Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Fitness Advice

  1. #1
    jjpregler's Avatar
    jjpregler is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Levittown, PA
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 54 Times in 33 Posts

    Default Fitness Advice

    One of my goals for joining a Kenpo school was weight loss. I have been on a diet since I joined and doing well with one exception. One thing I have cut out is eating after dinner. Late night calories are not worked off. Being that I am 310 now (I gained 100 pounds since I quit Kenpo) My doctor told to to go on a 2400 calorie diet, avoiding foods high is fat and sugars.

    However, when I go to class in the evening I get home around 10pm and I am starving. After a heavy workout I have an urge to eat almost a full meal. I have several questions for any fitness experts:

    1) Is it ok to eat, since I just worked out?
    2) If it is ok, how much and what is good to eat at that time? I usually go to bed within an hour after getting home.
    3) Should I cut down on earlier calories to save a few hundred for after class or will this cut down on my energy too much to train?

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjpregler For This Useful Post:

    Brother John (08-31-2007),Dianhsuhe (08-31-2007)

  3. #2
    Benny-AR is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked 51 Times in 33 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    If you're anything like me, if you stay hungry, you won't stay on the plan. So for me, if I was constantly hungry, it would have disaster written all over it and I would probably end up gorging myself right before I go to bed. I started Weight Watchers in late February and went gone fro 265 lbs to 220 lbs. I like WW because it doesn't tell what you can and can't eat. It just gives a set number of points to budget and you can use them however you want each day. I started off with 40 points and that was a LOT of food if you try to eat low-point foods. I wasn't hungry at all, even at the beginning.

    WW also has a list of free foods that don't count against your points for the day such as a cup of strawberries or dill pickles. You can them guilt-free. An added bonus of WW is the 35 flex points they give you a week to spend however you want. I usually saved all 35 points up for a weekend night so I could hit the Chinese buffet that is so good in town or something like that.

    Bonus: On days you train in Karate or do any kind of exercise, you get bonus points to eat that day. It made me want to go hit the treadmill for 30 minutes if meant I could get some chedder poppers from Sonic. And it doesn't matter what time you eat with the WW plan. You have 24 hours to eat your points...and they recommend you eat all your points every day, or at least as many as possible.

    I'm not a WW salesperson or anything, it's just what has worked for me.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benny-AR For This Useful Post:

    Dianhsuhe (08-31-2007),John M. La Tourrette (09-04-2007)

  5. #3
    RamsHead is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 34 Times in 18 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    After a work out, your body thinks that you are going to keep it up so it wants carbs that will turn to sugar if not used, lo cal - high fiber is what you want to look for. Carrots, celery (next to no calories and filling) a slice of multi-grain dark wheat bread would all do the trick. Before you train try power bars or Honey Stingers to avoid the bonk and will help stave off after work out cravings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]When in doubt, go for the groin.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to RamsHead For This Useful Post:

    John M. La Tourrette (09-04-2007)

  7. #4
    Lifespath is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    At that time of night, try a protein shake with no carbs, mix it with water or a meal replacement pack/mix. There are plenty on the market. A good health food store can steer you straight on good brands.

    It/they should fill you up enough. At a minimum try and zero out your carbs before you go to bed.

    Also, drink plenty of water, that will also help curb your appetite.

    Once you have a healthy system down for a while, and you suppress the urge for eating late at night, you will find it pretty easy to avoid some of the pitfalls of eating later in the evening.

    Like everything else, it takes determination, dedication and discipline.
    Last edited by Lifespath; 08-31-2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: adjusting sentence.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lifespath For This Useful Post:

    John M. La Tourrette (09-04-2007)

  9. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    2,467
    Thanks
    2,019
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by jjpregler View Post
    One of my goals for joining a Kenpo school was weight loss. I have been on a diet since I joined and doing well with one exception. One thing I have cut out is eating after dinner. Late night calories are not worked off. Being that I am 310 now (I gained 100 pounds since I quit Kenpo) My doctor told to to go on a 2400 calorie diet, avoiding foods high is fat and sugars.

    However, when I go to class in the evening I get home around 10pm and I am starving. After a heavy workout I have an urge to eat almost a full meal. I have several questions for any fitness experts:

    1) Is it ok to eat, since I just worked out?
    2) If it is ok, how much and what is good to eat at that time? I usually go to bed within an hour after getting home.
    3) Should I cut down on earlier calories to save a few hundred for after class or will this cut down on my energy too much to train?
    GOOD JOB on getting on this goal and staying with it!!!
    Please keep us updated.

    #1: I wouldn't eat anything that had ANY sugars/carbs after working out. At least not much in the way of carbs. Try something that's sugar free. They make several brands of 'low carb' yogurts that are decent. (Actually, I like them) then you could follow that with something that's more along the lines of protein. Still........go light and avoid salts if you can.

    #2: Not much. Keep it light. Take your time eating it too. You can actually trick your body (a bit) by eating slowly. I think that the general time it takes for your body (actually, your brain) to realize that you've eaten is 15 minutes. So take MORE than 15 minutes to eat whatever you're eating. If it's unsalted peanuts (more protein) then do a few at a time. Go through some stretches or get into a meditation routine, and take a small handful of them every few minutes. Something like that.

    #3: I don't know about cutting down earlier calories to make up for it. Might ask your doc about that'n. IF you can keep it light and AVOID carbs, then it shouldn't make THAT much of a difference.

    Here's another trick for you: RIGHT after exercising, take Chromium Picolinate 500 mcg. This helps you reduce your sensitivity to insulin. It's one of the MOST common ingredients in almost ANY weight loss supplement, because it inhibits your bodies tendency to crave. (hunger pains) In this way, it's kind of an appetite suppressant, without any stimulants. (because you ARE going to go to bed soon, right?)
    Also: Here is an article that I found helpful. (LINK)
    hope it helps.

    Keep MOVING! Exercise is the key. Take the stairs when you can. Park further away when you have the time. It doesn't take HIGH intensity exercise, but sustained, endurance type exercise. I read a Great article (wish I could find it for you) that showed that walking, just at a steady - leisurly pace for one hour a day, every day, for a year SIGNIFICANTLY altered a persons metabolism. Significantly.
    So KEEP MOVING.

    I'm rootin for ya!

    Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

    John M. La Tourrette (09-04-2007)

  11. #6
    jjpregler's Avatar
    jjpregler is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Levittown, PA
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 54 Times in 33 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsHead View Post
    After a work out, your body thinks that you are going to keep it up so it wants carbs that will turn to sugar if not used, lo cal - high fiber is what you want to look for. Carrots, celery (next to no calories and filling) a slice of multi-grain dark wheat bread would all do the trick. Before you train try power bars or Honey Stingers to avoid the bonk and will help stave off after work out cravings.

    What is a honey stinger?

  12. #7
    jjpregler's Avatar
    jjpregler is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Levittown, PA
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 54 Times in 33 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    Take your time eating it too. You can actually trick your body (a bit) by eating slowly.
    I use this for all of my meals. This was a major problem. Additionally, if I did not feel satisfied after 1 serving I went immediately to the second. Now I give myself about 20 minutes before i decide on a second serving and most times, I do not need to go back. Every once in a while I do, but compared to almost always it's a drastin improvement.

    And on nights that I don't have class I walk for about an hour after dinner.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to jjpregler For This Useful Post:

    John M. La Tourrette (09-04-2007)

  14. #8
    RamsHead is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 34 Times in 18 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    Honey Stingers are a brand of energy bar that are super tasty and like power bars use a rice syrup as the main sweetener (your body can use it very easily) another hot tip is eat a slice of avacado befor training as they are naturally fatty, the body finds the fat easy to burn and goes looking for more (your belly).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]When in doubt, go for the groin.

  15. #9
    John Brewer's Avatar
    John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,942
    Thanks
    1,381
    Thanked 421 Times in 330 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    GOOD JOB on getting on this goal and staying with it!!!
    Please keep us updated.

    #1: I wouldn't eat anything that had ANY sugars/carbs after working out. At least not much in the way of carbs. Try something that's sugar free. They make several brands of 'low carb' yogurts that are decent. (Actually, I like them) then you could follow that with something that's more along the lines of protein. Still........go light and avoid salts if you can.

    #2: Not much. Keep it light. Take your time eating it too. You can actually trick your body (a bit) by eating slowly. I think that the general time it takes for your body (actually, your brain) to realize that you've eaten is 15 minutes. So take MORE than 15 minutes to eat whatever you're eating. If it's unsalted peanuts (more protein) then do a few at a time. Go through some stretches or get into a meditation routine, and take a small handful of them every few minutes. Something like that.

    #3: I don't know about cutting down earlier calories to make up for it. Might ask your doc about that'n. IF you can keep it light and AVOID carbs, then it shouldn't make THAT much of a difference.

    Here's another trick for you: RIGHT after exercising, take Chromium Picolinate 500 mcg. This helps you reduce your sensitivity to insulin. It's one of the MOST common ingredients in almost ANY weight loss supplement, because it inhibits your bodies tendency to crave. (hunger pains) In this way, it's kind of an appetite suppressant, without any stimulants. (because you ARE going to go to bed soon, right?)
    Also: Here is an article that I found helpful. (LINK)
    hope it helps.

    Keep MOVING! Exercise is the key. Take the stairs when you can. Park further away when you have the time. It doesn't take HIGH intensity exercise, but sustained, endurance type exercise. I read a Great article (wish I could find it for you) that showed that walking, just at a steady - leisurly pace for one hour a day, every day, for a year SIGNIFICANTLY altered a persons metabolism. Significantly.
    So KEEP MOVING.

    I'm rootin for ya!

    Your Brother
    John
    Wow great post thanks for the link! I have lost weight and kept it off. However by the time I'm off work and then out of class it is 8 or 8:30 PM. I eat dinner after this. Otherwise I would be eating at like 4 or 4:30pm (this is for Mondays and Thursdays). I try to stick to small portions of lean proteins and veggies, but sometimes it's so much easier to eat junk lol.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to John Brewer For This Useful Post:

    John M. La Tourrette (09-04-2007)

  17. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by jjpregler View Post
    One of my goals for joining a Kenpo school was weight loss. I have been on a diet since I joined and doing well with one exception. One thing I have cut out is eating after dinner. Late night calories are not worked off. Being that I am 310 now (I gained 100 pounds since I quit Kenpo) My doctor told to to go on a 2400 calorie diet, avoiding foods high is fat and sugars.

    However, when I go to class in the evening I get home around 10pm and I am starving. After a heavy workout I have an urge to eat almost a full meal. I have several questions for any fitness experts:

    1) Is it ok to eat, since I just worked out?
    2) If it is ok, how much and what is good to eat at that time? I usually go to bed within an hour after getting home.
    3) Should I cut down on earlier calories to save a few hundred for after class or will this cut down on my energy too much to train?
    Where is kenpochanger?

    Isn't he the dietician?

    I'd love to argue the facts about what you are referencing with him;-)

    And, we'd need more information before we can give you great advice.

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Ps. I think there is a thread that covers some of this over on health & fitness.

  18. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny-AR View Post
    If you're anything like me, if you stay hungry, you won't stay on the plan. So for me, if I was constantly hungry, it would have disaster written all over it and I would probably end up gorging myself right before I go to bed. I started Weight Watchers in late February and went gone fro 265 lbs to 220 lbs. I like WW because it doesn't tell what you can and can't eat. It just gives a set number of points to budget and you can use them however you want each day. I started off with 40 points and that was a LOT of food if you try to eat low-point foods. I wasn't hungry at all, even at the beginning. .
    That was actually pretty neat.

    Zig Ziglar tells about how he went from fat to slim.

    It was a combination of diet and exercise.

    And his diet was NOT about what he couldn't eat...

    ...but about what he could eat.

    His doctor told him, "Zig, you can eat anything you want, and here is a list of what you want to eat".

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

    Benny-AR (09-04-2007),John Brewer (09-04-2007)

  20. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by John Brewer View Post
    Wow great post thanks for the link! I have lost weight and kept it off. However by the time I'm off work and then out of class it is 8 or 8:30 PM. I eat dinner after this. Otherwise I would be eating at like 4 or 4:30pm (this is for Mondays and Thursdays). I try to stick to small portions of lean proteins and veggies, but sometimes it's so much easier to eat junk lol.
    Just make sure it has a low glycemic index.

    And also attempt to eat at least 3 hours before bedtime.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

    Brother John (09-04-2007)

  22. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by jjpregler View Post
    I use this for all of my meals. This was a major problem. Additionally, if I did not feel satisfied after 1 serving I went immediately to the second. Now I give myself about 20 minutes before i decide on a second serving and most times, I do not need to go back. Every once in a while I do, but compared to almost always it's a drastin improvement.

    And on nights that I don't have class I walk for about an hour after dinner.
    That is very good.

  23. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Lifespath View Post
    At that time of night, try a protein shake with no carbs, mix it with water or a meal replacement pack/mix. There are plenty on the market. A good health food store can steer you straight on good brands.

    It/they should fill you up enough. At a minimum try and zero out your carbs before you go to bed.

    Also, drink plenty of water, that will also help curb your appetite.

    Once you have a healthy system down for a while, and you suppress the urge for eating late at night, you will find it pretty easy to avoid some of the pitfalls of eating later in the evening.

    Like everything else, it takes determination, dedication and discipline.
    That water tip is great.

    So is the goal setting that Mr. Haag talked about.

    Also if you can "picture yourself in your mind's eye" weighting the weight your desire as if you are already there, and do that at night upon going to bed and in the morning upon waking up, the subconscious will be more willing to follow that plan.

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

  24. #15
    Kenpo Gary is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    2400 calories seems like an awful lot of calories for weight loss. My fitness trainer always suggested 1500-1200 daily for weight loss for men, and 1200-1000 daily for women.

    Kenpo Gary
    "The heart of the Kenpo System has always been practical-effective- Self Defense Techniques." Al Tracy

  25. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,039
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 745 Times in 435 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    I personally think 1500-1200 is too low for active average sized males. It's about a 40% deficit, and your body likely will cannibalize.
    Kenpo, moving in open piecewise Bézier curves since 2011

    Trying hard not to lapse into speaking kenponics

    Been doing computers since 1982, on forums, chats and all for nearly 3 decades. Only ever blocked one person.

  26. #17
    Senjojutsu is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    This was an interesting recent article:

    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Dye...3922069&page=1

    A New Way to Control Weight?

    Scientists Say Just Standing Up May Be as Important as Exercise
    John McPartland

  27. #18
    Kenpo Gary is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 32 Times in 26 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by J-squared View Post
    I personally think 1500-1200 is too low for active average sized males. It's about a 40% deficit, and your body likely will cannibalize.
    Metabolism differs, mine tends to be slow and thus the need for rigidly reduced intake. You may be correct concerning the average that 1200 calories is too few.

    Kenpo Gary
    "The heart of the Kenpo System has always been practical-effective- Self Defense Techniques." Al Tracy

  28. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    1,942
    Thanks
    1,680
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,275 Posts

    Default Re: Fitness Advice

    Calories are based on individual factors, one of them being present weight. The heavier you are the more calories you will need. Usually the "2000" calorie diet is based around a male weighing around 180 lbs.

    Here is a site that gives you a base line for your caloric needs
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

    Protien is a great before bed macro nutrient. Something like cottage cheese, or a protein shake. Protien also curbs hunger better than carbs and wouldn't cause an insulin spike like simple sugars do which can lead to fat gain when there is nothing to do with the carbs for energy.

    I wouldn't recommend "saving" calories for the day. I have read alot (if your eating three meals as opposed to 5-6 small meals evenly spaced) that says eat breakfast like a king, and eat dinner like a pauper. Meaning that the majority of calories first thing in the morning will be used to replenish your body from it's night long fast, and then each meal is a little bit smaller (Break--Fast or breakfast).

    Drinking pure water is another key. Many times our body is dehydrated and it signals a hunger response. So I would make sure and hydrate before and after class. Cold water also burns about an extra 20 calories an hour just to "process" it.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Advice for a minorly tweeked ankle???
    By bagheera47 in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 11:42 AM
  2. MT: Need help with sparring-need advice
    By MT Post Bot in forum Kenpo From Other Boards
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-13-2006, 06:04 AM
  3. Some Advice
    By Mikael151 in forum Parker - Mills / AKKI
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-25-2006, 11:27 PM