Thread: Architect's of Destruction: Understanding the Blueprint's for War.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Architect's of Destruction: Understanding the Blueprint's for War.

" Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of himself without that law is both,for a wounded man shall say unto his assailant "If i live i will kill you, if i die you are forgiving." Such is the rule of Honor."
    Unknown....

" Master the will. Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life! Do not be concerned with escaping safley-lay your life before him! "
    Bruce Lee...

" Traditional" Martial Arts were forged through the eyes and minds of those who saw war and a great need for self-preservation.
    They lived in a time when combat meant someone went home and some one became a memory,and they trained accordingly. Kata was a form of training when partners were limited and for a quite time of reflection and mental preperation, to do what no man desires to do.

While traditional Art's had a method to the madness, a pattern to the fog of war for trainning, i feel they moved in combat with complete freedom from these set patterns, they had disigned a "Blueprint" and "outline" a " understanding" of how combat unfolds and the common attacks that they saw with their own eyes and thus stidied these movements and trained their bodies to react in accordance .

With the recent and rapid growth and interest in events like the ufc, mixed martial arts and the end all cure all of combat, it has led to a false understanding and negative outlook on traditional Martial Arts, with little respect for where these new " hybrid" fighters come from.

The problem is not in the traditional Art's, it is only found in the individual and the teachers , who either dont know themselves or dont care to explain the history and trainning methods/mindsets of our predecessor's.

My honest hearts desire is that there will sweep a movement amongst traditionalist to return if not there already to the level of trainning and mind that gave birth to what can not be denied was combat proven and worthy systems that were not held captive by rule's etc..
    but certainly there is more to these arts besides the finger jab, groin shots and biting.
    "Mighty power like steel is our Kata and heritage which require a long time of practice and training. It is what men are seeking, just only for their self-respect and self-defense."
    MASTER MEITOKU YAGI

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unshackled-chi For This Useful Post:

nelson (05-15-2007),sifuroy (05-15-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: Architect's of Destruction: Understanding the Blueprint's for War.

" Traditional" Martial Arts were forged through the eyes and minds of those who saw war and a great need for self-preservation.
    A very romantic viewpoint. Some were, but not all. And, define "traditional." I'm betting you mean classical combat systems, not modern do-ism.

While traditional Art's had a method to the madness, a pattern to the fog of war for trainning, i feel they moved in combat with complete freedom from these set patterns, they had disigned a "Blueprint" and "outline" a " understanding" of how combat unfolds and the common attacks that they saw with their own eyes and thus stidied these movements and trained their bodies to react in accordance .
    So should, and in some cases do, modern combat arts.

With the recent and rapid growth and interest in events like the ufc, mixed martial arts and the end all cure all of combat, it has led to a false understanding and negative outlook on traditional Martial Arts, with little respect for where these new " hybrid" fighters come from.
    Misunderstanding is, has always been, and will be in the future, part of the human condition. MA's are human, despite how we might like to view ourselves.

My honest hearts desire is that there will sweep a movement amongst traditionalist to return if not there already to the level of trainning and mind that gave birth to what can not be denied was combat proven and worthy systems that were not held captive by rule's etc.
    The majority of those old arts are gone. Most that have survived have adapted to fit the needs of practitioners over time. This is as it should be. Combat trends are cyclical, in some respects. Bullets did away with body armor, now we have developed new body armor to stop bullets. So, yes, hand to hand tactics may evolve back to some of the older methods. But it won't devolve. Combat is different- the tools, the tactics and the technology are different. Combat arts will change to address these, or die with their practitioners.

Sport arts will change to meet the demands of ring and rules. Whole different animal- still valid, but not the same.

Self defense arts have their own focus, methodology, and mindset. And they might be trained differently depending on the needs of the practitioner. A single mom in a bad neighborhood might train differently from the cop who patrols that same neighborhood. So might the guy next door. And, yes, the punk they are defending against might even train the same art differently than they. Different needs and abilities, different focus in training.

Modern "traditional" martial arts are dedicated more to self improvment than fighting- that and, in some cases, deluding themselves. But, we all tend to do that, so ...

Regardless, we should not try to impose our methods or beliefs on the other systems, any more than we should allow them to impose theirs on us. And, when we look back or to other systems, do so with understanding and discernment. Take what works with your system and is useful, and just learn how to deal with the rest if it comes at you. Train for what you want or need, not the ideology of someone else, past or present.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

"Modern "traditional" martial arts are dedicated more to self improvment than fighting- that and, in some cases, deluding themselves. But, we all tend to do that, so ..."

Yeah lol, and i got a problem with that , if i see Golden arch's im thinking they have happy meals in there, if i see Martial Arts signs on a building im thinking they have fighter's in there and if they dont ! they shouldnt advertise that way, perhaps yoga would be better hahaha.

Traditional/classical/modern/ yadda yadda, all have alot to offer when trained and understood properly period.
    "Mighty power like steel is our Kata and heritage which require a long time of practice and training. It is what men are seeking, just only for their self-respect and self-defense."
    MASTER MEITOKU YAGI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Even during those times, or "back in the day" shall we say...there were bar room brawlers that only wanted to beat their chests and proclaim to the world that they were mighty! LOL. Meanwhile, the "masters" honed their skill, bodies, and minds to become better human beings.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (05-15-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I think i actually missed my own point and for that im sorry.

What i was really wanting to say is that what is negatively viewed as "traditional" Martial Arts, can be very effective.

And what i feel these systems of old were doing when laying the ground work through tech's ,kata etc.. was giving us a blueprint to study and build off of.

While it is highly speculative on my part, i feel within any system of set patterns the goal is to understand the art of movement to eventually flow out of the pattern and simply just be alive and fighting, not following the blueprint line for line precept on precept, being our art instead of just tranning our art and with that in mind being taught that this is the goal.

My two cents
    MASTER MEITOKU YAGI

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links