Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mental "calisthetics"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,335 Posts

Default Mental "calisthetics"

Dear Kenpo brothers and sisters:

I hope that I spelled the word right but I'm sure you all know that I'm talking about mental training or excercises. Do you ever sit down and practice your techniques in your mind for an entire workout session?
    For example, if you normally do a form or Kata 10 times on each side do you ever do the same number of sequences in your mind?

How effective do you feel such an excercise actually is in helping your training?

I've started to add this dimension to my normal routines and have found it to be quite an interesting concept. The discipline, in my opinion, goes far beyond what is required in a normal physical workout routine. Does anyone else feel this way.

Nelson

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelson For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (08-21-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-21-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

Default Re: Mental "calisthetics"

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post

I hope that I spelled the word right but I'm sure you all know that I'm talking about mental training or excercises. Do you ever sit down and practice your techniques in your mind for an entire workout session?
    For example, if you normally do a form or Kata 10 times on each side do you ever do the same number of sequences in your mind?

How effective do you feel such an excercise actually is in helping your training?

I've started to add this dimension to my normal routines and have found it to be quite an interesting concept. The discipline, in my opinion, goes far beyond what is required in a normal physical workout routine. Does anyone else feel this way.

Nelson
    I'm a big fan of the "mental workout" whenever I have downtime and am unable to physically "do" a workout. Funny thing is, in my mental workouts I'm always flawless, even my mistakes are done perfectly (wonder why that is?)

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

amylong (08-21-2007),John M. La Tourrette (08-21-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-21-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Dear Bill:

Your mental training goes far beyond my knowledge I'm sure.
    I still make the same mistakes that I do when I'm actually physically doing the form although I do admit I'm a lot less winded!

I've got a sneaky suspicion that the mastery of mental imagery brings one a step closer to the goal of mastership of your individual martial art's style.

Nelson

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nelson For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (08-21-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    I'm a big fan of the "mental workout" whenever I have downtime and am unable to physically "do" a workout. Funny thing is, in my mental workouts I'm always flawless, even my mistakes are done perfectly (wonder why that is?)

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    Sir what makes you think they are mistakes, perhaps the sub-concious is breaking conditioned response,based on your experience of practical application.

My Respect
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

Dear Bill:

Your mental training goes far beyond my knowledge I'm sure.
    I still make the same mistakes that I do when I'm actually physically doing the form although I do admit I'm a lot less winded!

I've got a sneaky suspicion that the mastery of mental imagery brings one a step closer to the goal of mastership of your individual martial art's style.

Nelson
    Visualization opens the senses for application.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Dear Brad:

Your right my brother! I may not be making a mistake but am in fact breaking conditioned responses. I've just had a recent breakthrough in a form that I first learned over 30 years ago that you reminded me of by your comments.

Thanks!

Nelson

Thanks

Dear Brad:

Your right my brother! I may not be making a mistake but am in fact breaking conditioned responses. I've just had a recent breakthrough in a form that I first learned over 30 years ago that you reminded me of by your comments.

Thanks!

Nelson
    Tradition defys logic
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

nelson (08-21-2007)

Thanks

Dear Brad:

Thanks!

Nelson
    Which is more usefull the process or the content ?
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Sir what makes you think they are mistakes, perhaps the sub-concious is breaking conditioned response,based on your experience of practical application.

My Respect
    I think we have a winner! Actually I envision different variations and adaptations and what may be applicable when. Guess you figured out my thought processes pretty well!

Repsects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (08-21-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-21-2007)

Thanks

I think we have a winner! Actually I envision different variations and adaptations and what may be applicable when. Guess you figured out my thought processes pretty well!

Repsects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    No Sir,
    Just lucky, but I have figured out mine.

Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Nelson
    I'll routinely go through our Master Form and/or techniques in my mind. Especially if I can't get to sleep...it beats counting sheep!

I firmly believe it is necessary to mentally focus on the physical to truely ingrain the training into one's subconcious. Visualization is an excellent tool to accomplish this.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (08-21-2007),nelson (08-21-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Just curious Mr. Parsons,

What specifically is your mental workout?

I know that you said "visualize" in a late post, but how specificallly?

What level of the mind do you do them from?

Beta, alpha, theta...?

What is your method to getting to that state where it works for you?

What senses do you use?

What are specific submodalities of those senses?

What are the sequences of those senses?

Are you associated or dissociated or both?

If both, what are your most productive timing sequences.

And if anyone wants, I'll pull out one of my old sports psychology writtings on this and share with those that want it.

DOC JOHN

19. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (08-21-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I'll routinely go through our Master Form and/or techniques in my mind. Especially if I can't get to sleep...it beats counting sheep!

I firmly believe it is necessary to mentally focus on the physical to truely ingrain the training into one's subconcious. Visualization is an excellent tool to accomplish this.
    There are specific methods of "mind-works" that are more effective than others.

I'm also curious about how you do it Mr. Celtic...

...and how you know (through some type of verification process) that it is productive for you?

DOC JOHN

Thanks

Visualization opens the senses for application.

Hunnn?

It does depend on the type of visualization, does it not?

I'm not sure what you are referencing.

DOC JOHN

Thanks

Nelson
    This insight was actually very good.

Your "sneaky suspicion" is right on.

There are methods of trance that acentuate the learnings both positive and negative.

Many people do NOT know the differences and will do the incorrect methods thinking/believing what they are doing is correct.

The rules for bridging between the conscious mind, the unconscious minds and physcial performance are not as simple as some believe...and are much more simple than others believe.

This might become a very productive thread.

DOC JOHN

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Something I was taught...

...to do a long set of strenuous excercise....kickboxing, shadowboxing, calesthenic sets, bag work, jogging, swimming...something to get the heart rate up in to the cardiofitness (anaerobic) zone. (Naturally, this isn't for someone that can't handle at least a moderate amount of cardiofitness training)

After a solid block of time in this range, transition over to forms.

Stumbling, fighting, thinking my way through the brain fog while trying to slow my heart rate down....that did a lot for my mental discipline.

Helped my marksmanship a lot as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    Something I was taught...

...to do a long set of strenuous excercise....kickboxing, shadowboxing, calesthenic sets, bag work, jogging, swimming...something to get the heart rate up in to the cardiofitness (anaerobic) zone. (Naturally, this isn't for someone that can't handle at least a moderate amount of cardiofitness training)

After a solid block of time in this range, transition over to forms.

Stumbling, fighting, thinking my way through the brain fog while trying to slow my heart rate down....that did a lot for my mental discipline.

Helped my marksmanship a lot as well.
    You are talking about "over arousal" rate versus "being in the zone".

This is based upon heart beats, breathing and visual external focus.

That is a mental discipline, but is much different from the mental discipline done at a theta brain wave, with the 2 bridges of consciousness working correctly between beta, alpha and theta, with both sides of the brains hooked up and working together in an ASSOCIATED MANNER so that your positive specific visualization enhances your actual physical performance.

My point being, it's a great topic but different than what Mr. Marshall was talking about, in my lowly opinion.

DOC JOHN

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    Hunnn?

It does depend on the type of visualization, does it not?

I'm not sure what you are referencing.

DOC JOHN

The mental visual awareness which extends beyond the limits of the physical body,both in time and space. Perhaps I should just shut down the keyboard on this topic.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

The mental visual awareness which extends beyond the limits of the physical body,both in time and space. Perhaps I should just shut down the keyboard on this topic.

Dr. John, take us to the super-conscious state please.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Not so lowly, Doc John.

You're right, I w as reading too quickly. I'll save those thoughts for another day *switching gears*

On the topic of what Mr. Marshall was posting, I think they the "mental exercises" helped me pass my first belt test.

On the way up to the test, I was struggling a bit with my techs. I had been a white belt for 6 months and knew what the techs were but had trouble executing them perfectly. Even the night before the test I was still stumbling. On the day of the test, I got up and meditated on the techs I was doing, working them out in my mind. When I performed on the test, my teachers were thrilled. I did a lot better on the test than I did in practice.

In fact, I did so much better on the test than I had been doing....I actually wasn't emotionally prepared for what I was doing. One of my instructors was my Uke, and I was doing fine with my test until I got to point in one tech that required a handsword to the throat. I deliberately aimed below the adams apple but....like all the other strikes in my techs, they were well-executed, committed strikes. That strike landed with a disturbing *thunk* that rattled me a lot. Even though my instructor said I did exactly what I should have done, I got very disturbed after the fact that I had hurt someone that I really respected.

Because I wasn't landing strikes that clean in practice, I didn't really develop the stomach for the results. So...my last two techs weren't bad, but weren't mistake proof.

I guess the moral of the story for me was....the meditation helped me a lot. I just wish I had "discovered" it earlier in the game, that way I would have likely enjoyed results of better performance in practice before the test instead of just having better performance on game day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links