Thread: Training with a Jo

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,335 Posts

Default Training with a Jo

Dear Kenpo brothers and sisters:

How many of you train with a small stick on a regular basis?
    I've just recently incorporated stick training into my weekly workout schedule in addition to doing forms and excercises.

What a difference it has made in my level of fitness. I'm sore all of the time now! The stick I use is Jo sized, heavy and made from oak. I never cared for the Bo and consider it more of an anachronism than a modern combat weapon. Small stick techniques can be used with batons and improvised weapons such as umbrella's, tree branches, rolled up magazines, etc..

What sticks do you all use and how do you size them to fit your fancy?
    Do you use two sticks or one?

Have you ever used Tak Kubota's invention the Kobutan?
    It works great as a keyholder/mace and as a pain compliance "device". With a good set of keys I'd go against most knives anytime.
    Mace strikes to the forhead are good for triggering facial bleeding as well.

Nelson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Training with a Jo

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post

How many of you train with a small stick on a regular basis?

Nelson
    ......do you really want me (or worse, sifu dangeRuss) to comment on that?

ROFL. I actually cut down a 6' bo staff to about 4' so I could train in my old living room without taking out the ceiling fan. Since I've moved and converted my garage, it's no longer necessary (to avoid breaking a ceiling fan anyway.)

I think it's good to become familiar with different lengths though. Lord, I don't know how to say this without inviting more sarcastic remarks.... It's important to realize that different lengths of staffs have their own sets of limitations and advantages. ...sigh...there.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

[quote=Celtic_Crippler;39769.... It's important to realize that different lengths of staffs have their own sets of limitations and advantages. [/quote]
    Naaaah! *lol*

I used to train a lot with a wide variety of sticks. I actually agree, CC (sarcastic comment aside) that it is important to train with as wide a variety as possible.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I still train with a Jo. In Aikido the Jo is common place. I learned the Iwama Aiki-Jo style. My instructor learned this directly from Saito Shihan. I also do a bit of training with a yawara. That is a bit rusty as my days of Ju Jitsu have long passed by.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for your feedback!

When I talked to one of my Kenpo brothers last night long distance on the phone he reminded me that I had loaned him a book on stick fighting that Tak Kabuta had written back in the 70s? He told me that he would send it on to me after the first of the year.

I'm looking forward to practicing some additional striking techniques when I can. In the meantime I'll continue to "heft" my oak stick and work on my shoulder and upper body.

Any TK fans on this site?

Regards,

Nelson

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for your feedback!

When I talked to one of my Kenpo brothers last night long distance on the phone he reminded me that I had loaned him a book on stick fighting that Tak Kabuta had written back in the 70s? He told me that he would send it on to me after the first of the year.

I'm looking forward to practicing some additional striking techniques when I can. In the meantime I'll continue to "heft" my oak stick and work on my shoulder and upper body.

Any TK fans on this site?

Regards,

Nelson
    Nelson,

I've used many of Jo's in my time. If you want the best quality Jo I would hihgly recommend King Fisher Woodworks. They hand craft each weapon by hand. I have the Hickory Grade 7 which is like steel. They are pricey but you get wwhat you pay for. I've shattered many of Japanese White Oak Jo's with the fine weapon. They also carry yawara / bigger version of Kobutan.

http://www.kingfisherwoodworks.com/

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Dear Ronin:

Thanks for the tips on the Jo! I haven't boken my stick completly yet but I have some "battle scars" from years past that I mended with epoxy.

Are there any u-tube stick videos that you might recommend?

Nelson

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Nelson,

We use two 28" sticks about 3/4" diameter. Sounds like you need to start in to some form of Arnis. You will find some great drills and self defence there.
    See if there are any schools teaching Arnis in your area. Many Kenpo schools teach it as it dove tails into kenpo so well. At least visit a school and watch an Arnis class. I think you would really like it.

Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Dear Ronin:

Thanks for the tips on the Jo! I haven't boken my stick completly yet but I have some "battle scars" from years past that I mended with epoxy.

Are there any u-tube stick videos that you might recommend?

Nelson
    Nelson,

Take a look at this guys links. He has the Kumi Jo two man sets 1 through 10.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=vkosturjak

Thanks

I was fortunate to attend a few workshops with Shihan John Damian (of Imua Ki Aikido) before he passed away and we learned a basic Jo kata. Very interesting movements. Also his son did a few Arnis workouts...I really enjoyed them both, and while we use the Bo quite a bit in Kara-Ho Kempo I have to admit I prefer to put something sharp on the end and make it a spear

I had taken a couple months of Iaido MANY years ago and have sworn to return to it but where is the time? LOL

My instructor gave a couple of classes based on Mr. Kubota's "Kubotan", this was in a Women's self-defense class though.
    The above is just my opinion.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Dear Dianhsuhe:
    Thanks for your comments!
    I'm waiting for my friend to send me my old copy of Tak Kubota's book on stick techniques to help me along as well.

I'm mainly interested in learning a few basic kata's and excercises to break up my trining routine.

Once again, thanks to all for your help.

Nelson

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Learning the basic strikes are very important. Once this is done, you can take your basic empty hand kata's and apply it to the weapon. I have done this for the bo, jo, escrima, yawara. You don't need to create/learn new kata's to understand how to use the weapon.

Thanks

Any practical weapon should be trained and sticks (cough) are the most common and available.

Personally I have my sons baseball bat, mit and baseball in my passanger seat. If were pulled over ... hey that is my sons baseball stuff.

If I need it ... there is a BAT.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Dear Kat:

I'm with you brother on the backseat "baseball" gear.

When I worked in some tough inner city neighborhoods I used to carry Hornet spray for those "pesky" hornets. The spray is an effective chemical weapon with a range of 20 feet. It don't beat a Glock but it's better that nothing if it comes to a LOD situation.

Nelson

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    I was fortunate to attend a few workshops with Shihan John Damian (of Imua Ki Aikido) before he passed away and we learned a basic Jo kata. Very interesting movements. Also his son did a few Arnis workouts...I really enjoyed them both, and while we use the Bo quite a bit in Kara-Ho Kempo I have to admit I prefer to put something sharp on the end and make it a spear

I had taken a couple months of Iaido MANY years ago and have sworn to return to it but where is the time? LOL

My instructor gave a couple of classes based on Mr. Kubota's "Kubotan", this was in a Women's self-defense class though.
    If you can I highly suggest Iaido practice. Even though my primary art now is EPAK, I still teach Aikido & Iaido. I have to say that Iaido helped me with my martial arts training. The percise control of your body along with being one with the sword and using it as an extension of your body, really helps me in my training. Plus I got a nice new Iaito for Christmas, so I'm even more juiced about it lately.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Nelson,

I PM'd you with a link to the 31 count Kumi Jo kata. If you have any questions please let me know. If anyone else is interested please let me know.

Regards

Chris

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links