Thread: Article on womens self-defense

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Article on womens self-defense

Personally, I think women should attend more than 1 of these courses annually, more like 4 at least to get any real benefit. But then again, if they really want to be better prepared they should probably enroll in regular classes. Still, some good info. Enjoy!

IN OUR OWN DEFENSE

By Victoria Wesseler
    Lifestyle, Gardening, and Culinary Writer.

He came up behind me and grabbed my left shoulder. I knew I had to act immediately. I whirled around and punched my attacker in the face with my free hand and delivered a hard, fast kick to his crotch with my right foot. As I ran and escaped from him, I kept screaming at the top of my lungs, “Stop it. Leave me alone! Get away from me!”

“Nice work,” the instructor said as he adjusted his padding. “Who’s next?”

Although it might seem a bit unusual for a “girls night out,” four of my friends and I decided to attend a Women’s Self-Defense class that was offered by our local police department last week. On the ride to the class we shared stories about being attacked or followed. One of my friends had been sexually assaulted in college as she walked from the library to her dorm late one evening. Another was confronted at gunpoint by a man and woman posing as a couple asking for directions while she and a friend walked to their hotel on a crowded city street while on vacation. And a third had been followed once in a shopping mall by a man with a hunting knife hanging from his belt. We all, like every woman we knew, had good reason to want to learn how to protect ourselves.

The instructor didn’t candy coat the facts. We are vulnerable. Attacks on women occur in the home, workplace, and school, while running errands and during leisure time activities such as shopping. Places where attacks occur most frequently include grocery store parking lots, stairwells in building and parking garages, public restrooms, and public parking garages. He said that attackers look for victims who are distracted and agreeable. Here are some of his tips for minimizing the possibility of getting attacked and fending off an attack away from and in your home:

When away from your home:
      • <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">Be aware of your surroundings when you are out and about. Avoid doing things that distract you such as talking on your cell phone as you are approaching your car in a parking lot and listening to music with headphones when you run or take a walk. <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">Carry your keys in your hand when you walk from the building to your car. Don’t wait until you get to your car and then search through your purse for them. <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">Always keep your car doors locked while you are driving. Lock them immediately when you get in the car. <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">Before you unlock your car and get out of it in a parking area, look around you. If you see someone or anything that looks suspicious, find another parking space. <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">In lines of traffic, stay far enough behind the car in front of you so that you can fully see its rear tires at all times. This will give you plenty of space to veer into another lane if you have to. <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">Don’t be nice. If a stranger approaches you and asks for help with his or her bags or wants directions, just say “no” and keep on walking. Don’t worry about looking foolish or rude. This is a common ruse and exactly what happened to my friend who was approached by the gun-toting couple. She thought they looked nice enough until they pulled the gun on her. <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">If you are approached for your purse or wallet, throw it in the direction of the attacker and run in the opposite direction while you scream loudly. This is what my friend did when she saw the gun—that action saved her life. They instinctively went for the purse and she and her friend ran. <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">If you are carrying a lot of bags and are approached or physically grabbed. Drop the bags, start screaming, and run. <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">Don’t wear very loose clothing. It is easier to grab and pull off. <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">If someone is approaching you and you feel uncomfortable, look the person directly in the eye and say something like “Isn’t this a nice day?” and keep on walking. Be strong and confident in your voice and stride. Remember, they are looking for easy prey. Show your strength and confidence. Attackers don’t want to be identified later. Look them straight in the eye. Don’t smile. Let them know you will remember their face. <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">Carry pepper spray when you walk. Have it in your hand. It does you no good in your purse! <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">If you have a gun, know how to use it. Take handgun self-defense classes. A gun in your purse or nightstand is no good if you don’t know how to use it. <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">If you are on an elevator alone and another person gets on, get off. No need to explain your actions to anyone. I have a friend who travels on business a lot and she does this in all hotels. Like she says, “What do I care what someone thinks of me? I just want to be safe!”
      • Attackers don’t want a fight. You have to react quickly and decisively in the face of an attack. Scream at the top of your lungs. Yell “No! Get Away!” Shout obscenities. Run as fast as you can. Make a real scene. This accomplishes two things. It is an element of surprise for the attacker who wants a willing, passive victim, and yelling actually forces you to breathe. If you don’t yell, you will hold your breath and get weak at a time when you need to be strong.

To protect yourself in your home
    :

• <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">Have a home invasion plan. You probably have a plan for escaping your home if there is a fire. But does your family have a plan if someone breaks in? <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">If someone breaks in, dial 911 immediately. Keep your cell phone on your nightstand at night. If the phone lines have been compromised, you have a second line of communication within immediate reach. <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">Invest in the best locks, doors, and alarm system for your home. This is not the place to scrimp and save money. <LI style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0pt">Never enter your home if the door is open and you know you closed it when you left. Leave and call the police immediately.
      • Do not indicate the number of people in your family or that you are not at home on your answering machine or voice mail. Record a simple message in a male voice saying, “Thank you for calling. Please leave a message.” Someone does not need to know that there are children in the home, that you live alone, or that you are on vacation.

After the lecture, we practiced various defense moves and learned how to get out of different holds that an attacker might use on us. We learned so many things that night that it is impossible for me to share them all here.

During the ride home, we agreed that every woman should be required to take this class once a year. It will now be an annual event for us. And we are going to insist that every woman we know and every woman that she knows comes with us!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

thedan (04-13-2007),Z-Rex (04-12-2007)

Z-Rex is offline Zoran Sevic
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 607 Posts

Default Re: Article on womens self-defense

Personally, I think women should attend more than 1 of these courses annually, more like 4 at least to get any real benefit. But then again, if they really want to be better prepared they should probably enroll in regular classes. Still, some good info. Enjoy!

IN OUR OWN DEFENSE

By Victoria Wesseler
    Lifestyle, Gardening, and Culinary Writer.

He came up behind me and grabbed my left shoulder. I knew I had to act immediately. I whirled around and punched my attacker in the face with my free hand and delivered a hard, fast kick to his crotch with my right foot. As I ran and escaped from him, I kept screaming at the top of my lungs, “Stop it. Leave me alone! Get away from me!”

“Nice work,” the instructor said as he adjusted his padding. “Who’s next?”

Although it might seem a bit unusual for a “girls night out,” four of my friends and I decided to attend a Women’s Self-Defense class that was offered by our local police department last week. On the ride to the class we shared stories about being attacked or followed. One of my friends had been sexually assaulted in college as she walked from the library to her dorm late one evening. Another was confronted at gunpoint by a man and woman posing as a couple asking for directions while she and a friend walked to their hotel on a crowded city street while on vacation. And a third had been followed once in a shopping mall by a man with a hunting knife hanging from his belt. We all, like every woman we knew, had good reason to want to learn how to protect ourselves.

The instructor didn’t candy coat the facts. We are vulnerable. Attacks on women occur in the home, workplace, and school, while running errands and during leisure time activities such as shopping. Places where attacks occur most frequently include grocery store parking lots, stairwells in building and parking garages, public restrooms, and public parking garages. He said that attackers look for victims who are distracted and agreeable. Here are some of his tips for minimizing the possibility of getting attacked and fending off an attack away from and in your home:

When away from your home:
    • Be aware of your surroundings when you are out and about. Avoid doing things that distract you such as talking on your cell phone as you are approaching your car in a parking lot and listening to music with headphones when you run or take a walk.
    • Carry your keys in your hand when you walk from the building to your car. Don’t wait until you get to your car and then search through your purse for them.
    • Always keep your car doors locked while you are driving. Lock them immediately when you get in the car.
    • Before you unlock your car and get out of it in a parking area, look around you. If you see someone or anything that looks suspicious, find another parking space.
    • In lines of traffic, stay far enough behind the car in front of you so that you can fully see its rear tires at all times. This will give you plenty of space to veer into another lane if you have to.
    • Don’t be nice. If a stranger approaches you and asks for help with his or her bags or wants directions, just say “no” and keep on walking. Don’t worry about looking foolish or rude. This is a common ruse and exactly what happened to my friend who was approached by the gun-toting couple. She thought they looked nice enough until they pulled the gun on her.
    • If you are approached for your purse or wallet, throw it in the direction of the attacker and run in the opposite direction while you scream loudly. This is what my friend did when she saw the gun—that action saved her life. They instinctively went for the purse and she and her friend ran.
    • If you are carrying a lot of bags and are approached or physically grabbed. Drop the bags, start screaming, and run.
    • Don’t wear very loose clothing. It is easier to grab and pull off.
    • If someone is approaching you and you feel uncomfortable, look the person directly in the eye and say something like “Isn’t this a nice day?” and keep on walking. Be strong and confident in your voice and stride. Remember, they are looking for easy prey. Show your strength and confidence. Attackers don’t want to be identified later. Look them straight in the eye. Don’t smile. Let them know you will remember their face.
    • Carry pepper spray when you walk. Have it in your hand. It does you no good in your purse!
    • If you have a gun, know how to use it. Take handgun self-defense classes. A gun in your purse or nightstand is no good if you don’t know how to use it.
    • If you are on an elevator alone and another person gets on, get off. No need to explain your actions to anyone. I have a friend who travels on business a lot and she does this in all hotels. Like she says, “What do I care what someone thinks of me? I just want to be safe!”
    • Attackers don’t want a fight. You have to react quickly and decisively in the face of an attack. Scream at the top of your lungs. Yell “No! Get Away!” Shout obscenities. Run as fast as you can. Make a real scene. This accomplishes two things. It is an element of surprise for the attacker who wants a willing, passive victim, and yelling actually forces you to breathe. If you don’t yell, you will hold your breath and get weak at a time when you need to be strong.
    To protect yourself in your home:
    • Have a home invasion plan. You probably have a plan for escaping your home if there is a fire. But does your family have a plan if someone breaks in?
    • If someone breaks in, dial 911 immediately. Keep your cell phone on your nightstand at night. If the phone lines have been compromised, you have a second line of communication within immediate reach.
    • Invest in the best locks, doors, and alarm system for your home. This is not the place to scrimp and save money.
    • Never enter your home if the door is open and you know you closed it when you left. Leave and call the police immediately.
    • Do not indicate the number of people in your family or that you are not at home on your answering machine or voice mail. Record a simple message in a male voice saying, “Thank you for calling. Please leave a message.” Someone does not need to know that there are children in the home, that you live alone, or that you are on vacation.
    After the lecture, we practiced various defense moves and learned how to get out of different holds that an attacker might use on us. We learned so many things that night that it is impossible for me to share them all here.

During the ride home, we agreed that every woman should be required to take this class once a year. It will now be an annual event for us. And we are going to insist that every woman we know and every woman that she knows comes with us!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cleaned up the bullet points for you.
    God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak.
    Unfortunantly, he gave us 2 eyes and 10 fingers, which explains the problems we get on the internet.~Zoran

Zoran "Z-Rex" Sevic | My Facebook | My YouTube Channel | Where I Teach |
    Like a T-Rex with longer arms

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Z-Rex For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (04-13-2007),thedan (04-13-2007)

Thanks

Since its so much info, Id suggest editing the OP to reflect it...otherwise its gibberish
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I think the majority of courses of this nature candy coat things a little bit. I belive they should have matierals such as photos of attack victims, gunshot wounds and knife wounds, as well as the trauma cased by blunt weapons and keep the ugly nature of violence at the core of things. This type of approach can prep a person for what is out there and drive home the ideals that escape is the best option when it is available and defending is not pretty, expect blood and a sense of hyper-reality caused by adrenalin and fear (aka combat stress) and intensive work with "weapons of oppurtunity" such as pens, car keys high heels and so on.
    Just my 2 cents.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RamsHead For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (04-15-2007)

Thanks

First, I think it's difficult for men to teach these courses without a woman to help. Kind of like asking the Sheep dog how the sheep feel about being targets, they can't relate emotionally.

Second, I think many martial arts schools are not qualified to teach womens self defense. A school witha focus on say sport or competitions won't offer as much crossover help when a women is confronted by some large dude somewhere. In the article, the police department put it on, and I mostly think martial arts schools that want to do this should hook up with the local police. The police understand how the assault went down, I think many martial arts schools are missing that key bit of data.

THe article touched on firearms and pepper spray. Weapons area good thing to help even out the odds.

What it didn't say, and I think needs to be covered in self defense courses, is that women need to decide ahead of time what they are willing to do. They have toin their mind decide they are willing to break, shoot, maim, or kill if necessary. You can't decide at the time of the assault how hard you plan to fight.

I agree with Celtic that self defense and self awareness should be more frequent.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to J-squared For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J-squared View Post
    First, I think it's difficult for men to teach these courses without a woman to help. Kind of like asking the Sheep dog how the sheep feel about being targets, they can't relate emotionally.
    Second, I think many martial arts schools are not qualified to teach women’s self defense.

Well,
    I’m glad the article was put up, but it was an article.

Most women do NOT want to train is self-defense. PERIOD!

Mr. Parker said that after attempting to address that market. I say that after noticing all who market to it, fail.

And when I was going to do a project with full contact woman’s champion Gracialas, she said that.

The only way she, a WORLD CHAMPION, could get women to attend her classes was to:

1. Market the “get in shape” paradigm
    2. And market the “lose weight” paradigm
    3. And market the “look sexier” paradigm

So Gracialas appealed to all there of those marketing master keys, even appearing nude in Playboy magazine, showing that women in the martial arts can be real sexy too.

Now some will argue with me and say, “Look at Taebo and Billy Blanks”.

So what? He appeals to the same above markets with his “picked” sexy women and picked sexy men.

So all my marketing, books, and DVD’s are aimed directly at the male macho mind. Funny how that works.

The concept is, “sell hamburgers to the starving crowd”.

©Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Who had to go out and find that magazine and look at the pictures of Gracialas.

Thanks

I agree with Celtic that self defense and self awareness should be more frequent.
    Well,

It isn't in the real world.

And those that it should be important to will find what they want.

The rest will continue sticking their heads into the sand and hoping daddy, or boy friend or their husband, or the police office will protect them.

That's the way it really is.

Most of them do not want to believe that "shxt happens" and depending on someone else when "shxt happens" is not normally possible. When someone looks to someone else for help in that type of situation, then it's really too late.

Help first comes from the inside out.

Ps. One of my criteria for dating, back in the old days, was that they (the lady?) had to be capable of taking care of herself also. Most of the ladies I dated could fight and did fight. I guess that just makes me weird?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (04-15-2007),kwanli (04-19-2007),thedan (04-19-2007)

Thanks

... I think many martial arts schools are not qualified to teach womens self defense. ... self defense and self awareness should be more frequent.

THe article touched on firearms and pepper spray. Weapons area good thing to help even out the odds.
    Weapons require as much training and a lot more forethought to carry and use. They should not be taught as part of a half day rape prevention course. In fact, I'm not in favor of half day thumpin' courses any how.

I think the sport and "do" classes have no place teaching any reality courses to any one. And the "realistic" schools are missing the boat on this issue. I think that the first part of a carriculum should be a short (@ 3 mo.) CQC course loosly based on the principles and concepts of your system. This is where the groin strikes, claws and other "dirty" tactics should be taught. Ground them in awareness and tactics. Don't try to perfect their moves, just make it simple and effective, and brutal as you can. Later, sign them up for the full course and clean up their moves then. And give them some better tools than heel palm claws and nut crackers that might not get it done.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thedan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Lots of good points and insights.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

I think that the first part of a curriculum should be a short (@ 3 mo.) CQC course loosely based on the principles and concepts of your system. This is where the groin strikes, claws and other "dirty" tactics should be taught. Ground them in awareness and tactics. Don't try to perfect their moves, just make it simple and effective, and brutal as you can. Later, sign them up for the full course and clean up their moves then. And give them some better tools than heel palm claws and nut crackers that might not get it done. Dan C

Dan,
    I agree with you, but it ain’t going to happen.

One time, many many years ago I attempted to get police support for a woman’s self-defense course. They would NOT support it because if they did, they would then be liable.

And if you teach down and dirty, then you will be liable.

And if they don’t have the attitude then no matter what you teach them won’t work.

Which is the same for anyone regardless of sex preferred.

Two months ago this real driven lady came in for training. Her business partner (she works for the US government) had been shot and killed in front of her. Not knowing what to do she turned and ran like hell. She lived. He died.

She never even made it through the intro course.

NOW, the question is, why not? Presupposing that her trainer’s are amongst the best trainers in the world, and they taught her isomorphically towards her fears and the tools to give her control?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

thedan (04-16-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    ... if you teach down and dirty, then you will be liable.
    Liability is a huge issue these days. However, a lot of CQC courses manage to stay in business. And you'd be no less liable as a Kenpo school drilling claws in your basics than as a school that teaches that for survival, then offers to train you in something better and less destructive. But, you're right. It ain't gonna happen too often these days.

And if they don’t have the attitude then no matter what you teach them won’t work. ...
    never even made it through the intro course. ... why not? Presupposing that her trainer’s are amongst the best trainers in the world, and they taught her isomorphically towards her fears and the tools to give her control?
    Some people just don't want to hear that they will have to harm someone violently to save their own life. Women, by their basic nature, are mostly this way. More men (the American Castrati) are taking this attitude these days as well. The woman you talked about apparently couldn't make this leap into reality. Some do after being victimized, and can be very dangerouse to mess with.

I've heard that a man will decide to kill you quicker, and just as quickly change his mind. Women generally take more before deciding to kill. But, once they have made their mind are much more likely to follow through. (My source was talking to some cops about murders. We used to have some interesting conversations in training and waiting outside the ER. I'm a reservoir of semi-useless information from those experiences.) Maybe you could comment on that, Dr. L

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    I've heard that a man will decide to kill you quicker, and just as quickly change his mind. Women generally take more before deciding to kill. But, once they have made their mind are much more likely to follow through. (My source was talking to some cops about murders. We used to have some interesting conversations in training and waiting outside the ER. I'm a reservoir of semi-useless information from those experiences.) Maybe you could comment on that, Dr. L .Dan C
    Well,
    According to Massad Ayoob, it does take more to get a woman to that edge.

But all you got to do is threaten their child, and they'll gut 'em.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

20. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

thedan (04-17-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

A couple of 'thinking points' for you...

We've talked about how many women won't take self-defense courses, and how many of those that do start them rarely finish them. I've heard a lot about their mindsets or whatever...

...but I'd challenge you that this is more a cultural/society issue than it really is a true issue with women in general.

How many of you have worked with women from countries that are combat zones? Or even just remote areas where they are more often forced to 'take care of themselves'?

I've known a number of women from these kinds of backgrounds who were every bit as viscious as most men I've known. Even combat soldiers.

In a 'kinda' response to Dr Tourrette's comment about the lady who had seen someone shot in front of her but was still unable to commit to the self defense course, I'd say that she didn't last because even given what she had been through, she still wasn't able to make the emotional leap to 'allow herself' to become violent when needed. She'd been raised from birth being told that women/girls 'just don't do that'. And getting past all those years of conditioning is impossible for many women...and the older we are, the greater difficulty we all have in overcoming that kind of conditioning.

Women raised in different environments don't have those same mental blocks...and can be just as effective and viscious as any man in that time frame.

Just my thoughts at least.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenpo-Owl For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (04-18-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo-Owl View Post
    ...but I'd challenge you that this is more a cultural/society issue than it really is a true issue with women in general.

How many of you have worked with women from countries that are combat zones? Or even just remote areas where they are more often forced to 'take care of themselves'? I've known a number of women from these kinds of backgrounds who were every bit as viscious as most men I've known. Even combat soldiers.

...getting past all those years of conditioning is impossible for many women...

Women raised in different environments don't have those same mental blocks...and can be just as effective and viscious as any man in that time frame.
    You raise some good points, but your conclusions are wrong if you are ruleing out nature.

Historically women have taken up arms in defense of their families, themselves, and their countries. Our own short history bears this out. But the primary role of defense in virtually all societies is with the men. Women are less drawn to combative training by their nature. Even in the societies you talk about, combat and defense is primarily a male domain.

Social mores and circumstances may drive women to arms, and they can be as or more visciouse than men. Conversely, look at todays American Castrati, men so socialized with politically correctness they squeel and piss themselves at the thought of self defense or defending their families. So I agree that socialization can be, and is, a major factor. I just don't think it is the whole picture.

I'm no psychologist, but there are some things that are just common to our humanity, common knowlege, and common sense. Women and men are different, no matter what they are trying to teach in the public fool system these days. And this is one of the big differnces- men and women "fight" differently. As a broad generalization, men are more physical by nature. That is why more men than women are drawn to the martial arts.

Dan C

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thedan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

We periodically run a WSD class, and we spend a significant amount of time working with them to get them to understand that a threat on their life and well-being IS a threat to their children. "What have you got to live for? Why do you deserve to live another day?" we start with. It is amazing how many people (not just women) have trouble answering those questions! Once one of them comes up with "my kids need me" then they all get it suddenly.

Here is some video from a class (posted before, you may have seen this already)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYDtmR_lbhg

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo-Owl View Post
    A couple of 'thinking points' for you...

In a 'kinda' response to Dr Tourrette's comment about the lady who had seen someone shot in front of her but was still unable to commit to the self defense course, I'd say that she didn't last because even given what she had been through, she still wasn't able to make the emotional leap to 'allow herself' to become violent when needed. She'd been raised from birth being told that women/girls 'just don't do that'. And getting past all those years of conditioning is impossible for many women...and the older we are, the greater difficulty we all have in overcoming that kind of conditioning.

Just my thoughts at least.
    I loved your reply.
    And I do agree with you, and I'm sure that many disagree with both of us.
    It's a great world, No?
    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    We periodically run a WSD class, Once one of them comes up with "my kids need me" then they all get it suddenly.
    That was GREAT Dan.

You got to a woman's core belief (one of them at least) "my kids need me", and now they will be motivated.

Again, Massad Ayoob really did a great job explaining that paradigm in his book.

I suggest everyone read it so I don't come across as a "know it all", once again.

Sincerely,
    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hello,
    My name is Beth I've been a martial artist for about 10 years now and this is the first time I've posted. I had to respond to this post, you are so right on.

>>The rest will continue sticking their heads into the sand and hoping daddy, or boy friend or their husband, or the police office will protect them.

I've trained my neice in the past some basic techniques to keep her safe, one of which was how to push someone off their feet.
    On Easter she invited her boyfriend to meet her family for the first time. He, being a jerk showed up late and tipsy, she got mad.
    As he was sniveling for forgiveness outside their front door she told him to shut up and leave they were done for. He whined about his deep love for her, she said leave again.
    Keep in mind my neice weighs about 100 lbs. soaking wet, her beau is 6 foot and a bodybuilder.
    He didn't leave, and she pushed him lifting him off his feet and into the front door knocking the whole wall. He, a bit more sober now, amd shocked, left without any more hassle.
    My neice didn't ask for daddy who was there, or anybody else to help her she took care of what she needed to do and got the drunk looser to go away.

What's really neat is how her family reacted to it. They saw her power to take care of the situation and respect her for doing it.

>>Help first comes from the inside out.

Amen!

Ps. One of my criteria for dating, back in the old days, was that they (the lady?) had to be capable of taking care of herself also. Most of the ladies I dated could fight and did fight. I guess that just makes me weird?

Depends on if you want a partner or a pet.
    Kwan Li

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwanli For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (04-20-2007),thedan (04-19-2007)

Thanks

Welcome to the active forum. Love your avatar, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanli View Post
    Depends on if you want a partner or a pet.
    I had a long post regarding the statement about Dr L's requirements for dating. The computer dumped it, and I was going to try again. But you pretty much summed up my reply in one succinct statement. Priceless, and right on the money.

Dan C

32. The Following User Says Thank You to thedan For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (04-20-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links