View Poll Results: Will a Throat strike immediately incapcitate an attacker?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 53.85%
  • No

3 11.54%
  • Maybe/Not sure

9 34.62%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Throat strikes

Thanks

Default Throat strikes

In honor of CC's post on Groin strikes. i bring you Throat strikes. woot

Thanks

Default Re: Throat strikes

Chances are much greater than the groin, but again, it depends on many factors.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

I have heard it only take 2 pounds of pressure to break a persons wind pipe. Is that true?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Whether you crush the windpipe or not, trauma will cause swelling inhibiting the flow of air. This will happen regardless of endorphines, drugs, adrenaline, or any other factor. So, regardless of whether it hurts them or not, they won't be able to breathe and we all need air to function.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I think throat stike wield a greater chance of success. Then again there are so many factors with that too. accuracy is more important in throat strikes.
    At least with groin sometimes even a lightest brush could injure.

Ive been hit at the side of the neck and base with little to no effect but a direct pinch or strike to my vagus nerve or curoted(?) sinus really hurts and sometimes takes the whole will to fight and my breath away. Throat strikes are defineitely deadly as opposed to groin strikes.

thats my two cents

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 5,604 Posts

Properly executed, yes. That's why it is prominent in commercial kenpo.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Whether you crush the windpipe or not, trauma will cause swelling inhibiting the flow of air. This will happen regardless of endorphines, drugs, adrenaline, or any other factor. So, regardless of whether it hurts them or not, they won't be able to breathe and we all need air to function.

so its safe to say a launched elbow strike.. like say in Deflecting Hammer/Deflecting Pendulum to the throat would pretty much take a person out.. if not permanently..? lol i say that because for some reason, unless i try and hit the eye socket as targeted.. my elbow always seems to find the throat naturally.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    Chances are much greater than the groin, but again, it depends on many factors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Properly executed, yes. That's why it is prominent in commercial kenpo.
    At the risk of being redundant- I agree with these posts. But you don't have a category for "If done right." So I can't vote.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I think as long as you hit the target squarely (centre of the throat..adams apple) it should be effective. You will either 'fool' the body into thinking it is at risk of suffocating or it will be true. Either way you should be able escape.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 5,604 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    so its safe to say a launched elbow strike.. like say in Deflecting Hammer/Deflecting Pendulum to the throat would pretty much take a person out.. if not permanently..? lol i say that because for some reason, unless i try and hit the eye socket as targeted.. my elbow always seems to find the throat naturally.
    Very funny I guess, unless you're receiving the elbow. Now let's talk about your chances of going to jail for various crimes committed by you for striking a person in the throat. Maybe we can find some humor in that as well.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

Now let's talk about your chances of going to jail for various crimes committed by you for striking a person in the throat. Maybe we can find some humor in that as well.
    I concur Doc. I find a lot of Kenpoists don't think much of throat shots, but they will if they ever try it on someone.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Very funny I guess, unless you're receiving the elbow. Now let's talk about your chances of going to jail for various crimes committed by you for striking a person in the throat. Maybe we can find some humor in that as well.
    asuming im randomly going to strike someone in the throat for no reason? thats what i got out of that reply..

In contrast to the "if done right" responses (not just from you, but everyone in general that has replied along those lines) answer to the question "is it a fight stopping blow" on this poll and the groin shot poll. i would say a crushed windpipe is a fight stopping blow. if thinking that comparison funny is a reason to bring up prison in the conversation.. id say following through with most kenpo techniques including extensionsions would be grounds for prison too if all the guy was doing was trying to gab you and "talk" to you cos he thought you were making a move on his gf/wife.... i think that's down right hillarious, in the ludicrouse way he "defended" himself.

Thanks

Part of "environmental awareness" is being familiar with the laws where you live. Being that I don't randomly strike folks in the throat on a whim I believe I'm pretty safe from being Big Bubba's cellmate.

I'm not sure how effective an elbow would be though. It's a pretty large weapon and the throat (not the neck) can be an obscure target. I'd say a narrow weapon would work best, like a sword hand or panther paw (half-fist, leapoard paw...whatever you call it in your curriculum LOL)

Also, I would reiterate that this can cause some series damage or death so you'd better be willing to accept that before you use it. But, as many people fail to recognize....ANY blow to the head could cause death. Kenpo, whether you consider it commercial or not, is not a toy. As the creed states you should only use kenpo if forced to defend yourself. If there's another way then it should be taken and your kenpo used only as a last resort.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Part of "environmental awareness" is being familiar with the laws where you live. Being that I don't randomly strike folks in the throat on a whim I believe I'm pretty safe from being Big Bubba's cellmate.

I'm not sure how effective an elbow would be though. It's a pretty large weapon and the throat (not the neck) can be an obscure target. I'd say a narrow weapon would work best, like a sword hand or panther paw (half-fist, leapoard paw...whatever you call it in your curriculum LOL)
    exactly.. as far as i know in Maryland there is no "self defense law" unless you have some bruise or cut or something say on teh back of your head or back showing you tried to leave the situation.. you're as guilty as they are. ontop of that.. if someone breaks into your house, you can not harm them.. the only exception would be if you left your house (fat chance), they followed you, then you could do something because you were the target, not your house. or if you locked yourself in a room and they tried to break into that room.. personally, i think if someone breaks into my house, i should be able to legally use whatever means have to make him leave my home. (not kill him)

and yes doing striking serpent's head/crashing thunder we always execute a thrusting heel palm to the shoulder in the classroom.. so there is some contact made.. cirriculum wise we do the half fist to the throat (iv always called them leopard fists lol).. same reason timing drills are done to the shoulders instead of the face.

Thanks

Georgia got rid of all their "Duty to Flee" laws. Thank GOD!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I concur Doc. I find a lot of Kenpoists don't think much of throat shots, but they will if they ever try it on someone.
    Why wouldn't a kenpoist think much of a throat shot?

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, but personally I think throat shots are invaluable. The chances of me getting into a fight due to my lifestyle is very low. If I did have to defend myself it would likely be an extreme circumstance. That being said, a throat shot would be high on my list of targets.

Thanks

I agree with Exec. I am a pretty boring guy, if I am in a fight then the circumstances are dire... I know each incident is different but I usually think, eyes, throat, groin, and knee.

What do they say about being judged by six?
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks

Now let's talk about your chances of going to jail for various crimes committed by you for striking a person in the throat.
    Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post
    Why wouldn't a kenpoist think much of a throat shot? Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, but personally I think throat shots are invaluable.
    Doc and Seabrook are talking about considering the consequences of a throat strike, legal and moral, that will effect you if it kills your opponent.

I agree that there are circumstances where they may be warranted. But you will have to convince a judge and jury of that fact long after the fightis over. In the cold emotionless legal system and to a bunch of bleeding hearts who naturally sympathathise with the true criminal all too often, things tend to be seen differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    What do they say about being judged by six?
    That is a Jeff Cooper quote. I've read his works, and I doubt he meant it like it is usually thrown out there. There are times when deadly force is necessary. But I believe Mr. Cooper would have wanted you to consider all the consequences before using it. Who will defend and take care of your family while you are in prison? How will they live while paying all the legal bills with only your wife's income? Who'll raise your children? And, when you do get out, what kind of person will return to them? Just a few considerations for when training any deadly force strike.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

That is a Jeff Cooper quote. I've read his works, and I doubt he meant it like it is usually thrown out there. There are times when deadly force is necessary. But I believe Mr. Cooper would have wanted you to consider all the consequences before using it. Who will defend and take care of your family while you are in prison? How will they live while paying all the legal bills with only your wife's income? Who'll raise your children? And, when you do get out, what kind of person will return to them? Just a few considerations for when training any deadly force strike.

Dan C[/quote]

I could be wrong but I do believe that he was thinking more along the lines of Parker when he said "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"....

As far as my comments regarding throat strikes you will notice that I mentioned I am very unlikely to be in a 'casual' altercation...for me a throat strike would only be used in a severe situation where either my life or the lives of my family were at risk. In such cases the Parker quote definately applies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post
    I could be wrong but I do believe that he was thinking more along the lines of Parker when he said "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"....

As far as my comments regarding throat strikes you will notice that I mentioned I am very unlikely to be in a 'casual' altercation...for me a throat strike would only be used in a severe situation where either my life or the lives of my family were at risk. In such cases the Parker quote definately applies.
    OK. Diansuhe quoted Parker who quoted Cooper who probably heard that somewhere and liked it. Irrelevant.

I've read some of Mr. Parkers works as well, and doubt he'd want you to risk taking a life either, except in the most dire circumstances. And less dire circumstances can and do happen to us all, including you. That you are less likeky is also irrelevant to the point. It could happen, and the time to think about training to use less deadly strikes and to think about the possible effects of strikes like a half fist to the throat is before we need either.

You probably don't think that much different than me. I tend to think that the courts should err on the side of the person that was attacked. And we shouldn't have to risk our lives, those of our family or even a bystander by running, and we should be allowed to defend our property. If the bad guy gets killed, my motives should be between me and God, not some leftist court. But, the reality is that the courts are leftist (for the most part) and we have to deal with that. And the reality is that we will at some point have to stand before a judge we can't lie to. That is what I think Doc and Seabrook were getting at, and I agree. Well, they might not be as jaded in their view of the courts- I don't know. But the main points are train the less deadly but effective stuff as well so you don't have to completely rely on the deadly shots.

Dan C

edit: added "probably" to the statement about our similar thoughts, since I can't know for sure.
    Last edited by thedan; 12-12-2006 at 12:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links