Thread: Structuring your Workouts

Thanks

Default Structuring your Workouts

When you workout by yourself or with your workout buddy, do you have a set way of doing your workouts or do you just start with kata and do whatever you feel like doing?

Tara and I recently started structuring them because we found that we were either farting around too much during our workout time or we weren't covering everything.

Like Staff Set, for instance. We don't have a place that we can comfortably leave our staffs at our club, so we'd have to both remember to bring them to work on it. We now have it scheduled.

What do you all do?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Structuring your Workouts

If I have a body to work with, then hands down that takes precedent over things I could otherwise practice alone. Some exception might be where I need to get my hands on a particular pattern, but even that will occupy only a small percentage of our time together.

We begin with something to get our blood going, a few drills. Sometimes combinations or kicking into a shield or other kind of resistance, other times we'll work a buckle set, sticky hands, some ground drills, or some other drill that one of us came up with and relates to what we're training. If one of us shows up late, the other will warm up however we like - my partner will usually do forms or bag work, I will jump rope, do bag work, or drill basics.

The question will always come up, "so what are you working on?", or, "what would you like to work today?". We both come with agendas, that way we both have some specific material we need a body for. From there we move right into what we want to work on individually. Sometimes they jive, sometimes they differ completely. We feed off of each other's input, and force each others' material to work. I, for example, probably dummy for more Kenpo 5.0 stuff than alot of people not under the JSKK banner. My partner dummies for my stuff.

That will occupy a better part of the training session. We may roll at the end if we've got the time and energy. It usually makes a pretty solid workout for 60 - 90 minutes. He's a successful businessman, and I work and am in grad school. Time is precious for both of us, so we make the best of it.

In short, it all depends on your objectives and those of your partner. I tend to focus on drilling fewer motions hard, focusing on the effectiveness of the opening move against increasing resistance and aggression, while my partner (who has much more material than me) is very good at rolling through a particular fraction of his cirriculum. Both are necessary, and we seem to keep each other in check pretty - not getting bogged down in details vs. still making sure each motion is effective.

So structure wise, its pretty loose and changes every workout based on what we want to train individually. But we don't waste time, either. We bump it up consistently and make sure we both resolve some technical issues, make new discoveries and observations, walk away with a sore spot or two, and get a pretty intense workout all in one.

Look forward to reading more responses.

Cheers,

steven Brown
    UKF

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bujuts For This Useful Post:

amylong (07-15-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Indeed!!!!!!
    Structured is the way to go, but allow yourself some wobble room for time and tastes.

Every Day has THIS structure:

1.All Forms & Sets. (if time is an issue, I cut them down to only those forms/sets that are appropriate to the belt level of the day) They make a great warm up period to get into the groove.

2.3 Techs that are giving me the worst problems. (I call them "challenges") I have a list of techs that are "challenging" to me and I update it at the first of every month, with the goal of whittling it down to NIL. (YEAH.....like that'll ever happen)

3. 3 Techs that are the "newest" to me. I have a list of techs that are the "newest" techs for me and I update it at the first of every month, cycling them out once I've focused on them for at LEAST two months. If they remain an 'issue' after two months, then they're a "challenge" and not "new". (Different list.)

4. The techniques of the Belt Level of the Day, performed at least 4 times, each time paying attention to a specific quality and then adding another quality each performance:
    First: Form.
    Second: Fluidity.
    Third: Fast.
    Fourth: Force.
    The fact that they all start with "F" is more than just a happy coincidence, it's a mnemonic device to help me remember. If I'm not happy with a particular phase, like say 'fluidity' then I'll do MORE repetitions at that phase before moving on to the next. The specific order or sequence of these qualities is important....ponder it and I bet you can figure out why. Often however if I have a problem at a phase, I don't go on to the next at all.....but focus that day on just that one quality.
    I don't always have the luxury of spending all the time I'd like on the techs however, LIFE HAPPENS! So I at LEAST do four. If all four of them stay just in the first one or two phases, so be it.

IF there's a time constraint, then I end my workout after the techs. If not then I repeat #1 and OR go back through the techs again.

Belt levels of the day:
    Monday: Yellow
    Tuesday: Orange
    Wednesday: Purple
    Thursday: Blue
    Friday: Green
    Saturday:Browns
    Sunday: Focus only on the newest techs & challenging techs. (not forms or sets, UNLESS they are 'new' or a 'challenge')
    Note: There is no day for "Black Belt" level techs. That's because they are extensions and go then on the day that I work that tech. For instance, If I know the extension for "Five Swords" then I work it when I do five swords on Tuesdays. IF I just learned the extension for a certain tech, then it goes on my "New" list until I've focused on it for at least two months. IF the introduction of the extension proves difficult for me, then it's a "Challenge" technique.

This is the system I devised a while back, and it works really well for me.
    It's comprehensive, so that I end up NOT specializing, but working everything I know.
    It's GROWTH oriented, in that it focuses on integrating the new things and eliminating weaknesses.
    It's adaptable to any time restrictions....making it so that I can keep up the discipline of daily training, even when things go CRAZY in my life. (NO......say it isn't so!! Crazy? LIFE?? Never........)

Some days, I just get in there and Do whatever the HECK I wana do though. You can't always stay so RIGIDLY structured, but at least I DO workout....
    even if all I do is throw a dart at my tech list.

Any questions or comments?

I'd LOVE to get feedback on my little 'system'.
    Thanks

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

amylong (07-15-2007),DavidCC (07-16-2007),IRONGATOR (07-31-2007),kenpochrstn (07-21-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (07-28-2007),profesormental (07-29-2007),Richard Finn (07-28-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

when i start working out, i practice my punches, on my 100 pound bag i used for boxing, i do some kicks but with no one to hold it i dont do it long the bag goes everywhere, then i practice with my escrima or eskrima sticks, i switch from heavy sticks to light sticks, back and forth that about it, anybody think i should add anything?
    It does not matter where the Martial art comes from. if it can help you defend yourself it is worth learning( Bruce Lee ) May the Force Be With You

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Latinvipers View Post
    when i start working out, i practice my punches, on my 100 pound bag i used for boxing, i do some kicks but with no one to hold it i dont do it long the bag goes everywhere, then i practice with my escrima or eskrima sticks, i switch from heavy sticks to light sticks, back and forth that about it, anybody think i should add anything?
    Dude, those long bags kick ass. They're my fave to practice with...I wish I didn't live in an apartment so I could hang one too

Keep kicking the heavy bag. Yes, it will travel but time your kicks so you're hitting it as it comes towards you. Do stickwork on the heavy bag if you aren't already. Thrusts may not be so good on the canvas but you can do #1 and #2 strikes, #3 and #4 strikes. Make each strike a power strike. Focus on your grip when you do that, build yourself up so your grip won't budge when you're slamming down the rattan down. If you don't have a mirror nearby, try buying an inexpensive full length mirror from a place like Home Depot and put it near the bag when you do your sticks. Make sure you're keeping to good form and good mechanics...which is not always easy to do when you're smacking around a traveling bag.

Thanks

That's one advantage hanging bags have over free standing bags. As the bag moves about, it's your opportunity to practice your footwork, getting in, out, around and working different ranges.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

when i start working out, i practice my punches...anybody think i should add anything?
    Is it just "punching", or are you working on the strikes you learn in kenpo? For me, I do a lot of work to understand the particular power source on damn near every hit I do, not just taking a boxer's approach to it. If I can't rock a bag or a body with a given strike, I don't like it. It often requires isolation of the strike and focus on it from different stances, at different angles, at different speeds, and at different depths of penetration. What also helps is finding out which muscle groups are bearing the brunt of the strike, which allows me to understand the anatomical alignment supporting the action.

Thass my only input. Cheers,

Steven Brown
    UKF
    Last edited by bujuts; 07-29-2007 at 11:03 PM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links