Thread: ying yang

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Smile ying yang

what's up kenpo nation, i have the patch with the dragon and tiger, i was not sure how to put it on my pants, weather the black and white go vertical or horizontial, so i had bought a dojo bag to but my uniform, and the ying yang was horizontial the black being on top, and the white being on the bottom, so thats how i did it, is that right?
    It does not matter where the Martial art comes from. if it can help you defend yourself it is worth learning( Bruce Lee ) May the Force Be With You

Thanks

Default Re: ying yang

Quote Originally Posted by Latinvipers View Post
    ... i have the patch with the dragon and tiger, i was not sure how to put it on my pants, weather the black and white go vertical or horizontial, so i had bought a dojo bag to but my uniform, and the ying yang was horizontial the black being on top, and the white being on the bottom, so thats how i did it, is that right?
    There is no "right" way to wear a yin-yang symbol. However, protocol for wearing patches, crests, and insignia are set by the variouse organizations and individual schools. Ask you instructor before putting anything on your uniform.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedan For This Useful Post:

Brother John (07-15-2007),Latinvipers (06-23-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    There is no "right" way to wear a yin-yang symbol. However, protocol for wearing patches, crests, and insignia are set by the variouse organizations and individual schools. Ask you instructor before putting anything on your uniform.

Dan C
    yea i showed him when i put it on, he said it was good, i just started thinking about it today, when i was putting it on i was thinking the warrior as the tiger and the scholar being the dragon so i put the dragon on top, but i guess its fine seeing my instructor didn't say take it off. thanks
    It does not matter where the Martial art comes from. if it can help you defend yourself it is worth learning( Bruce Lee ) May the Force Be With You

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Many schools have strict rules on what you can wear and where you put it. We do. We will allow a Kenpo Patch, A motion Patch, and a flag. also we regulate where you put them. Some people wear so many patches is impssible to tell who they represent and it dosent look good anyhow.
    your Gi is not a Bulletin Board.

I am Most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

Thanks
    Thanked 3,146 Times in 1,488 Posts

I have read that their is actually a proper way to display the Yin/Yang symbol, and often it is displayed improperly, as most people don't know or understand this.

i read that the dark is descending on the right side. So the two little comma shapes of white and black are rotating in a clockwise circle, with the fat end of the comma leading. The two colors are side-by-side vertically, and the black is on the right.

I don't know with absolute certainty if this is correct, but I did read that description, and it was presented with conviction.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    Ask you instructor before putting anything on your uniform.
    THAT is the key!!

That is always the key!
    IF you have a 'personal Gi' that you only wear at home and never out, you could probably wear whatever you wanted....
    but when you're being seen, you represent your art, your school, your association and MOST of all your instructor.
    IF they want you to have a "Tai-Chi" symbol (Yin & Yang are the principles it represents, but the symbol is called a 'tai-chi'....meaning "Grand-Ultimate") they can tell you exactly how to wear it the correct way.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links