Thread: Mental defense

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Default Mental defense

The Mental Aspect of Art

There are many aspects to the martial arts, Offense, Defense, Defensive Offense, and Offensive Defense.

Offense is when we take the skills that have been learned, and apply them in a strictly aggressive role as it relates to a threat in order to destroy the opponentís centerline. When we control the attackers centerline we control the outcome of an engagement. However to limit ones offense strictly to a physical application defeats the underlying logic of the martial arts.

Defense is when we use our skills within a non-aggressive application to protect ourselves from attack. This can be done through, physiological, non-physiological, and emotional, along with sensory applications to defuse the aggressions.

Defensive Offense is when we use our skill to counter a counter attack during an offensive physical application, or by manipulating the mental thought process and sensory balance of the attacker.

Offensive Defense is when we use our defensive applications to inflict damage to the attacking weapons. This is the area that most place the majority of their focus within, and conform to the paradigms of traditional thought process of the martial arts, thus limiting their views and closing their minds to the possibilities of alternate application all together.

There are other aspects that are just as critical to a successful outcome as those mentioned in the above definitions. When we consider range, intent, perceptual, mental, and physical speed we began to explore the limits that one places within the execution of the curriculum. When employing only the physical principles of engagement, and dictating when that engagement actually begins, we set in motion laws that cant be broken.

People respond to sensory responses, Audible (Hearing), Visual (Seeing) and Physical (Their feelings). Case in point ones breath. They can hear the sound of their breathing, they can see their chest rise and fall, and they can feel their lungs expand and contract.

When one can recognize this in the attacker one can manipulate it prior to the physical application principles of defense within multiple ranges.

Just my thoughts
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Brother John (09-21-2007),John M. La Tourrette (08-20-2007),sifuroy (11-17-2007)

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Mental defense

I think what you mentioned goes hand in hand with environmental considerations and the "points of view."

Sometimes kenpoist (myself included) get so caught up in the curriculum we forget situational study and watching our mental preparedness and training in different environments. (sp)

These things are just as if not more important then whipping out a good technique and solid basics.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-21-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: Mental defense

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I think what you mentioned goes hand in hand with environmental considerations and the "points of view."

Sometimes kenpoist (myself included) get so caught up in the curriculum we forget situational study and watching our mental preparedness and training in different environments. (sp)

These things are just as if not more important then whipping out a good technique and solid basics.

Good point,
    Actually Im looking at playing with the mind
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    The Mental Aspect of Art

There are many aspects to the martial arts, Offense, Defense, Defensive Offense, and Offensive Defense.

Offense is when we take the skills that have been learned, and apply them in a strictly aggressive role as it relates to a threat in order to destroy the opponentís centerline. When we control the attackers centerline we control the outcome of an engagement. However to limit ones offense strictly to a physical application defeats the underlying logic of the martial arts.

Defense is when we use our skills within a non-aggressive application to protect ourselves from attack. This can be done through, physiological, non-physiological, and emotional, along with sensory applications to defuse the aggressions.

Defensive Offense is when we use our skill to counter a counter attack during an offensive physical application, or by manipulating the mental thought process and sensory balance of the attacker.

Offensive Defense is when we use our defensive applications to inflict damage to the attacking weapons. This is the area that most place the majority of their focus within, and conform to the paradigms of traditional thought process of the martial arts, thus limiting their views and closing their minds to the possibilities of alternate application all together.

There are other aspects that are just as critical to a successful outcome as those mentioned in the above definitions. When we consider range, intent, perceptual, mental, and physical speed we began to explore the limits that one places within the execution of the curriculum. When employing only the physical principles of engagement, and dictating when that engagement actually begins, we set in motion laws that cant be broken.

People respond to sensory responses, Audible (Hearing), Visual (Seeing) and Physical (Their feelings). Case in point ones breath. They can hear the sound of their breathing, they can see their chest rise and fall, and they can feel their lungs expand and contract.

When one can recognize this in the attacker one can manipulate it prior to the physical application principles of defense within multiple ranges.

Just my thoughts
    Mental Training is ONE very NEGLECTED ASPECT of most martial arts training. Which is why I wrote "Mental Training of a Warrior" back in 1978.

Plus every book I've put out covers some of the aspects of this valuable topic. Some from the normal civilian needs and some from the street needs and some from the soldier's needs.

A very good topic choice and I'm looking forward to what others have to say about this important aspect.

Once I see what they write I will contribute more.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

7. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-20-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    Mental Training is ONE very NEGLECTED ASPECT of most martial arts training. Which is why I wrote "Mental Training of a Warrior" back in 1978.

Plus every book I've put out covers some of the aspects of this valuable topic. Some from the normal civilian needs and some from the street needs and some from the soldier's needs.

A very good topic choice and I'm looking forward to what others have to say about this important aspect.

Once I see what they write I will contribute more.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Hello Dr John,

You know how dangerous this topic could be, you have been there. I wonder if I have opened Pandors box? It is far more deadly then most understand !!!!!
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Hello Dr John,
    You know how dangerous this topic could be, you have been there. I wonder if I have opened Pandors box? It is far more deadly then most understand !!!!!
    Dangerous?

Then maybe you are talking about the emotional content thing, the part about being brain-trained emotionally so we can kill and still feel good about ourselves?

Not sure if I want to go into that concept on any open forum.

There is a part where we must dehumanize others in a certain way that I will not cover here.

But if it's something else, let me know and I'd love to share.

DOC JOHN

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    Dangerous?

Then maybe you are talking about the emotional content thing, the part about being brain-trained emotionally so we can kill and still feel good about ourselves?

Not sure if I want to go into that concept on any open forum.

There is a part where we must dehumanize others in a certain way that I will not cover here.

But if it's something else, let me know and I'd love to share.

DOC JOHN
    That is something I also do not wish to cover here. Just making a point to remind those who do understand that aspect to let it lay.

What Im wishing to discuss is the hypnotic sensory applications used on an attacker while closing range.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links