Thread: When the enemy attacks...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,335 Posts

Default When the enemy attacks...

Dear Kenpo brothers and sisters:

I ran across this quote in Mitsugi Saotome's book entitles "Aikido and the Harmony of Nature."

"When the enemy attacks, met him with the confidence of insight."

How important is confidence when you are encountering an enemy?
    What is false confidence?
    What is insight?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Nelson

Thanks

Default Re: When the enemy attacks...

Since my fiance loves watching and making me watch the new Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory movie I have a quote for you:

"You sure look confident and confidence is key!"

I totally agree with that. If you are ever in a fight you must look and be confident that you will win. If you are not confident you will sureley lose. False confidence is the rigidity with which the person maintains their pose of confidence and omnipotence (I just looked that up in the dictionary he he.) So you make yourself look confident but in the end you are not confident at all. Insight is where you understand the true nature of whatever. I.e. If you have insight in bracing lets say you really understand everything there is to know about how to brace, what it does, how to make it more effective, etc.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Dear Kenpo brothers and sisters:

I ran across this quote in Mitsugi Saotome's book entitles "Aikido and the Harmony of Nature."

"When the enemy attacks, met him with the confidence of insight."

How important is confidence when you are encountering an enemy?
    What is false confidence?
    What is insight?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Nelson
    Nelson,

Great question. I think that confidence in your ability is paramount. Without it you have already lost the battle. I believe that false confidence is under estimating your opponent. Again I feel that in doing this you have already lost. Insight, from my Aikido background, would most likely be defiend as the ability to blend with what your opponet gives you. In the end this is the true spirit of aiki. The ability to blend with your opponets energy and deal with the attack and be on your way. In the end they say to be in harmony with the world.

I had the privileage of attending a few of Shihan Saotome's seminairs. He is very insightful and he comes from a different time of Aikido. He was the last of O'Sensei's uechi deshi towards the end of O'Sensei's life. So, he saw Aikido from a different light then those deshi that came before him. It was more about harmony with the world and refining Aikido to be a way of life. Not to say that the other Shihan did not have this in mind but if you look at lets say Chiba Shihan you will see a great differeence. A much harder style of Aikido.

"If your opponent strikes with fire, counter with water, becoming completely fluid and free-flowing. Water, by its nature, never collides with or breaks against anything. On the contrary, it swallows up any attack harmlessly. "

"The Art of Peace."
    Morihei Ueshiba
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I do not consider confidence to be part of the equation at the time of a violent confrontation. Confidence in one's self is a positive behavioral attribute that one carries with them in their life, affecting all they do. It is largely an emotion and an attitude, albeit an important positive one.

I train to enter an engaged mindset when an enemy attacks. The term "attack the attack" applies to every level of being, not just the physical technique. I will out-intent them, out-violence them, and dominate them physically, mentally, and spiritually. The state of mind is emotionless, angry, with full commitment to take out those who have threatened what I consider my "peace". This is a dominating, carnivorous, predatory, alpha state of mind, no different than that of a US Marine fighting for his comrades. I believe this is an important state of mind, and it must be practiced. More importantly, it must be justified - use of the human weapon should be based one one's own internal codes, with pre-determined degrees of severity for given situations, an understanding of life, death, ethic, moral, legal, spiritual, and all other factors that must be considered when dealing with violence.

So, confidence is a life attribute, not an attribute in the fight. A skilled shooter goes through his day "confident" about his ability to handle a gun technically, and given all the positive psychologial attributes of character, integrity, etc, is "confident" in himself. When someone breaks into his house and mortally threatens his children, he is not "confident" when he aligns those rear and front sights. He is merely responding in a necessary and very aggressive form of protection.

My two cents anyway. Good topic.

Steven Brown
    UKF

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bujuts For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (03-31-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Thanks Gentlemen for your insights:!

From what I've read about Aikido the "spiral" seems to be the key to the proper response to aggression.

As far as having an agressive mindest to counter agression I can see where this could be problems if followed to the extreme. I believe a "no-mind" midset might be a better choice. Aggression can lead to anger which can be destructive and self defeating in combat. How many times have you seen a person run after an opponent only to "run into" a kick or punch. On the street it could be a knife or a gun. Chasing an unknown opponent down a dark alley would be an example as well. You never know what you'll run into when your emotions drive your responses.

I am not an Aikido person yet I can tell that it is the most advanced MA both mentally and physically. The mental concepts are a little mind boggling to me but I can see the value that resides within.

Thanks once again!

Nelson

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

The idea of mushin is universal in martial arts. The concept of having confidence is not something to be discarded. Without it there is no technique, no defense, no belief in your ability to defend yourself. Without that there is nothing. It may be a life attribute, but it is something that is to a point your backbone.
    As for Aikido being mind boggeling, it keeps you on your toes. It is more then a martial art. It is more a way of martial living. You are always learning from every interaction your have with everything in this world. The concept of Shoshin (Beginners Mind) is always there as we learn from everything and learning is continious.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    As far as having an agressive mindest to counter agression I can see where this could be problems if followed to the extreme. I believe a "no-mind" midset might be a better choice. Aggression can lead to anger which can be destructive and self defeating in combat. How many times have you seen a person run after an opponent only to "run into" a kick or punch. On the street it could be a knife or a gun. Chasing an unknown opponent down a dark alley would be an example as well.
    To clarify, an engaged state of mind does not mean bezerk. One must act decisively and strategically. As far as the "no-mind" concept associated by the "Do" practices, I agree that that is an ideal. But this is a state of mind that is rarely achievable by someone enduring true combat stress. Although an ideal we can all aspire to, its largely still the stuff of samurai movies, aesthetic training halls, and of well meaning martial academia operating living in conditions of relative peace, prosperity, and regional stability - most of us, myself included - not of pugilist combatants on the brink of life and limb.

Let us put ourselves in the shoes of a small woman fighting for her life or in the midst of rape prevention, of soldier under heavy fire, of a man bleeding and outnumbered in a bad neighborhood. Zen serenity is out, the stuff is hitting the fan, and its utter chaos. A fire in the gut, the will to survive, and a primordial state of mind is what in my opinion carries us through. This is where training is truly tested, and why learning how to get to this state of mind as a part of training is so important, in my opinion.

Interested to hear the thoughts of the forum on this. I hold the importance of mindset very high in my training, and find this a great topic.

Salute,

Steven Brown
    UKF

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bujuts For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (03-31-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I think that being confident comes from training properly. If you train like a fighter (combatant, etc.) you will have confidence in your ability and will be able to "make it happen." If you train like a twinky...SQUISH! You will fight like one too.

As for displaying confidence, it depends on the situation. The oldest treatise on warfare states that all warfare is based on deception. This being the case... Why show your opponent how strong you you are. Make him think you are weak and watch the look of total horror as he realizes he is overmatched!

Great topic...
    Regards,
    Walt

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Dear Kron:
    Nice reply to the topic under discussion!
    The only comment I would make is it is not ALWAYS the best idea to have an opponent think you are weak. Deterence comes from perception regardless if it is based on fact. If you look "bad" and tough enough you might avoid a fight. My second kenpo instructor was an awesome fighter but a terrible bouncer. He looked like a bank clerk! He got fired from a job because of all the butt kicking that he had to do. He never lost a fight but by his appearance he was weak.

When in combat and you are injured deception is the key to survival.
    You may want to front off a serious blow to deter your opponent from believing that he has got the best of you.

The "no mind" state of mind is not merely for samuri movies. It really works and works well. When your training has gotten you to the point of automatic reactions to a hostile threat you will not have time to be afraid.
    Afterwards yes, but not during the battle! I have been so afraid, by the way, that my knees knocked together!

When I taught womens self defense years ago I would teach the ladies the method of overcoming fear by invoking anger in order to react against an opponent. It's not the state of "no mind" but it's an distinct improvement over being weak and vulnerable.

When a student stays with his or her training long enough this state CAN be achieved.

Nelson

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

excellent points. ;-) While I do not walk around meekly, I will do eveything in my power to mislead an opponent should I get into something. That way my shying away is actually me reaching for a brick to crown someone...

Regards,
    Walt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

>"If your opponent strikes with fire, counter with water, becoming completely >fluid and free-flowing. Water, by its nature, never collides with or breaks >against anything. On the contrary, it swallows up any attack harmlessly. "

>"The Art of Peace."
    >Morihei Ueshiba

Did you know that "short" little Ueshiba was the number one bayonet fighter on the killing fields?

Did you know that Ueshiba did not get that "enlightenment" until he was in his mid 50's, AFTER being one of the meanest MF's in the world?

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Who loves all the aki jujitsu that Ueshiba did prior to 1939.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links