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (10-01-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

I've age, IQ and weight (barely). I'm cool with 3 out of 5.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Finn View Post
    History is replete with people studying various systems and using them with evil intent. .
    Not sure what you mean.
    XXXw was a pimp and a bouncer at a whore house, but his Kenpo was awesome.
    XXXXki had two wives, plus he'd dress up in a skirt so he looked like a little old lady so muggers would attack him, then he'd beat them up viciously, just for practice.
    Are you somehow combining philosophies with the kenpo arts, and if someone is NOT congruent with your own philosophies, then they are not a martial artist?
    Just curious.

Thanks

Martial artist try to set forth an example of humility, understanding, respect, and honesty.
    I did like most of your post Mr. Marshall, but the above, to me are just philosophical differences and personality differences, and have virtually nothing to do with any definition of someone who is a craftsman of his specific martial art.

Thanks

I'm just curious if anyone has yet figured out the "reasons behind" the above post I posted.

Hint!

It has nothing to do with "valid" criteria or definition of a martial artist.

Dr. JOHN M. La TOURRETTE

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post

Lamont
    Is there a difference between someone who studies the martial arts and a martial artist.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

I'm just curious if anyone has yet figured out the "reasons behind" the above post I posted.

Hint!

Dr. JOHN M. La TOURRETTE
    I took it as satire
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

Thanks

Dr. JOHN M. La TOURRETTE
    Dr. John,

I think the norms that people place on the "MOLD" of a martial artist may be the reason for your post. I feel that a persons perception dictates their critreia for what is and isnt a martial artist. I know when I wrote my perspective, it was based on my perception and had nothing to do with the martial arts,but how I feel one should live their life.

My Respect Sir
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

Is there a difference between someone who studies the martial arts and a martial artist.
    I think you missed his point.

Then you switched to different criteria. Time versus philosophies.

How about "skill" requirements?

Thanks

Dr. John,
    I know when I wrote my perspective, it was based on my perception and had nothing to do with the martial arts,but how I feel one should live their life.
    How can you do that?

To me that smacks of prejudice.

ie, "if someone lives their life in a manner I do not approve of then I cannot accept their martial arts skills".

I don't believe that.

WE are not preachers, we do not turn the other cheek. Most of us are fighters and fight people.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    I took it as satire
    Yes,

My point exactly.

Thanks

How can you do that?

To me that smacks of prejudice.

ie, "if someone lives their life in a manner I do not approve of then I cannot accept their martial arts skills".

I don't believe that.

WE are not preachers, we do not turn the other cheek. Most of us are fighters and fight people.
    You are correct Sir it is pre-determined prejudice. Isnt that what all oppinions are based on.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links