Thread: stick rebounding chamber?

Thanks

Default stick rebounding chamber?

having a fairly basic understanding of the nunchaku (wish i had someone to teach me beyond what i know sofar), i was tinkering with my clubs.. and realized there are some similar recoiling points.. eg. the hip, across the upper arm/bicep.. im not sure of any more, and haven't explored it much more than i did that time..

if i can borrow a video camera again ill show an example since i hate describing sensory things.. but basically the example is a stick in your right hand comes across to your left hip/side and you roll it back like you would a nunchaku, except it doesn't collapse... so you have to be careful, and the flex point is more at your hand..

insert a little body torque (or resistance from your arm if that's the chamber) at the right moment, and you have a extra speed.. sort of like a timing drill. but perhaps not as much as.. i guess its kind of a fulcrum effect? its not instant, like a timing drill. at least to the level i've briefly worked it.. i need to work it with a padded club to see... but i think its an interesting idea to explore..

has anyone had previous experience with this idea? if its in my stick/club cirriculum (the AKKI universal weapon system) i haven't seen it yet.. but is it used in any FMA arts or other stick fighting arts?
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Default Re: stick rebounding chamber?

Can't say I follow you completely but if you can put it on video I'd be glad to take a peek.

As far as rebound...most FMA drills are performed with each person holding a stick. So...the stick-on-stick contact tends to produce more of a rebound than the stick hitting the body.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    if i can borrow a video camera again ill show an example since i hate describing sensory things.. but basically the example is a stick in your right hand comes across to your left hip/side and you roll it back like you would a nunchaku, except it doesn't collapse... so you have to be careful, and the flex point is more at your hand..

insert a little body torque (or resistance from your arm if that's the chamber) at the right moment, and you have a extra speed.. sort of like a timing drill. but perhaps not as much as.. i guess its kind of a fulcrum effect? its not instant, like a timing drill. at least to the level i've briefly worked it.. i need to work it with a padded club to see... but i think its an interesting idea to explore..
    I'm not sure I entirely understand, are you talking about a hand transition where your right hand is at your left hip and the other end of the stick is caught with your left?
    take a look at this vid by GM Remy Presas.... cool bellbottems!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv2CyGNGrpE

Or do you mean reversing the direction of the strike by pushing on your right arm with the left or rebounding off of you torso? If so, watch this vid of Eric Knaus, and more specifically watch his left hand add power to his backhand strikes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WoMgotN90I

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    I'm not sure I entirely understand, are you talking about a hand transition where your right hand is at your left hip and the other end of the stick is caught with your left?
    take a look at this vid by GM Remy Presas.... cool bellbottems!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv2CyGNGrpE
    not quite, it stays in one hand..

Or do you mean reversing the direction of the strike by pushing on your right arm with the left or rebounding off of you torso?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WoMgotN90I
    i think thats about what im trying to say, he starts doing it towards the end. thankyou muchly
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    i think thats about what im trying to say, he starts doing it towards the end. thankyou muchly
    You can also use your torso instead of your left hand, on horizontal shots you can use your opposite shoulder, but if your left hand is free it offers more "push" than the body. You can also pull on your right wrist with your left hand if you are doing a downward diagonal forehand slash. I was pretty skeptical of this when I saw it, then I dang near chucked my stick across the studio the first time I did it because of the added power.

I recommend the Dog Brothers "Power" video from their first video series. Actually, I recommend the entire first series, but you've got to start somewhere.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links