Thread: What is the best way to train at home

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default What is the best way to train at home

Ok, you're at home on a off day. What is your traning program like on those days? Do you attempt to simulate a class? Do you wokr on a lot of different things, or do you focus on specific things?

I've been bouncing around in my home workouts. Somedays, I will do one thing over and over for an hour, like running through a form for an hour straight. Usually my focus is either on something brand new that I learned or something I've been having troubles with. Other days, I try to cover everything I know for a bit. Running through every technique, basic and form at least once.

MJS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 599 Posts

Default Re: What is the best way to train at home

Quote Originally Posted by jjpregler View Post
    Ok, you're at home on a off day. What is your traning program like on those days? Do you attempt to simulate a class? Do you wokr on a lot of different things, or do you focus on specific things?

I've been bouncing around in my home workouts. Somedays, I will do one thing over and over for an hour, like running through a form for an hour straight. Usually my focus is either on something brand new that I learned or something I've been having troubles with. Other days, I try to cover everything I know for a bit. Running through every technique, basic and form at least once.
    Some days, I'll just focus either on techniques or forms. I'll run thru everything, from beginning to end. Technique days, I'll try to do the tech. twice, once slow, making sure that I'm hitting the fine points, and once a bit faster. Forms pretty much the same, only I do each one once. I'll either go slower, focusing on stances, proper strike position, etc., or at a faster pace.

Mike

Thanks

Good question. It's very helpful for this newbie to find out how people develop the finer points in the techniques when an instructor is not available but for two days each week.

~Peace
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

We joined a cheap little gym in town and it has a room set aside for aerobics which is never being used when I go in to workout. But first let me say that I consider the weight training, the treadmill, stairmaster, whatever you may use for aerobic expercise as part of my martial arts training. But anyway, I digress back to my main point...

The room mentioned earlier is encompassed with a mirror on all sides. I really had no idea how much it would help to see myself doing techniques, forms, and sets until I was able to watch WHILE I was practicing. If something doesn't look right...it probably isn't. I have been able to fix a lot of things simply by watching myself in the mirror as I run through the forms, techniques, sets, whatever.

So whenever I can, I hit the little gym so I can watch myself for the purposes of correction. I usually run through the kicking set anywhere from 10-15 times first because A) it helps me with my kicks which are a particular weakness of mine, B) it really gets the blood flowing, and C) I've noticed it has really helped to improve my balance.

I do short form 1 and long form 1 first. I do them focusing on correctness the first couple of times through, even stopping every once in a while to check positioning for things like bracing angles, and where my blocks are covering. After I feel satisfied with their correctness, I do them two to three times for speed and power. If I make an obvious mistake, I redo it.

I usually need a bit of a breather, so I'll slow down and catch up with the stance set. Then I'll usually practice all techniques from yellow to purple, giving extra attentions to the ones I need the most work on. For the ones I know very well, I usually do them very had, focusing on power and speed. I may walk through the "trouble areas" before doing them for power and speed. After that, I'll go through the blocking set and striking set before ending my training for that day with some work on the form I'm working hardest on right now, short form 2. That's usually a pretty darn good workout and my body is ready to quit at the time.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: What is the best way to train at home

Hello everybody
    Bro 2 train at home sometimes is difficult, but if u get the focus u can get good results, first, u have to know that your classes are not everyday so your day off gonna b important 2 get better many points, FORMS, u ll repeat it thrice, trying to get the real point, image the adversaries, and do the Form , THECHN., WELL U know u have to repeat them using different speed, first, slow , cause u r introducing the techn in your mind, second fast and third fast but in combat position , so u can train some aspects u had weak in classes and so son
    Please forgive my english , thats not my language

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Ok, you're at home on a off day. What is your traning program like on those days? Do you attempt to simulate a class? Do you wokr on a lot of different things, or do you focus on specific things? .
    I do train at home, every day, twice a day.

Those are the morning energy drills and the evening energy drills.

They take only 15 minutes (5 minutes on a rebounder, an 10 on actual drills for the chakras, meridians, lymphatics and radiant circuits).

My kenpo takes care of itself. That's why I teach 3-4 hours a day 4 days a week, and I've done that for the last 37 years of my life.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I enjoy bag work when I can train alone without distractions.

Kenpo Gary
    "The heart of the Kenpo System has always been practical-effective- Self Defense Techniques." Al Tracy

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

First off, let me state that I am a beginner.

I warm up and stretch until I feel limber enough to begin my in home practice. I work on my yellow belt techniques, focusing a LOT on the placement of my feet, working on my stances. I also practice my kicks, punches and Short Form 1. I don't just "go through" everything, when I know I have made a mistake, I stop and I go through the particular technique or movement again slower, trying to do it correctly. Often I will spend a majority of time on whatever seems to be giving me the most difficulty. I let my instructor fine tune me during my lessons. I carry over my instructors corrections to me from my lesson and work on those things at home.

My home practice work out usually lasts within an hour depending on what I am working on. If I feel like things aren't "feeling" right in any particular aspect of my practice (usually all of it haha), then I focus more on that particular area. I practice my techniques approx. 10X on each and go through Short Form 1 at least 10X in addition to my basic punching and kicking.

So, I would say I work on everything that I have learned and I focus more on the areas that provide me either with some difficulty or areas that I feel don't seem to "flow" comfortably. On a day by day basis some things seem to click and for some reason, others don't.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links