Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Mental defense

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Mental defense

    The Mental Aspect of Art


    There are many aspects to the martial arts, Offense, Defense, Defensive Offense, and Offensive Defense.

    Offense is when we take the skills that have been learned, and apply them in a strictly aggressive role as it relates to a threat in order to destroy the opponentís centerline. When we control the attackers centerline we control the outcome of an engagement. However to limit ones offense strictly to a physical application defeats the underlying logic of the martial arts.

    Defense is when we use our skills within a non-aggressive application to protect ourselves from attack. This can be done through, physiological, non-physiological, and emotional, along with sensory applications to defuse the aggressions.

    Defensive Offense is when we use our skill to counter a counter attack during an offensive physical application, or by manipulating the mental thought process and sensory balance of the attacker.

    Offensive Defense is when we use our defensive applications to inflict damage to the attacking weapons. This is the area that most place the majority of their focus within, and conform to the paradigms of traditional thought process of the martial arts, thus limiting their views and closing their minds to the possibilities of alternate application all together.

    There are other aspects that are just as critical to a successful outcome as those mentioned in the above definitions. When we consider range, intent, perceptual, mental, and physical speed we began to explore the limits that one places within the execution of the curriculum. When employing only the physical principles of engagement, and dictating when that engagement actually begins, we set in motion laws that cant be broken.

    People respond to sensory responses, Audible (Hearing), Visual (Seeing) and Physical (Their feelings). Case in point ones breath. They can hear the sound of their breathing, they can see their chest rise and fall, and they can feel their lungs expand and contract.

    When one can recognize this in the attacker one can manipulate it prior to the physical application principles of defense within multiple ranges.

    Just my thoughts
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

    Brother John (09-21-2007),John M. La Tourrette (08-20-2007),sifuroy (11-17-2007)

  3. #2
    Hunter's Avatar
    Hunter is offline
    KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wichita KS
    Posts
    709
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked 183 Times in 112 Posts

    Thumbs up Re: Mental defense

    I think what you mentioned goes hand in hand with environmental considerations and the "points of view."

    Sometimes kenpoist (myself included) get so caught up in the curriculum we forget situational study and watching our mental preparedness and training in different environments. (sp)

    These things are just as if not more important then whipping out a good technique and solid basics.
    www.hunterskarate.com

    "I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

    - From the Lone Ranger's Creed




  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

    MARSHALLS KENPO (08-21-2007)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Mental defense

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I think what you mentioned goes hand in hand with environmental considerations and the "points of view."

    Sometimes kenpoist (myself included) get so caught up in the curriculum we forget situational study and watching our mental preparedness and training in different environments. (sp)

    These things are just as if not more important then whipping out a good technique and solid basics.

    Good point,
    Actually Im looking at playing with the mind
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: Mental defense

    Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    The Mental Aspect of Art


    There are many aspects to the martial arts, Offense, Defense, Defensive Offense, and Offensive Defense.

    Offense is when we take the skills that have been learned, and apply them in a strictly aggressive role as it relates to a threat in order to destroy the opponentís centerline. When we control the attackers centerline we control the outcome of an engagement. However to limit ones offense strictly to a physical application defeats the underlying logic of the martial arts.

    Defense is when we use our skills within a non-aggressive application to protect ourselves from attack. This can be done through, physiological, non-physiological, and emotional, along with sensory applications to defuse the aggressions.

    Defensive Offense is when we use our skill to counter a counter attack during an offensive physical application, or by manipulating the mental thought process and sensory balance of the attacker.

    Offensive Defense is when we use our defensive applications to inflict damage to the attacking weapons. This is the area that most place the majority of their focus within, and conform to the paradigms of traditional thought process of the martial arts, thus limiting their views and closing their minds to the possibilities of alternate application all together.

    There are other aspects that are just as critical to a successful outcome as those mentioned in the above definitions. When we consider range, intent, perceptual, mental, and physical speed we began to explore the limits that one places within the execution of the curriculum. When employing only the physical principles of engagement, and dictating when that engagement actually begins, we set in motion laws that cant be broken.

    People respond to sensory responses, Audible (Hearing), Visual (Seeing) and Physical (Their feelings). Case in point ones breath. They can hear the sound of their breathing, they can see their chest rise and fall, and they can feel their lungs expand and contract.

    When one can recognize this in the attacker one can manipulate it prior to the physical application principles of defense within multiple ranges.

    Just my thoughts
    Mental Training is ONE very NEGLECTED ASPECT of most martial arts training. Which is why I wrote "Mental Training of a Warrior" back in 1978.

    Plus every book I've put out covers some of the aspects of this valuable topic. Some from the normal civilian needs and some from the street needs and some from the soldier's needs.

    A very good topic choice and I'm looking forward to what others have to say about this important aspect.

    Once I see what they write I will contribute more.

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

    MARSHALLS KENPO (08-20-2007)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Mental defense

    Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    Mental Training is ONE very NEGLECTED ASPECT of most martial arts training. Which is why I wrote "Mental Training of a Warrior" back in 1978.

    Plus every book I've put out covers some of the aspects of this valuable topic. Some from the normal civilian needs and some from the street needs and some from the soldier's needs.

    A very good topic choice and I'm looking forward to what others have to say about this important aspect.

    Once I see what they write I will contribute more.

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

    Hello Dr John,

    You know how dangerous this topic could be, you have been there. I wonder if I have opened Pandors box? It is far more deadly then most understand !!!!!
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: Mental defense

    Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Hello Dr John,
    You know how dangerous this topic could be, you have been there. I wonder if I have opened Pandors box? It is far more deadly then most understand !!!!!
    Dangerous?

    Then maybe you are talking about the emotional content thing, the part about being brain-trained emotionally so we can kill and still feel good about ourselves?

    Not sure if I want to go into that concept on any open forum.

    There is a part where we must dehumanize others in a certain way that I will not cover here.

    But if it's something else, let me know and I'd love to share.

    DOC JOHN

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Mental defense

    Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    Dangerous?

    Then maybe you are talking about the emotional content thing, the part about being brain-trained emotionally so we can kill and still feel good about ourselves?

    Not sure if I want to go into that concept on any open forum.

    There is a part where we must dehumanize others in a certain way that I will not cover here.

    But if it's something else, let me know and I'd love to share.

    DOC JOHN
    That is something I also do not wish to cover here. Just making a point to remind those who do understand that aspect to let it lay.

    What Im wishing to discuss is the hypnotic sensory applications used on an attacker while closing range.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. MT: Does this actaully work for Self Defense
    By MT Post Bot in forum Kenpo From Other Boards
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 03:37 AM
  2. MT: Weapon Defense From The Left Hand
    By MT Post Bot in forum Kenpo From Other Boards
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2007, 11:21 AM
  3. Self-defence and the law ?
    By unshackled-chi in forum General Martial Arts
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 06:08 PM
  4. What are your Mental strategies & tactics?
    By John M. La Tourrette in forum Kenpo General
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-26-2007, 06:10 PM
  5. MT: Brubakers Studio of Self Defense
    By MT Post Bot in forum Kenpo From Other Boards
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 12:50 PM