Thread: What defines Brotherhood/Sisterhood in the arts?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Default What defines Brotherhood/Sisterhood in the arts?

The Brotherhood/Sisterhood

Over my many years of study within the arts, and especially Kenpo, one thing stands out overall. While I have seen and learned some devastating material, contemplated various conceptual concepts, and embraced new applications to physical principles, the most rewarding aspect has been the people with whom I have met. They have always been respectfull, open, and willing to share their hearts and knowledge.

In a world, which seems to be based on preconceived opinions, biased perspectives, along with mistrust, I find it so refreshing to see the true spirit of people who wish to share themselves.

So often we get self-absorbed by our own philosophies concerning our views of the art. However the willingness to learn something more effective drives us forever forward, as we expand our comprehensive knowledge. Even though we are deeply rooted in our beliefs of what is and is not effective, our quest continues to develop our understanding.

People are creatures of habit; they get comfortable, complacent, reluctant, and engrained with the past. The unknown future scares them to their very core, and deters them from the path that has been set before us all.

To all my brothers and sisters in the art who have placed the betterment of others before themselves I thank you. You have always been there to guide, direct, and help me in my studies of the art and offer advice in troubling times.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (11-19-2007),Brother John (08-03-2007),Carol (11-19-2007),Ceicei (11-17-2007),Celtic_Crippler (08-03-2007),Devildogmrk (11-19-2007),Dianhsuhe (11-17-2007),Hunter (08-03-2007),John Brewer (11-17-2007),Mikael151 (08-03-2007),MooseKenpo (08-04-2007),nelson (08-03-2007),sifuroy (09-22-2007),Takai (08-06-2007),Zakonax (08-03-2007)

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Default Re: What defines Brotherhood/Sisterhood in the arts?

Great Post Mr. Marshall! In my short experience with the Kenpo community I have to agree. Nowhere else are people so open and willing to share of themselves and their time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to John Brewer For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-03-2007)

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Brad,

I certainly concur with you you about the strong Brotherhood that we in the Kepo world have. We have extended it to other styles in our area and have many friends from all styles . We sponsor a yearly Picnic and invite all styles to it and have a great time exchanging Ideas and working out together. You can never have too many friends.

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sifuroy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sifuroy View Post
    Brad,

I certainly concur with you you about the strong Brotherhood that we in the Kepo world have. We have extended it to other styles in our area and have many friends from all styles . We sponsor a yearly Picnic and invite all styles to it and have a great time exchanging Ideas and working out together. You can never have too many friends.

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy
    Let me know when and where, and I will try to be there.
    Your Brother
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post

Over my many years of study within the arts, and especially Kenpo, one thing stands out overall. While I have seen and learned some devastating material, contemplated various conceptual concepts, and embraced new applications to physical principles, the most rewarding aspect has been the people with whom I have met. They have always been respectfull, open, and willing to share their hearts and knowledge.

In a world, which seems to be based on preconceived opinions, biased perspectives, along with mistrust, I find it so refreshing to see the true spirit of people who wish to share themselves.

So often we get self-absorbed by our own philosophies concerning our views of the art. However the willingness to learn something more effective drives us forever forward, as we expand our comprehensive knowledge. Even though we are deeply rooted in our beliefs of what is and is not effective, our quest continues to develop our understanding.

People are creatures of habit; they get comfortable, complacent, reluctant, and engrained with the past. The unknown future scares them to their very core, and deters them from the path that has been set before us all.

To all my brothers and sisters in the art who have placed the betterment of others before themselves I thank you. You have always been there to guide, direct, and help me in my studies of the art and offer advice in troubling times.
    ..yeah, what he said.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: What defines Brotherhood/Sisterhood in the arts?

Mr. Marshall,

I do know that it has been nice to have you in the "brotherhood" and mentor part of my kenpo life. I appreciate the influence and insight you have offered me and my folks.

Hopefully we will see you at the Frank Soto seminar..if not October! When we board Mr. Madsen for 3rd Brown.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-04-2007)

Thanks

You, sir, are on the path. I hope can always be as open-minded as you are.
    Full salute.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikael151 For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-04-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

This is a very good subject, I think it needs even more air-time really. It's far more important than the things that often get more discussion.

To me a 'Kenpo Brother' is someone that has shared their journey with you and you yours with them. It's a lot like Mr. Jigaro Kano's concept of 'mutual benefit'...nothing is done or practiced in which both partners do not gain equally. In Judo the thrown gains just as many insights about balance and posture and momentum as the thrower does. Sam Ting, just on a broader spsectrum. They are someone that's become to you a second self. Someone who's got their mind on your best interest as well as their own.

I'm a better person for the many brothers I've had and still do have!!!! They're really a sign that God loves me and that I'm walking the path that I should! Just recently I've had more brothers come out of the woodwork than I thought I had, and it's really been a boon too me. I just hope that I can be as much of a benefit to them as I can be. New students + new brothers = a LOT of good effort and Kenpo being shared!

Its important, in my way of thinking, to acknowledge who is a Kenpo 'brother', who is a BIG brother and a little brother... and who is your Kenpo 'father' and your Kenpo 'children'.
    Sound odd? It's just a way of looking at it.

A brother is, on some level, an equal.
    They might be from your own school and have been there two decades longer than you.....but still not your instructor (as in, not the one running the school and not the one REGULARLY running the classes)...they're my 'Big Brothers'. Some may not be of your school, but you've still gained from them. They're still your family if you've shared Kenpo with them.
    Then there's the guys that just came through your instructors door last week....you're little brothers. You may take it upon yourself to assist them at every turn, but you're not THE one "responsible" for their development.

A father, the one that you say "Yes Sir"...too and are answerable to. (Usually your instructor or instructors, this is an area I've REALLY been blessed in!)
    A 'child' is the one that you're responsible for their development because you are their instructor and if asked by anyone "Who's your instructor" it's YOUR name and image that pops into their mind.

It's a big issue for me to be a loyal "Brother" to many in Kenpo, as many as will share the journey and are loyal back in sharing and helping....
    not being self serving.

Very good topic Mr. Marshall!!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (08-07-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-04-2007),Mikael151 (08-11-2007),MooseKenpo (08-04-2007),nelson (08-05-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

I really think the key word in the above is "respect".

I do disagree with the parts about "sharing hearts" and "knowledge".

Anyone know why?

DOC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    I really think the key word in the above is "respect".

I do disagree with the parts about "sharing hearts" and "knowledge".

Anyone know why?

DOC
    Perhaps their egos got in their way.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

Perhaps their egos got in their way.
    That is a very good posibility, depending on what's meant by ego.

I was talking more on the lines of what "heart" means in the context used...

...and what the real purpose would be for NOT sharing all the knowledge.

Like the knowledge on the Belt Line flow and how that knowledge in reference to fighting skills was kept from their students.

DOC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    That is a very good posibility, depending on what's meant by ego.

I was talking more on the lines of what "heart" means in the context used...

...and what the real purpose would be for NOT sharing all the knowledge.

Like the knowledge on the Belt Line flow and how that knowledge in reference to fighting skills was kept from their students.

DOC
    Dr. John,

Respect is the key, without it there is no humility.

When, speaking of sharing ones heart, I am referring to placing yourself in a position to be hurt by the ones you trust. The heart for me is the core of knowledge for thatís the way I learn. I understand through the mind, but I engrain the material from within.

Many people refuse to share knowledge for various reasons, be it (Associational ties, personal bias, or the I want to be the King syndrome), which is for me an Ego issue.

Every question or request has an answer, sometimes it is yes, sometimes it is no, and sometimes just not right now. The problem people have is when they confuse (No, and not right now). For some reason people feel they are being deprived of the knowledge they seek, when being told no even when they have no base to build that knowledge upon.

Some people need to be told no.

There is a sitituation of authority and leadership to be addressed in most cases.

When one is in a position of leadership, the question isnít if they are in authority, the question is what are they going to with that authority and what defines leadership.

A leader is one who serves those who follow them, not to be served by those whom follow. This is something that most people fail to understand.

There are Warriors, Warrior Scholars, Scholar Warriors, and Scholars. I have just started my path as a warrior scholar, and at times need to be told no to the questions that would be intended for a scholar.

I havent heard the term Belt Flow before, so It wasnt time for me to do so, now I have.

I donít know if I cleared up my view or made it worse.

Either way,
    My Deepest Respect.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (08-07-2007),nelson (08-07-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Respect is key, I agree.

I think the problem arises from those that think thier way is the only way and are too narrow minded to entertain anything otherwise.

(1) SGM Ed Parker created the IKC's and did not just invite kenpoist. He invited folks from different background to participate going beyond a "kenpo brotherhood" and into a "martial arts brotherhood" to truely foster an atmosphere of sharing and learning. IHMO, to say he was truely a man of vision would be an understatement and it's impossible to have vision and be narrow minded at the same time which leads me to #2.

(2) One has to be open minded to truely benefit as well as give back to the "brotherhood." If one has a narrow vision they will not open themselves up to accept something new. They will tenaciously hold on to what they know, finding comfort in that, instead of experiencing the benefits of growth brought about through change and understanding.

My 0.02.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Respect is key, I agree.

I think the problem arises from those that think thier way is the only way and are too narrow minded to entertain anything otherwise.

(1) SGM Ed Parker created the IKC's and did not just invite kenpoist. He invited folks from different background to participate going beyond a "kenpo brotherhood" and into a "martial arts brotherhood" to truely foster an atmosphere of sharing and learning. IHMO, to say he was truely a man of vision would be an understatement and it's impossible to have vision and be narrow minded at the same time which leads me to #2.

(2) One has to be open minded to truely benefit as well as give back to the "brotherhood." If one has a narrow vision they will not open themselves up to accept something new. They will tenaciously hold on to what they know, finding comfort in that, instead of experiencing the benefits of growth brought about through change and understanding.

My 0.02.
    Good post
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

Dr. John,

Respect is the key, without it there is no humility.

When, speaking of sharing ones heart, I am referring to placing yourself in a position to be hurt by the ones you trust. The heart for me is the core of knowledge for thatís the way I learn. I understand through the mind, but I engrain the material from within.

Many people refuse to share knowledge for various reasons, be it (Associational ties, personal bias, or the I want to be the King syndrome), which is for me an Ego issue.

Every question or request has an answer, sometimes it is yes, sometimes it is no, and sometimes just not right now. The problem people have is when they confuse (No, and not right now). For some reason people feel they are being deprived of the knowledge they seek, when being told no even when they have no base to build that knowledge upon.

Some people need to be told no.

There is a sitituation of authority and leadership to be addressed in most cases.

When one is in a position of leadership, the question isnít if they are in authority, the question is what are they going to with that authority and what defines leadership.

A leader is one who serves those who follow them, not to be served by those whom follow. This is something that most people fail to understand.

There are Warriors, Warrior Scholars, Scholar Warriors, and Scholars. I have just started my path as a warrior scholar, and at times need to be told no to the questions that would be intended for a scholar.

I havent heard the term Belt Flow before, so It wasnt time for me to do so, now I have.

I donít know if I cleared up my view or made it worse.

Either way,
    My Deepest Respect.
    I think this is the BEST POST you've written yet.

Thank you.

DOC

24. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-07-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Respect is key, I agree.
    I do not know if Celtic meant it that way or not but I love the pun and the deeper meanings of the spelling he used on "thier".

Those presuppositions are vast.
    DOC

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Brad,

The brotherhood and Sisterhood in Kenpo is strong because people like you and all our Kenpo friends makes it so. I always look for people wearing a Kenpo patch at tournaments (Don't care what kind) and go introduce ourselves and make a new friend. I'll bet you do too. Make a lot of new friends that way!! Can't have too many friends!!!

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

27. The Following User Says Thank You to sifuroy For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (11-18-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sifuroy View Post
    Brad,

The brotherhood and Sisterhood in Kenpo is strong because people like you and all our Kenpo friends makes it so. I always look for people wearing a Kenpo patch at tournaments (Don't care what kind) and go introduce ourselves and make a new friend. I'll bet you do too. Make a lot of new friends that way!! Can't have too many friends!!!

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

Sifu,

Your words honor me, thank you. I do try to meet as many as I can. But there has to be more, unless we share what we have with them, we will soon be forgotten.

My Respects
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Wink Re: What defines Brotherhood/Sisterhood in the arts?

This brotherhood/sisterhood that you referr to is known as "Espririt De Corps" in the Marine Corps and can be find in most professions or groups where a dedication to advancement and a better understanding is called for. It is the respect given to those we know have paid their dues and been fired in the forges of experience. This is the bond that I have grown to depend on and to rely upon in my training. Especially in the martial training wether that training be the military or the kenpo world.

Salute!!
    Devil Dog Mark
    Hawaiian Kempo & Okinawan Kubudo

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Devildogmrk For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (11-19-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

It has been my pleasure to spend time with numerous fine individuals in my own journey, some recognisable, some anonymous. For me, it was the passion for the art and the willingness to pass it on that was it for me. Experiences shared together, be they on the floor or in fine discussion afterword, where we find we have more in common.
    Oh my dear Doctor, you have been naive! I am The Master.
    I am The Master, Lord of Time!
    I am The Master, and you, you will obey me.
    Who in the whole galaxy is not my inferior? There is not one creature!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to The Master For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (01-03-2008)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links