Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenposoldier01

Thread: How do you practice?

Thanks

Default How do you practice?

Iím sure everyone here practices thatís a given. But how do you practice, for instance when working on techniques will you take one and work that one many times? Or will you work a group of techís in a family grouping, or do you pick apart one tech and work say the first two strikes in that tech? Then the next two or three till you have worked all of the tech.

Same with kicks do you spend a lot of time on one kick or do you work all of your kicks both legs?

Once you list how you practice please explain why that way works best for you.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: How do you practice?

Personally my workouts vary quite a bit, depending on what I am specifically working on. Usually I'll start with a quick run (about 1 mile) then some situps and pushups. From there I do a lot of stretching, both on the ground and using the bar.

If I'm focusing a lot on cardio that day, then I'll do all 30 techniques in my belt all-out, 2 3 or 5 at a time. Do this 2 or 3 times, then go through forms.

If I'm working on kicks and/or stances, I'll break out all arm movement from each technique and just do the lower body...and do some work on the pads and heavy bag with kicks.

If I'm working detail and movement, I usually will do each of the 30 techniques broken down to 1 move at a time. Each move is done all-out and using the mirrors to keep a close eye on my movement. If I don't like the way I did a particular piece, I go back and do it again...and again and again until it's right.

This is just a couple examples...if I am really trying to get better at something I'll do a similar workout many times per week, otherwise I usually try to mix it up a bit. The most important thing for me is to set a goal for the day, and stick to the plan. Otherwise I'm not as focused in my workouts and accomplish less than I want to.
    All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small. - Lao Tzu

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I go over my forms everyday, soon to add sets.
    I take one technique a day and do it over and over again. Then in class I take the techniques I've been working, and try it out on bodies.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

i mix it up a lot... i do every thing you talked about and just change it up each time.

sometimes i will picke 1 or 2 techniques and pick them apart. other times i will work on 8 or 10..

sometime i will just run forms and sets to see what i can improve on ..
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

My answer is pretty much the same as tiktoks. It all depends on what I'm working on. I do typically warm up by going through forms slowly, to get the kinks worked out.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I also try to vary my practice time, sometimes focusing on all of the sets I know or the forms, or basics. I almost always start off all of my practices by going through all of the forms I've learned so far (short 1 - long 3) at about half speed, focusing on timing, stances, targeting, etc.

When I am working on techniques, I will usually start with the techs I know on the belt I'm working toward and run them at least 10 times each. The first 5 times will be step-by-step slowly to focus on proper movement, delivery, etc. If I'm feeling good about how that is going I will speed up over the next 5 times to finish the last two or three at the top speed I can manage without sacrificing form. If I'm not satisfied with how it is going I'll add reps. Often there will be a small portion of a tech that I struggle with, and I will take that segment and do it over and over until it starts to work for me, then will work it back into the full tech.

After I work through my current material I will often pick out one or two belts' worth of older material and run those techs. Usually I'll only run them through about 5 or 6 times, with a couple of slow run throughs and then adding speed.

I have found that this works very well for me. The slow run throughs help me maintain good form and build muscle memory. Adding speed in increments helps me spot weak areas, especially with my balance and stances so that I can focus on improving those areas. Doing a tech 10-20 times in a row helps me to focus on that tech, but I don't stick with one tech to the point where I lose focus and get sloppy.

Thanks

This thread died out too fast, Iím sure others have something they can add?
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

its always hard to find time so i plan ahead with my instructor based on wut i need to work on. Usually i warm up with basics and on to strikes and kicks slow or steady. then ill choose a belt color of the day and work it slow 7 times then 3 times fast and with power and after each tech i do pushups spuats or situps whatever needs to be dne. next day forms next just combos bag work mitt work or mook jung work then sparring. Also i love to read up on terms each day to brush up on my kenponese.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmagill007 For This Useful Post:

jdinca (11-16-2014),KenpoChanger (11-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 850 Posts

I practice functionally.

Many people practice their Alternating Maces, for instance, like this:

I train it like this:

This is how most do Captured Twigs

This is how I do it

Here's the difference between most people's Clutching Feathers and mine...

You get the idea.

Good luck training.

Thanks

Some people train like this

I dont normally record myself but some people caught me working on torque while doing Alternating Maces so this is how I train...
    KenpoChanger likes this.
    ~Sami Ibrahim

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenposoldier01 For This Useful Post:

KenpoChanger (11-17-2014)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links