Thread: Ali's right hand punch.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,335 Posts

Default Ali's right hand punch.

Dear Kenpo brothers and sisters:

Recently I've had the great pleasure and honor of meeting Roger Wakefield who spent years as a pro boxer, street fighter, and professional boxing referre and coach. Roger lives in Wisconsin and is a personal friend of M. Ali. Recently at a insurance seminar he hosted at his home I asked him to show me the "secret" of Ali's phantom right hand punch. For those of you who are boxing fans you know what I'm talking about.

Roger looked at my straight right hand to a his body bag and made a couple of comments/suggestions to me that I'd likke to pass on to the forum. Most of us have learned to throw a right hand by keeping the elbow in tight and let body mechanics take over as we extend the fist towards our opponent and turn the fist over. Ali's right hand is more of a hybrid between a straight right and a hook. Ali extends his shoulder just a bit as he comes across. The shoulder extension is coupled with a twist of the body and augmented with the planting of his lead foot which results ina strike that utilyzes the complete body. Play around with this concept on a body bag and you'll know what I'm talking about. When I tried the strike on a bag that had a "rebound" the bag came straight back at me VS. rebounding at an angle when I threw my "standard" right hand.

See what you can do with this punch and I'll try to provide more details if I can. Nest month Roger is showing me Mike Tyson's uppercut. I can't wait to play some more!

Take care and God bless you all!

Nelson

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nelson For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (03-22-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links