Thread: Belt testing outside the normal way.

Thanks

Default Belt testing outside the normal way.

My instructor told us the story of how he was tested for his 3rd Black and how it came as quite a shock to him in the way he was tested. I donít want to pass his story on as this may be a private matter for him but I will say Mr. Parker tested him and it was not the normal test as I would expect.

Have you ever tested in a way that was outside the norm with a judge or group of judges calling out techís, forms, and sets? Or at lest thatís all I know of testing, my instructor calling out what to do then he watches us and grades us. Thatís all I have to go on for this instance.

But have you ever tested kind of on the spot or in a non normal setting or way mostly looking for higher ranking tests but I am interested in hearing all stories from any belt level.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemi For This Useful Post:

Brother John (02-20-2007),Martin Seck (02-20-2007)

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Default Re: Belt testing outside the normal way.

I know that the normal way of testing for higher ranks is performing Kata,techniques and oral questions. Here is our take on awarding the higher Ranks. We don't believe that just learning more katas and a few more techniques is all there should be to it. We look more to what you have contributed back to the kenpo system. How much have you learned and added to what you were origonally taught? Have you created new techniques? Have you added pressure points and nerve centers to your system? Have you found a better way to teach? Have you went out and learned about other systems? Have you researched the other Kenpo Systems and compared?
    We think these are what the higher ranks should be awarded for. Your contributions back to your Kenpo system. That is what we look for.

Again that is only our way of awarding higher rank. Right or wrong.

I am Most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Can't be any stranger than how Vic told me Mr. Parker awarde him his 4th. LOL.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

From greenbelt onwards, our school uses a "fight test" system.

Basically, the student stands in the middle of a circle of other students, whether they are other Kenpo students, Kickboxers, MMA dudes, whatever. Then our head instructor calls out one of the attackers and the student in the middle must defend himself against a full-contact attack, or group of attackers. I remember my 3rd brown test, I took a good punch in the nose from one of our kickboxers and I bled all over the place.

Testing at our school is done with full-contact attacks as street-real as possible. I actually just passed my 2nd Brown test (weapons belt) on Jan 27th.

The fight test system is unique to our school I think...unless any other school uses it, I'm unaware of that. It's hard, realistic, but pretty fun as well
    "Courage, my friends. 'Tis not too late to build a better world." - Tommy Douglas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hemi View Post
    Have you ever tested in a way that was outside the norm with a judge or group of judges calling out techís, forms, and sets? Or at lest thatís all I know of testing, my instructor calling out what to do then he watches us and grades us. Thatís all I have to go on for this instance.
    Yes.
    My instructor gave me private lessons. One day he told me to come a little early. He started the class off pretty briskly, more physical than usual....but nothing that'd raise your eyebrows. He went through ALL the basics and then through every belt level, through all the material. It turned out to last way longer than usual too. The physically demanding part of it lasted all the way through as well. Then when he would have usually bowed me out he had me kneel, went into the other room and came out with my new belt and a smile.
    I had NO idea I was testing until it was all over.
    It was a very cool experience though.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

hemi (05-24-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brivolution View Post
    From greenbelt onwards, our school uses a "fight test" system.

Basically, the student stands in the middle of a circle of other students, whether they are other Kenpo students, Kickboxers, MMA dudes, whatever. Then our head instructor calls out one of the attackers and the student in the middle must defend himself against a full-contact attack, or group of attackers. I remember my 3rd brown test, I took a good punch in the nose from one of our kickboxers and I bled all over the place.

Testing at our school is done with full-contact attacks as street-real as possible. I actually just passed my 2nd Brown test (weapons belt) on Jan 27th.

The fight test system is unique to our school I think...unless any other school uses it, I'm unaware of that. It's hard, realistic, but pretty fun as well
    We just do that as a drill.

Congratulations on earning your 2nd Brown!! Outstanding!!

"It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

Thanks

I had a test once that I did not know I was being tested. About half way throught it you figure it out. Was a great challenge.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links