Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just got an *** beating.

Thanks

Default I just got an *** beating.

Sorry for the crude title but that is just the only way to describe it...LOL

It is 11:13pm and I just got home from a long training session- I fired up the computer for the sole purpose of posting this little story on KT!

Had a good class tonight, I assist my instructor as is typical. Well Grandmaster Kuoha pops his head in and tells me to take 30 minutes or so to spar and the last 10 minutes advanced belts only for sparring. Great sounds fun- We go through the line, we have a small group 7-8 with White/Yellow belts through Brown and Brown Black then me and my teacher...I am Nidan (2nd) and he is Godan (5th), well in the Kara-Ho Kempo system 5th is VERY high. (FORESHADOWING)

I face off with my instructor at the very end and let me tell you, I got DESTROYED! It was awesome! I got a broken toe, black eye and nose bleeds from both sides but let me tell you. It was an enlightening ordeal for me- To take big shots and keep going just made me feel great! I know it sounds strange but I feel like I am the victor!

I have come so far and clearly have so far to go I am humbled and motivated by the experience! I have had some health issues with Kidney Stones and other stuff lately and even though I CLEARLY got beat-down I feel like I also surpassed a plateau.

It is also worth mentioning that my Sensei is a great friend and we got our BB together in 1995, he is a model of dedication and unwavering training, as I have taken breaks and not trained often enough, he has shown me where I can be if I stick with it and train hard.

tale of the tape:

He: Me:
    5'9" 6'3"
    165lbs maybe 230lbs

So I got no excuse---

Thanks for reading my rambling and have a great night at KT!

I am humbly,
    Jamey
    The above is just my opinion.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

dee (06-12-2009),gixxershane (10-14-2007),hemi (10-12-2007),Resik (06-12-2009),sifuroy (09-17-2007),unshackled-chi (06-11-2009)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: I just got an *** beating.

Hey congrats!

There is nothing like a hard ride to the edge to let one know where they are.

It was also very enlightening to know where you and your instructor were coming from.

Thanks for sharing!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrE2Me2 For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (08-31-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

You definitely learn a lot from those classes. As long as they are not every night. You will run out of eyes.
    More Shugyo!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gakusei For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (08-31-2007)

Thanks

You are a sick sick man. lol.

I do know what you mean about being able to take it and move on. Being the gal that I am though, I definitely draw the line at being happy about a broken anything, bleeding anything or black eye.

Men are motivated by bizarre things sometimes.

I'm glad that you're excited.

Good job getting back up.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (08-31-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Cool!!
    I have a question...why are we all so proud of our bruises and black eyes, broken bones and bloody noses?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

Congratulations on you *** whooping! It's amazing, isn't it, where some of our best lessons come from?

Anoise, it basically results from the fact that we're all somewhat touched in the head to begin with. Why else would be look forward to hitting and being hit on such a regular basis?
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (08-31-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anoise View Post
    Cool!!
    I have a question...why are we all so proud of our bruises and black eyes, broken bones and bloody noses?
    I think Teddy Roosevelt said it best:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    "Citizenship in a Republic,"
    Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark L For This Useful Post:

Anoise (08-30-2007),Benny-AR (08-30-2007),Ceicei (10-15-2007),Dianhsuhe (08-30-2007),jdinca (08-30-2007),RDCParker (08-30-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anoise View Post
    Cool!!
    Personally I think it's because getting beat down, and then living to fight another day, is an important milestone. Let's face it, we all start out afraid to get hit and take a beating... so when it finally happens to us, and later we stand up and say "I'm okay", it's a great feeling. I know that I've felt exactly the same way James feels. You realize that you are tougher than you thought, and that you don't have to be afraid to push and train hard and take some licks in the spirit of learning something.

I had a black eye about a month ago (which actually swelled up a bit), and I was still fighting through the end of class. I was so proud... until my girl saw it. For some reason she really didn't feel the same way.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RDCParker For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (08-31-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: I just got an *** beating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

That's an awesome quote. I'm going to post that in my classroom before my kids get back from the library and gym. We may even use it to have one of those "teachable moments" the next time a student tries to give up on a skill or lesson because he/she didn't get it the first time through.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Benny-AR For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (08-31-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Congratulations on your beat-down.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (08-31-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post

Absolutely love that quote.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (08-31-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Dear Domino:

When I first read the title of your post I thought you had been jumped by a bunch of gangbangers or had a visit from the Soprano's!

Yes indeed it does feel good to draw a little blood sometimes even when it is your own. My sensei used to teach us to dramatize the minor blood letting a bit by taking a taste of your own blood to let your opponent know that you were not freaked out by it.

I hope you tagged your opponent a few times as well. What are a few knots and bruises among brothers in the arts?

Did you break your toe by a mis-application of a kick or did a block nail ya?

Nelson Kari
    Hey Nelson... I think you meant to ask Dianhsuhe, he's the one that started the thread.

However, it's funny that you did mention gang bangers... when I was 15 I was jumped by one while riding the city bus home from school. I didn't fight back because I was afraid that his three friends standing behind him would jump in. A few days after that a$$ kicking, I realized that it was my pride that hurt more than my body, and that was the spark that made me want to study martial arts. So again, getting your butt whooped can be a real motivating factor.

But don't jinx me, man! I've never had a broken bone in my life! LOL
    *Warrior, Scholar*

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RDCParker For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (08-31-2007),nelson (08-30-2007)

Thanks

Well I got the word from the head-honcho that I am being considered for promotion to Sandan. It is probably a coincidence but I would not be surprised if they wanted to see how I would handle a humble beating from a superior fighter, tactician.

I REALLY need to work on the material I have for this rank (as well as all other criteria, and fighting obviously) as 3rd dan in Kara-Ho does not rear itself often. I am honored to be considered!

I did land a few shots and I have had beat-downs before but mostly before BB... I love the above quote, I have a book of famous speeches where that quote appears and I love the entire book.

Salud!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    Well I got the word from the head-honcho that I am being considered for promotion to Sandan. It is probably a coincidence but I would not be surprised if they wanted to see how I would handle a humble beating from a superior fighter, tactician.

I REALLY need to work on the material I have for this rank (as well as all other criteria, and fighting obviously) as 3rd dan in Kara-Ho does not rear itself often. I am honored to be considered!
    Congrats and good luck going forward!
    *Warrior, Scholar*

26. The Following User Says Thank You to RDCParker For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (08-31-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Didn't I tell you to keep fighting...this is street...not tournament. Consideration is much stronger then you think. Two higher ranking instructors signed your name off and then add one more, me. Promotion will be done in Hawaii and I hope to have Master Kuheana sit on the board to promote...pretty cool, huh? See you tomorrow night in class.
    Grandmaster

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (11-26-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: I just got an *** beating.

I must have missed that class...I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad about that. I'm sure Sensei M was there because she had mentioned what an awesome class that was and we all know how she likes to hit.

Thanks

Well CKHK, it was an aha moment! As in aha! I must be open all over the place.

As you know the sparring pace is set by it's participants, so I actually did not mind. I was out-witted and out-skilled but I bet I learned more than the other guy.

Cheers-

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: I just got an *** beating.

It is said that we learn more from our "defeats" than our victories. I believe that is true. We learn from our mistakes more than we learn from our success.

Even if that lessons is that we need to pay more attention to the finite details or that we still have a long way to go to achieve our ultimate goal.

I definitely agree that getting in there and scrapping for every inch is motivating. If nothing else, it lets you know you are alive.

In the United States Marine Corps we had a saying that has stuck with me for years since. The saying is this "pain is weakness leaving the body". The mere fact that you withstand the pain means that you strive for a higher level than you currently are on.

Bravo for you and congrats on surviving the beat down. :-)
    Devil Dog Mark
    Hawaiian Kempo & Okinawan Kubudo

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

sounds like a blast bro..

if you had fun and you enjoyed it, that is all that matters..

keep with it mang, and keep having fun.. to me if your not having fun its not worth doing.

i love every aspect of the arts and i continue to have fun with it all..

"The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

That is definitely awesome!

Keep us posted when you go for your Sandan!

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links