Thread: UFC, in the beginning.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default UFC, in the beginning.

So I was killing time on Youtube, and found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlYD-j9GSvo The sheer brutality of the first UFC match boggles my mind, and makes me want to see more. The modern UFC is like watching little kids have at it compared to that. That footage is more intense then most street fighting I have seen, legs breaking, teeth flying into the audience. I suppose that's why it's illegal now. Anyway, just wanted to share the video.
    "Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result." - Tien T'ai
    "If you train very hard, you will be very good." - Remy Presas

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dharma_Punk For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (05-22-2007),unshackled-chi (05-19-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: UFC, in the beginning.

NICE!

It just goes to show the power in simplicity. The main thing, in my opinion that make's gracie jujitsu so ,so effective, is the power of simplicity.
    Not to say that the art of BJJ is simple, but the simplicity found in a single goal (ie) go to the ground.

The reason the gracie's dominated , in my opinion, is traditional arts had no preperation or idea for that matter about how to survive on the ground, and well...it showed.

However in contrast, in the ring it is safe from multiple attackers. The thought that only an eye-jab/grabbing his un-mentionables is what makes it effective , is equally lacking. In a one on one you may not be always have a multiple attack and he may as well be equally aware of a finger in the eye routine(honestly it has been posted so many times by traditional martial artist, i would say they are very aware of it) and train for it.

The average joe on the street would probably fall prey to any trained artist from any art, for there lack of strategy and understanding. In my opinion it is not the art, it is the student/instruction/traning that makes the difference.

Simplicity is king lol ,and practice makes perfect, but if it is not instilled to a state of automatic ,ranges,aliveness,flowing, and well versed in all ranges (ie) grappling to !....you could find yourself in serious trouble , the chances of running across someone who is a trained mma fighter or bjj champ in the street may be slim, if you are adhereing to the concepts of respect etc.. that are gained from traditional martial art's, but if your goal is to become a total warrior for the love of martial arts and study...we must adapt and overcome.

Why i went off on this i have no idea lol...sorry
    "Mighty power like steel is our Kata and heritage which require a long time of practice and training. It is what men are seeking, just only for their self-respect and self-defense."
    MASTER MEITOKU YAGI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I remember buying the PPV of UFC1. I was all into it! The problem was they had difficulty finding places to hold the events because they had to be approved by the state boxing commision. And, they were considered too violent (even though these type events had been going on in other countries with NO fatalities...something boxing can not claim!)

I remember cringing when they went to weight classes and started implementing more and more rules. Oh well....they had to survive I guess.

I suppose some could draw a parallel to the evolution of the UFC and martial arts schools in general becoming commercialized into McDojo's.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

good video.. i have to agree people back then had no clue how to defend against that kind of stuff. unless maybe they had a backround in wrestling. and even then they're doing different things.

thing is that people dont realize.. martial artists, REAL artists.. not fighters.. (not saying a martial artist cant be a fighter) train against a real life attacker. most people that have significant training in ANY art know, there's ALWAYS someone that can whoop your ass. so hopefully they'd know better..

we dont train specifically to fight other trained people, altho its an asset.. its good especially since most folks know some boxing or wrestling.. or think they can do the stuff like on the UFC.

to me proof that traditional arts, and Kenpo training can and DO work in real life situations. how many Kenpoists alone have you heard of that become Bouncers, Body Guards, Cops, or CO's? those are all pretty risky violent jobs, with real, live, possibly armed, non compliant, sometimes even trained attackers.. if it works good enough for them. its good enough for me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (05-22-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

While watching footage of the Gracies at work, I've noticed they all employ the same strategy. They know the ground is their strong point, so almost always they just charge their opponent and take whatever punches or moves he can throw while they get him to the ground. Once down it's all over.
    "Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result." - Tien T'ai

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7cUofi5D5U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inpq-ltR0WI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG9zd5BtyLE

So far these were the only vid's i could find of kenpo in the ufc. Keith hackney, white tiger kenpo.
    "Mighty power like steel is our Kata and heritage which require a long time of practice and training. It is what men are seeking, just only for their self-respect and self-defense."
    MASTER MEITOKU YAGI

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

In the early UFC's some of Royce's toughest fights were against other grapplers Shamrock, Severn, Hackney, Kimo. It was right after the Kimo fight, they went to weight classes. Also the Gracie's don't count it as a lose, but I do. That they threw in the towel and Royce did not fight for the championship in UFC 3.

Also during the early UFC the Dog Brother's were to have some stick fighting matches. These matches were to take place in between the fights of the UFC. These stick fighting matches use mimimal padded gear, fencing helments and real sticks. You could punch, kick, grapple and beat the snot out of the guy with your stick. The UFC deemed these too Violent

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma_Punk View Post
    So I was killing time on Youtube, and found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlYD-j9GSvo The sheer brutality of the first UFC match boggles my mind, and makes me want to see more. The modern UFC is like watching little kids have at it compared to that. That footage is more intense then most street fighting I have seen, legs breaking, teeth flying into the audience. I suppose that's why it's illegal now. Anyway, just wanted to share the video.
    I remember it well. It was exciting and also disturbing at the same time to watch it as it happened.

I wonder if they brought back the original "rules" how it would fare today as the sport it has evolved into.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Apparently strikes to the mastoid were illegal. A nice inward-downward palmheel would be great in "no holds barred" type fighting. I've heard they even allow it on Klingon ships.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma_Punk View Post
    While watching footage of the Gracies at work, I've noticed they all employ the same strategy. They know the ground is their strong point, so almost always they just charge their opponent and take whatever punches or moves he can throw while they get him to the ground. Once down it's all over.
    It's a good thing they don't have to fight more than one person, huh?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (05-22-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I have respect for the Gracies from their UFC point in being the champions of the "Old" UFC. Keith Hackney was probrably Royce's best fight IMO. What I am wondering is if someone could name some really, really good talented fighters who went to challenge the Gracies back in the day like Rorion was saying....

I question this because I have not heard any familiar martial artists names who fought the Gracies back then or even to the present. I think most really great martial artists and masters did not challenge the Gracies because it is simply not what they do, and why should they? What do they have to prove? Who is "The best?" I really think a good martial artist who knows what he can do really does not have to prove anything to anyone. Keith Hackey was a good fighter and probrably still is, he lost to Royce because of the ground game of course.

Nothing against UFC, but the old UFC did not really impress me, and it even had groin shots and eye gouging! Of course, UFC was for the guys who really trained hard for a full contact MMA ring to prove how inefficient and sloppy techniques can become a nasty outcome to the American fans and make the Gracies even richer! :P

Overall, pretty cool vid!

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

[QUOTEI have respect for the Gracies from their UFC point in being the champions of the "Old" UFC. Keith Hackney was probrably Royce's best fight IMO. What I am wondering is if someone could name some really, really good talented fighters who went to challenge the Gracies back in the day like Rorion was saying][/QUOTE]

In the early UFC's some of Royce's toughest fights were against other grapplers Shamrock, Severn, Hackney, Kimo. It was right after the Kimo fight, they went to weight classes. Also the Gracie's don't count it as a lose, but I do. That they threw in the towel and Royce did not fight for the championship in UFC 3.
    Kimo had probably 50 pounds on Royce. Royce pulled guard and Kimo started to ground and Pound him. Royce ended up armbarring him. But Royce was blooded up and his eye was closing up. Royce was scheduled to fight the next round and his father threw in the towel, cause he could see and was unable to fight.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kempojujutsu For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (05-29-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

In all honesty, I think PRIDE fighting is a lot more intense then UFC is these days. But those clips from the first few fights impressed me. You are right though, I can't think of any truly great fighters they went up against, and some matches, like them against the sumo guy, weren't even fair game.
    Last edited by Dharma_Punk; 05-29-2007 at 04:01 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dharma_Punk For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (05-29-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

You know I agree 100%. I think Pride fighters are a lot more better than UFC. I've seen some really good fighters jump in Pride with awesome technique like you would see from really good fighters elsewhere. In Pride they seem more intense with technique, faster kicks like Alex Gong and the other amazing kickboxers, even Chung Li's K1 impresses me with his scissor kicks and throws.

Pride still has Fedor, one of the best MMA ring fighters in the world. That guy is one crazy dude, ill admitt. Pride also has Wanderlei Silva from Brazil, who is simply amazing as well. Shogun, Fujita, the Gracie hunter, etc, all from Pride.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Warren044 For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (05-29-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I think what I like about these competitions is the mixture between grappling and striking.

I think every student of the martial arts can learning something from watching UFC and Pride matches.

I think in the beginning, too many strikers over-estimated their ability to knock someone out and underestimated a grappler's ability to take them down and dominate them.

I know I never want to mix it up with any of those guys, they're all tough.
    Humility is not thinking less of yourself. It's thinking of yourself, less.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I remember buying the PPV of UFC1. I was all into it! The problem was they had difficulty finding places to hold the events because they had to be approved by the state boxing commision. And, they were considered too violent (even though these type events had been going on in other countries with NO fatalities...something boxing can not claim!)

I remember cringing when they went to weight classes and started implementing more and more rules. Oh well....they had to survive I guess.

I suppose some could draw a parallel to the evolution of the UFC and martial arts schools in general becoming commercialized into McDojo's.
    Yep.

There are laws against mayhem bouts even if wavers are signed.

Maybe some day the laws that be will revitalize the colosium fights from the Roman gladiators.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    Yep.

There are laws against mayhem bouts even if wavers are signed.

Maybe some day the laws that be will revitalize the colosium fights from the Roman gladiators.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    ???

Boxing has resulted in deaths and even worse brain damage in it's combatants...
    Even with only 2 rules in the begining, no fishhooking and no eyeguaging, the UFC has had neither.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links