Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What art did you come from originally?

Thanks

Default What art did you come from originally?

I saw a thread that is similar to this on MT and it got me thinking...

What art did you folks start in? If it was something other than Kenpo/Kempo what made you change?

I started in TKD, switched to Shaolin Kempo and finally to Kara-Ho Kempo where I have been since 1993 roughly.

As for why I changed- In TKD my teacher and then girlfriend hooked up.

In Shaolin Kempo my instructor and a few of us students wanted to find a system that came directly through Professor Chow so we applied and were accepted into Kara-Ho.

How about you folks?
    The above is just my opinion.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: What art did you come from originally?

Started in TKD back in the early 80's as a college course. At the time all I wanted to do was study karate, didn't know the difference. Later on moved on to Shudokan karate and then settled into Kempo Jujutsu. Even though I call the system American Kempo Jujutsu it's from a Okinawan background.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

My Martial Arts career started out at age 12, taking Jukido Juijitsu at the local YMCA when I was a hyperactive Middle School student... I moved on to a brief stint of Okinawan Karate (Uechi-Ryu I believe) before my family relocated. I Did some Tracy Kenpo as a High School under-classman... Later, I did some Bujinkan down in the Baltimore area in my early 20's. My longest stay so far was training in Tang Soo Do 1996 up until 2003 (as time allowed) acheiving 2nd Brown (3rd Gup). In 2003, I was introduced to Modern Arnis by a friend and co-worker (Hi, Chad!)...

In February, I'll turn 40... and I'm presently deep in the midst of planning my Martial Arts career for the next 40. Training done with and older, and hopefuly somewhat wiser, point of view than I've used in the past 40...

Kenpo figures prominently in the next 40... with Modern Arnis (FMA's), and Jeet Kune Do all figuring into the plan. I also have a real interest in learning authentic Shaolin Juan Fa...

Great idea for a thread by the way, James! Thanks!

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew
    Andrew M. Goodwin - Student of the arts
    Middletown, DE

Blue Belt in Kenpo (5/12)
    9th Kyu in Budo Taijutsu (5/12)
    2nd Brown in TSD (8/98)

Thanks

Kempojujutsu: Thanks for the post! Okinawa has given us MUCH in the way of martial arts.

Andrew, you have a pretty Martially diverse history. Shaolin Chuan Fa? Or Juan Fa?

I have a buddy who is a pretty hard-core Tang-Soo-Do guy and ex Green Beret. I am trying to pull him into the kempo/Kenpo web but he is pretty set in his ways...

Have a great night!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Chinese Kenpo (Parker's) when I was twelve...

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Started my MA journey in Ki Do Ryu Ju Jitsu at age 4. Stayed with that until I went off to college at 17. Started training in Chung Do Kwan TKD and Aikido within about a week of each other. I got college credits for the TKD, plus I worked in the gym for work study. So I got paid for being in the gym training and college credits. It was the jackpot to me. TKD lasted until graduation. After about a year of Aikido I started to learn Iaido. I stayed with Aikido and Iaido from that time until 31. During my time with Aikido & Iaido I piked up Aiki-Ken & Aiki-Jo as well as Aiki-Jitsu. About a year and a half ago I tried out Hung Gar Kung Fu. It would have been better if they were not exposed as a McDojo.
    After numerous elbow and shoulder injuries I took some time off. I had tears in my MCL in my elbow and was lucky over time I had not torn the muscle completely away. I finally got it through my thick head that continuing to train at the level I was at in Aikido would cause permanent injury. That said, I still tried to go back and ended up with permanent nerve damage in my elbow. I took some more time off and went stir crazy. I started to read about Ed Parker and found that his art seemed to fill holes I saw in others that I trained in. I loved the academia aspect of it as well. Loved the science and thought processes it involved. Then I found my EPAK instructor and I'm forever grateful for finding such a wonderful group of persons.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

Ronin6- Very interesting! What branch of Aikido? I was fortunate to train in Aikido for a about a year and a half. Also, Grandmaster Kuoha of Kara-Ho Kempo trained with Shihan John Damian for many years and we even have a few Aikido techniques in our system today. We also teach the KI principles of Tohei Sensei and it has been invaluable in our training.

Great stuff- Have you ever read "Angry White Pajamas"?

Thanks

1976 - Shotokan
    1980 - Moon Moo Kwan
    1984 - American Kenpo
    1986 - Sanuces Ryu (Moses Powell)
    1988 - Moo Duk Kwan / Hapkido
    1996 - Choy Lay Fut
    Current - American Kenpo & Moo Duk Kwan (never stopped these two)

American Kenpo, Moo Duk Kwan and Hapkido I earned at least 2nd black, the rest were for shorter time peroids.

My family moved allot when I was growing up so I had the benefit to meet and train in different systems and teachers.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

I started with Kenpo when I was 11 (almost 12). I trained at a once a week school for about 4 years.

Then I took a year off. (We moved) So I went through a series of so-so schools until I was found by a Tracy instructor, Ray Arquilla, where I was for two years.

I left there for a year or so until I went to Bob Lyles for another year and a half or so. Then I moved for college and found a school, but it didn't suit me, so I just took the time off.

I went to some other schools, (ones I'd be embarrassed to acknowledge) until I found Darryl Liner's school where I went for a year and a half. Took off six years to have kids, thought I was done with kenpo, then realized that without kenpo I felt like a frumpy ol' mom. Went back for 4 1/2 years, then left to start my own school with my friend a few months ago.

So.........all kenpo; all the time.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

started in Kodenkan Jui Jitsu (14 - 19 years old)
    Shaolin Kempo (19 - 22)
    Wu Shu (22 - 23)
    23 - 30 a little TKD, Kickboxing, Jui Jitsu & time off
    EPAK (31 - Present... I am 34 now)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    Shaolin Chuan Fa? Or Juan Fa?
    My apologies, james... it was late when I posted...

I believe Chuan Fa would be the correct spelling...

This is a very interesting thread thus far!

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew
    Andrew M. Goodwin - Student of the arts
    Middletown, DE

Blue Belt in Kenpo (5/12)
    9th Kyu in Budo Taijutsu (5/12)
    2nd Brown in TSD (8/98)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,139 Times in 1,484 Posts

I started in Tracy kenpo during Junior High School and High School.

In college I got interested in capoeira, and basically devoted the next 8 or so years to its study, even moving to San Francisco to be closer to most of the good teachers in the US.

Then I got interested in Chinese martial arts, and have been studying under a couple different teachers for the last 9 years or so, in Tibetan White Crane, Tai Chi Chuan, some Shaolin influences, and Wing Chun.

Now, I have recently begun retraining my Tracy kenpo with Ted Sumner in San Jose. After so many years only tangently connected to it, I wanted to return and strengthen it again.

I still train with my kung fu sifu, and try to keep a loose connection with my capoeira group.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I studied TKD as a kid until I got into football. Funny how TKD seems to be a "gateway" style for a lot of folks as kids until they learn more about martial arts..... Anyway, I regained an interest in martial arts while in the service and found out my combatives instructor was into Kenpo. I didn't get too far in my training though because of Desert Storm. When I got out I wanted to pursue Kenpo, but couldn't find a school. I didn't want to study TKD so instead I studied Jiu-Jitsu and some kick boxing under Dewit Davis of Midori Yama Budokai. Finally, I found my current Kenpo instructor, Wade Wilbourn, when I moved to Middle Georgia and have been with him for about the last 8 years. There ya go.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Ronin6- Very interesting! What branch of Aikido? I was fortunate to train in Aikido for a about a year and a half. Also, Grandmaster Kuoha of Kara-Ho Kempo trained with Shihan John Damian for many years and we even have a few Aikido techniques in our system today. We also teach the KI principles of Tohei Sensei and it has been invaluable in our training.

Great stuff- Have you ever read "Angry White Pajamas"?
    Well my instrustor was an uechi deshi under TK Chiba Shihan (San Diego Aikikai) as well as M. Nakazona Shihan. These men were both 1st gen. uechi deshi under O'Sensei. He also trained under M. Saito Shihan. So the blend is very Chiba & Saito. Well, the weapons are more Saito. In any event Chiba is known for being very hard. After leaving my first instructor I was fortunate to train under Toyoda Shihan. After his passing I moved from Aikido Association of America to United States Aikido Federation. I studied with D. Halprin Shiodin & M. Kanai Shihan. While Living in Japan I trained at Hombu dojo. I went to every morning class of M. Ueshiba's (Doshu). Night classes I had the privilege to train under and with many of O'Sensei's original students as well as the next generation under K. Ueshiba and M. Ueshiba.

I had no idea the Kara-ho had Aikido techniques built in. I always seem to find places to insert Aikido in my EPAK techniques. If you have any clips or info to share on Kara-Ho, I'd love to read more.

Thanks

Ronin- W O W !

Awesome Aikido resume. Shihan John Damian (Imua Ki Aikido) was with the San Diego Aikikai back in the day and he was a fellow police officer with Grandmaster Kuoha. We only have a few Aikido based techniques and they are based on Irimi Nage (hope I got that right as we do not use the Japanese terminology)

In another life I was or would be an Aikidoka...

Chiba Sensei is AWESOME and VERY tough. A friend of mine and former Kara-Ho instructor trained with him and he was trying to get into a Kenshusei (SP?) program, he has since moved to Japan to study.

Great stuff Ronin6 and everyone else who has chimed in, thanks for sharing!

James
    P.S. There is nothing wrong with Juan Fa, I had just not heard of it before

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Ronin- W O W !

Awesome Aikido resume. Shihan John Damian (Imua Ki Aikido) was with the San Diego Aikikai back in the day and he was a fellow police officer with Grandmaster Kuoha. We only have a few Aikido based techniques and they are based on Irimi Nage (hope I got that right as we do not use the Japanese terminology)

In another life I was or would be an Aikidoka...

Chiba Sensei is AWESOME and VERY tough. A friend of mine and former Kara-Ho instructor trained with him and he was trying to get into a Kenshusei (SP?) program, he has since moved to Japan to study.

Great stuff Ronin6 and everyone else who has chimed in, thanks for sharing!

James
    P.S. There is nothing wrong with Juan Fa, I had just not heard of it before
    James,

Thank you. I'm really the thankful one as I was blessed with oppertity to train with such aikidoka. Do you have any info on your style of Kempo online? I'd like to read more about it. Good old irimi nage. Great techniques and they require a great deal of concentration to blend properly. I see opeing for that and qould love to take it, but it can be an unkind technique if you've never had it done to you. I try to not use those sorts of techniques with my fellow kenpoists. If you familiar sumi otoshi and kote gaeshi are also ones I find easy while training. Another that I resist the urge is nikyo which I can get on most grabs...

Thanks

Ronin6- Definitely blessed. As for Kara-Ho if you are ever on Martial Talk there is quite a bit of info. on Kara-Ho and posts from Grandmaster Kuoha himself.

I feel a bit guilty saying this because I am 100% dedicated to Kara-Ho Kempo but I feel that Aikido is the ultimate martial art...I have attacked those who could not be struck (by me at least), I have grabbed those who could not be constrained (again by me at least), it sounds weird but in my opinion those who have mastered Aikido are as close to Jedi mythical warriors as one can get

I am a scientific person and a realist but I have trained with Aikidoka who DESTROYED my perception of what self defense is.

Keep one point
    Relax completely
    Weight underside
    Extend KI

Get a grasp on these and the martial arts world turns upside-down, trust me I been there.

Cheers!

Thanks

Started in Isshin-ryu when I was in Junior high, had about 4 years in, and then discovered girls....

In college I studied Goju-ryu, then realized that it was being prioritized somewhere below academics and girls..... Actually it was just prioritized below girls.

After college, I studied kajukenbo, then I moved.

I studied BJJ, then I moved.

I studied more kajukenbo and Serrada escrima, then I moved.

Then I studied a variant of Tracy Kenpo, and found a home.

After 8 years of studying kenpo, I searched out and instructor for Pekiti-Tirsia Kali, and thats where I am today, a Kenpo/Kali guy studying from two different instructors.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I started in Tracy's Kenpo, and in the late 80's early 90's migrated to EPAK.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Cool Re: What art did you come from originally?

started tracy kenpo 1984-86
    ed parker kenpo 1986-present
    modern arnis 1997-present
    jeet kune do 1994-present
    dabled in systema/bando for the last 4yrs.

later
    Jason Arnold
    CANADA
    there is always more room on the hard drive!
    Parker/Planas Lineage
    Presas/Hartman Arnis
    Hartsell/Irish JKD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links