View Poll Results: Will and eye strike disable your attacker?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, nobody can take an eye poke!

6 33.33%
  • Nope, I have seen plenty of Monty Python it won't work.

0 0%
  • Possibly, depends on many factors.

12 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye Strikes (CC's koolaid)

Thanks

Default Eye Strikes (CC's koolaid)

To go full old school and take some of CC's Koolaid ... let's just add Eye strikes in the polls.

Can an eye strike disable your opponent?
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Default Re: Eye Strikes (CC's koolaid)

Possible........depends on conditions.
    There is something called Aschner's phenomenom that can come into play.
    When there is compression of the eyeball, a series of events takes place that lead reduced output in the sinoatrial node in the heart. This can lead to bradycardia, asystole (no heart activity), or maybe death.
    This is an extreme result, because I believe prolonged compression of the eye would be needed.
    Ocular compression is used in shiatsu therapy to help relax, and lower blood pressure.
    Dr. Dave would have a better explanation.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

eye strikes and more eye strikes, lets face it an eyelash in the eye induces pain, a small gnat induces more pain, the eye is probably the most sensitive spot on our bodies, common sense says damage it and the conflict is over.. However just as important is positioning your attacker , implimenting a setup to enable you to execute any strike including one to the eye.. I have had it done to me and I have used it, lets just say in a country half way around the world in the late 60's, place called Viet Nam it worked for me, If you cant see and you are in that much pain your cant fight and the body also will go into shock if the eye is really damaged. Worked for me and I always look for a way to get there , saves a lot of energy and time, they have my vote

j.t. aka karatedude

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    To go full old school and take some of CC's Koolaid ... let's just add Eye strikes in the polls.

Can an eye strike disable your opponent?
    A glancing finger to the eye can stop someone momentarily, a gouge (we're drilling for grey-matter here) will normally disable someone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I love kool-aid! Grape is especially good with peanut butter sandwiches. lol

I suppose they could. I view eye strikes primarily as a method of distraction or to create an angle of obscurity for follow ups. I think it would take a .....special.... kind of person to really shove thier fingers in far enough to rip out the eye ball or go for "grey matter." LOL. Why do I feel like doing finger set one all of a sudden?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Just curiousity here, and not to be taken as a slam, but ... At what point in a self defense scenario do you justify an eye strike?

No offense intended to anyone... I just am kinda curious on everyone else's take on that particular feature.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86 View Post
    Just curiousity here, and not to be taken as a slam, but ... At what point in a self defense scenario do you justify an eye strike?

No offense intended to anyone... I just am kinda curious on everyone else's take on that particular feature.
    A man pulls a knife and threatens to kill your or your child you are holding in your arms.

The life of my children I would protect at any cost. However I may push the ex-wife in front of him ... just kidding

If someone wants to fight me, great we can end it hopefully with only bruised pride and ego and not to much physical damage. I have talked my way out of a fight more than once.

They pull a weapon on me ... hmmm ... They go down hard and fast with no mercy.

Just my opinion.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Me and you see "eye-to-eye" Martin. Pun intended. LOL

Most Kenpo techniques that serioiusly use eye strikes are against weapon attacks, especially ones involving guns. At least that's been my experience. Most of you know by now that I have no sympathy for any moron pulling a weapon on me or mine. They ask for whatever they get, including the cane and eyepatch they'll need the rest of their lives.... granted they're that lucky.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    At home, playing chess with a bust of Julius Caesar
    Thanks

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070123/...a_shark_attack

"SYDNEY, Australia - A diver escaped a 10-foot shark's attack by poking the animal in its eye after it had already chomped on his head once and was preparing for another bite, witnesses and officials said Tuesday."

I'd say eye attacks work.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I love kool-aid! Grape is especially good with peanut butter sandwiches. lol

I suppose they could. I view eye strikes primarily as a method of distraction or to create an angle of obscurity for follow ups. I think it would take a .....special.... kind of person to really shove thier fingers in far enough to rip out the eye ball or go for "grey matter." LOL. Why do I feel like doing finger set one all of a sudden?
    Just imagine you're putting black olives on your fingers like you did when you were a kid. Makes it much easier to deal with.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86 View Post

When it's a "your eye, or my life" situation. In that circumstance, it would be more than an eye that he would lose. Less than that, it's probably not a good idea...

Thanks

Now that DNA, AIDS, etc. come into play. How many of us would actually use strikes against the eyes?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    Now that DNA, AIDS, etc. come into play. How many of us would actually use strikes against the eyes?
    If the given circumstance above happened ... without hesitation.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

I'd have absolutely no problem with thrusting my kubotan in to them if the flow in the fight wen that way. Handy little weapon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    When it's a "your eye, or my life" situation. In that circumstance, it would be more than an eye that he would lose. Less than that, it's probably not a good idea...
    Like I said, cane and an eyepatch at the very least! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    Doesn't affect my decision at all. #1 I'd have to have an open wound on my finger for it to really matter #2 HIV can't survive in the open air anyway #3 If I'm defending myslef there's bound to be blood other than my own so it's an accepted risk anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur
    I'd have absolutely no problem with thrusting my kubotan in to them if the flow in the fight wen that way. Handy little weapon.
    You know....you're pretty cool for a "Voyager" fan. LOL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    I had one of those for a while ... then they banned them in FLA and it was liberated from me by a police officer.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    I had one of those for a while ... then they banned them in FLA and it was liberated from me by a police officer.
    Mine is always with me. It's just disguised as a green Sharpie or a Surefire E2D

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post
    Possible........depends on conditions.
    There is something called Aschner's phenomenom that can come into play.
    When there is compression of the eyeball, a series of events takes place that lead reduced output in the sinoatrial node in the heart. This can lead to bradycardia, asystole (no heart activity), or maybe death.
    This is an extreme result, because I believe prolonged compression of the eye would be needed.
    Ocular compression is used in shiatsu therapy to help relax, and lower blood pressure.
    Dr. Dave would have a better explanation.
    Wow how can I top that? Seriously I voted it depends. As posted by some I consider the eye gouge to be last resort whereas a finger whip can stun long enough to give an advantage.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I voted the mamby-pamby way, "Depends on many factors". Thing about eye strikes, it's exceedingly difficult to train them for reality (I know my training partners have always reacted poorly when I did it :P ) and as we all know, it's impossible to predict what will happen in a fight. Take these two factors together, and it makes ANY strike (not just eyes) an uncertainty.
    All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small. - Lao Tzu

Thanks

I've been bled on, puked on, pooped on so many times in my career that I think the attacker better be concerned about catching something from me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links