Thread: Ryukyu Kempo ....

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Ryukyu Kempo ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vocVEplsOY

What do you think ?.....I myself likey...likey alot ! lol

I like the footwork, nice little distance adjuster, pretty fluid as well!
    "Mighty power like steel is our Kata and heritage which require a long time of practice and training. It is what men are seeking, just only for their self-respect and self-defense."
    MASTER MEITOKU YAGI

2. The Following User Says Thank You to unshackled-chi For This Useful Post:

Brother John (06-12-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Ryukyu Kempo ....

It's good stuff, but the title is misleading as that is straght up mma training.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]When in doubt, go for the groin.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RamsHead View Post
    It's good stuff, but the title is misleading as that is straght up mma training.

really ? I didnt feel that, i just saw it as a guy flowing out of his system, with whats relevant for today. Thanx for the post, ill have to watch this one a bit closer now lol, and maybe check into the actual system a bit further....
    "Mighty power like steel is our Kata and heritage which require a long time of practice and training. It is what men are seeking, just only for their self-respect and self-defense."
    MASTER MEITOKU YAGI

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

That was interesting. Mr. Perez has some great skills and great energy. There were a couple of things that bugged me...6 armbars and he didn't get a lock on any of them, he just quickly dropped the arm and climbed back in to the mount. I would have rather seen him done the move thoroughly rather than be in time with the music.

Some of his footwork was really good, other parts He seems to have a habit of jumping in to a wide stance...I don't know if that is intentional or not. To me it looked kind of odd but...not everything that works necessarily looks cool. As odd as some of the stances seemed, his moves seemed very instinctual and natural. I think it would be even cooler to see him see him and similarly agile uke squaring off....I think the two flowing together would have explained the footwork better, at least to my uneducated eyes.

I was really impressed with his bag work. I would have personally liked to see a bit more diversity in his round kicks, the only ones I saw connected with the instep of his feet, instead of seeing some that connected with his shins as well. If he *only* connects with the bag using his instep, that strikes me as a little weird. But all in all, I likey!

Good find.
    Last edited by Carol; 05-20-2007 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    That was interesting. Mr. Perez has some great skills and great energy. There were a couple of things that bugged me...6 armbars and he didn't get a lock on any of them, he just quickly dropped the arm and climbed back in to the mount. I would have rather seen him done the move thoroughly rather than be in time with the music.

Some of his footwork was really good, other parts He seems to have a habit of jumping in to a wide stance...I don't know if that is intentional or not. To me it looked kind of odd but...not everything that works necessarily looks cool. As odd as some of the stances seemed, his moves seemed very instinctual and natural. I think it would be even cooler to see him see him and similarly agile uke squaring off....I think the two flowing together would have explained the footwork better, at least to my uneducated eyes.

I was really impressed with his bag work. I would have personally liked to see a bit more diversity in his round kicks, the only ones I saw connected with the instep of his feet, instead of seeing some that connected with his shins as well. If he *only* connects with the bag using his instep, that strikes me as a little weird. But all in all, I likey!

Good find.
    I love it when a person has the intelligence to be specific in their praise, and the clarity of thought to be a good communicator.

So many who praise sound like a Baptist minister. Ha-le-lu-ya!

Thank you Carol.
    Doc John

7. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Carol (06-13-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unshackled-chi View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vocVEplsOY

What do you think ?.....I myself likey...likey alot ! lol

I like the footwork, nice little distance adjuster, pretty fluid as well!
    I enjoyed the clip too.
    I usually enjoy watching a proficient, traditional Okinawan karateka do their kata. Especially people in or related to the Ryu Kyu Kempo tradition, they tend to KNOW their Kyusho well and it shows in the specificity of their motion.

The grappling element was interesting too!!!
    I bet he's quite the person to train with.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Greetings.

Originally Posted by Carol Kaur
    That is an exercise for the mechanics of the armbar from the mount. It is used to develop the explosiveness to "get 'em". Normally it is practiced, well, more explosively and lively.

Looks like well rounded training regimen between traditional and sport aspects.

Juan M. Mercado

10. The Following User Says Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

Carol (06-13-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    Some of his footwork was really good, other parts He seems to have a habit of jumping in to a wide stance...I don't know if that is intentional or not.
    One of the nice things about Kenpo is that it's likely anyone attacking you doesn't know kenpo. Your opponent doesn't know how you are going to move and react. One downside of sport MMA, is that you are constantly practicing against people who have similar training. I think after a lot of practice with other MMA people, some people unconsciously start to widen their stances to guard against the opponent shooting in. This has the unfortunate effect of having the fighters get used to fighting at greater distances, and thus relying on their ground game more, as the standup becomes secondary and something you do just to ultimately go to the ground, instead of turning the standup into it's own bonafide pain center.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to J-squared For This Useful Post:

Carol (06-13-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    I love it when a person has the intelligence to be specific in their praise, and the clarity of thought to be a good communicator.

So many who praise sound like a Baptist minister. Ha-le-lu-ya!

Thank you Carol.
    Doc John
    You're too kind, Dr. John. I'm afraid sometimes I gravitate towards putting the anal in analytical.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by profesormental View Post
    Greetings.

That is an exercise for the mechanics of the armbar from the mount. It is used to develop the explosiveness to "get 'em". Normally it is practiced, well, more explosively and lively.
    Thanks very much Sr. Mercado There is one thing bugging me though...if this a drill for the mechanics then why are some of the mechanics missing? IMO it takes more mechanical finess to secure the lock after you've tossed yourself backwards than simply tossing yourself backwards.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J-squared View Post
    One of the nice things about Kenpo is that it's likely anyone attacking you doesn't know kenpo. Your opponent doesn't know how you are going to move and react. One downside of sport MMA, is that you are constantly practicing against people who have similar training. I think after a lot of practice with other MMA people, some people unconsciously start to widen their stances to guard against the opponent shooting in. This has the unfortunate effect of having the fighters get used to fighting at greater distances, and thus relying on their ground game more, as the standup becomes secondary and something you do just to ultimately go to the ground, instead of turning the standup into it's own bonafide pain center.
    AH! That makes a lot of sense. Thanks very much.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I would say this looks closer to sport MMA. But that is the beauty of Ryukyu Kempo. It is probably the orginal MMA art. People took different aspect and added it to their own art to create Ryukyu Kempo.

As for the armbars there are many ways to practice it. How he was practicing it, if he missed the arm bar he was getting back to good position. Not continuing to go for it and lose the lock and the position. He was also practicing it as a hip movement. Many people who go for this type of arm lock move the leg but not the hips and it is very tough to get it with just leg movement.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links