Thread: Boxing: Mayweather vs De La Hoya

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    At home, playing chess with a bust of Julius Caesar
    Thanks

Default Boxing: Mayweather vs De La Hoya

Did anyone here watch this fight? I'm 'out of the loop' as far as boxing judging is supposed to go and I also didn't pay attention in a quiet room the whole time, but I observed three main things in this 12 round bout:

1. De La Hoya being the aggressor and moving Mayweather backward for the vast majority of the fight
    2. De La Hoya looking like he might've had Mayweather in trouble numerous times during the fight, whereas I didn't catch Mayweather returning the favor more than a couple of times
    3. De La Hoya landing far more punches and better combos throughout the fight, while most of Mayweather's points were on single punches which, though they may have connected well, never appeared to put De La Hoya in danger of being knocked down

...and yet Mayweather won a split decision. This is one reason why I simply don't care what happens in boxing anymore. I only saw about two rounds I could call for Mayweather, but apparently either I'm blind or boxing has very strange rules, because he won the decision. To me, it seems like as far as decisions go in boxing anymore, you might as well be watching big time wrasslin'.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Boxing: Mayweather vs De La Hoya

So who really governs Boxing these days? The boxing commission or HBO who is raking in money hand over fist.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    At home, playing chess with a bust of Julius Caesar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    So who really governs Boxing these days? The boxing commission or HBO who is raking in money hand over fist.
    I would guess that the latter has quite a lot of control. The Nevada Athletic Commission needs an overhaul if boxing is going to salvage what's left of its reputation (if that's even possible). Otherwise, I don't think boxing will have any pertinence as a fighting sport in light of the popularity of Mixed Martial Arts in the coming years. I used to like boxing long ago, but for many years the heavyweight fights have been a snooze, and certain decisions extremely suspect.

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

The last few heavyweights fights I've seen amounted to probably about a dozen punces thrown per round. It would be very easy to fall asleep during the fight.
    Mixed Martial Arts is actually exciting. You never know what will happen next. I have seen people who look like they were beaten turn the fight around with a choke or submission. I think Boxing is on it's last legs. Mixed Martial arts is replacing it. Only my opinion.

I am most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links