Thread: Shadowboxing?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,335 Posts

Default Shadowboxing?

Dear Kenpo brothers and sisters:

Do you shadowbox? Do you think it is an important part of a fighter's training or just "window dressing?"

How important is visualization in making your training more realistic when practicing techniques?

Thanks

Default Re: Shadowboxing?

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Do you shadowbox? Do you think it is an important part of a fighter's training or just "window dressing?"
    It helps, and is a good training method. Great if you don't have anything else to whump on. How good is probably different for each individual.

How important is visualization in making your training more realistic when practicing techniques?
    This is very important in any training not involving a partner, from shadow boxing to forms and techniques in the air. It's the difference in doing a set of movements by rote and in actually doing something.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks

Shadowboxing is a vital part of a fighter's training routine.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

It seems that it would be very useful. I agree with thedan that doing techniques, forms, sets and sparring in the air is all very useful.

As long as you also get the chance to smack real people around, then it's good.

Flow is very important.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I totally agree with using shadowboxing in training. I find it very useful in front of a mirror to work on head movement (slipping, bobbing, etc.) and getting feedback on my positioning as far as my hands and body go. I think the same applies to doing forms in front of a mirror, you can be very critical of your footwork and postioning.

I like using mirrors when shadowboxing also so I have 'targets' to aim for.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post
    I totally agree with using shadowboxing in training. I find it very useful in front of a mirror to work on head movement (slipping, bobbing, etc.) and getting feedback on my positioning as far as my hands and body go. I think the same applies to doing forms in front of a mirror, you can be very critical of your footwork and postioning.

I like using mirrors when shadowboxing also so I have 'targets' to aim for.
    Believe it or not, I prefer no mirrors when I train, but you are right Mark, for most people mirrors have some advantages.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

EXTREMELY important in my book; especially when training alone. It's quite easy to fall into a routine of following movements without a purpose; to let your mind wander when practicing forms or tech's. One should always be focused on the reasons behind those movements at all times keeping in mind the prescribed targets for the weapons being used (punchs, kicks, etc). Not only will this improve your skill, efficiency, and effectiveness but it will also aid you in gaining a higher understanding of Kenpo principles and how they're applied. You will probably also notice that by practicing visualization with your practice that you start to "borrow" and "graft" more easily.
    My 0.02
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I fully agree, I also on my downtime ie reading a book, waiting in line, watching The Simpsons. lol
    Practise my one legged stance. Sometimes all of the stance sets.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

My old instructor used to say, "The mirror is your best instructor" to which I would reply, "It's also a heck of a lot better looking!" He was not amused by my comment by the way.

I do some of my stances and basic block's training in front of a TV screen, while the set is turned off! I find the reflection is good enough to check posture without being too distracting to accent my bald spot and "ample" waistband.

Nelson

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    Believe it or not, I prefer no mirrors when I train, but you are right Mark, for most people mirrors have some advantages.
    I use the mirrors depending on what I am trying to accomplish. Definately I find them useful for shadowboxing. If I am working on the technical aspects when working my forms I like the mirrors, otherwise I use visualization when doing my forms or techniques. My favorite is and always has been another body though.

I am curious, do you shadowbox? If so do you actually use shadow or visualization?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: Shadowboxing?

Unless you have a partner willing, able and availible 24/7 whenever the training bug happens to nip you, then it's not just a good idea, it's imperative. I wholeheartedly agree, that mirrors and video cameras are an indispensable training aid. If I could only have one piece of training equipment it would most definately be a mirror.
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Thanks

I am curious, do you shadowbox? If so do you actually use shadow or visualization?
    I shadowbox outdoors a lot as I find it a really good warmup prior to doing techniques, forms, or sets.

I also occassionally finish with shadowboxing. It really helps one's sparring.

Thanks

I prefer video to mirrors. When practicing I like to concentrate on what I'm doing and feel the mirrors would be distracting. By video taping, I can go back and view what I did and put my focus on areas that need improving. I can also rewind it and watch it again just focusing on my footwork, rewind it and focus on my hand positions, rewind it and...you get the idea.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I shadowbox outdoors a lot as I find it a really good warmup prior to doing techniques, forms, or sets.

I really enjoy practising outdoors. Wish I was independently wealthy then I could have my house on the beach, workout on the sand every day and teach for free.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Dear Sifu's and sensei's:

Do you teach or encourage your students to shadowbox?
    I like using the vdeo angle along with the mirror.
    We have found that analyzing film clips to be especially helpful in detecting technical errors.

Nelson

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Question Re: Shadowboxing?

Sir,

I have always considered forms practice to be shadowboxing. Even solo tek practice. Would you agree/disagree?

1stJohn1:9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpochrstn View Post
    Sir,

I have always considered forms practice to be shadowboxing. Even solo tek practice. Would you agree/disagree?

1stJohn1:9
    In one sense, perhaps, but I don't fully agree because forms and sets are CHOREOGRAPHED movements that you have memorized in sequence. With shadowboxing, however, you are free to explore all avenues, targets, footwork drills, choice of weapons, and so forth.

Thanks

I really enjoy practising outdoors. Wish I was independently wealthy then I could have my house on the beach, workout on the sand every day and teach for free.
    You and me both, brother!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    You and me both, brother!
    I think if I didn't have to work i woudl either be in the best condition of my life, or just fricken huge from the good living....my kids would prefer the former I'm sure.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links