Thread: Training with video cameras

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Training with video cameras

I just wanted to get a feel for this. I, like many of you, keep a journal of classes as well as workouts at home. After reading about the use of Video technologies by Mr Parker I want to know if anyone actively captures thier training sessions via video for review. I think it can be a great tool, but wanted to open things up and get some opinions.

Regards

Chris
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

Default Re: Training with video cameras

I'm all for it. I really need to get a camera and start filming my tech's so I can see for myself all the bad habits I need to break, LOL!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post
    I'm all for it. I really need to get a camera and start filming my tech's so I can see for myself all the bad habits I need to break, LOL!

That is what I'm thinking. Since I'm still at the orange belt level, I wanted to try to get in certian habits and training methods early so that I'll stick with it though my Kenpo journey.

Thanks

I think it's a good idea to use the camera often while training because it gets me use to the camera being there, so when it comes time to really perform in front of the camera it's not as intimidating either.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

Thanks

I wish I would have filmed myself a long time ago. That way I'd be able to see how differently I move now as compared to then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

The fiming thing is pretty new for training purposes to me. I have many of my tests through the years, but this would be a new tool for training for me. I also think it could work as a video journal of your progression in the art. I wish I heard of it years ago.

Thanks

Any time you can get your stuff on video, it's a good thing.

I am going to make it a point to get our techniques on video. I'm pretty good about getting kata over the last year or two, but techniques would be great to see.

The bummer part about video is that when you capture it on video, all your illusions of how cool you look usually vanish.

On the plus side, if you practice with it enough, eventually you will look on the outside as cool as you think you look like in your head.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Many thanks to those that responded. I'm going to pick one up after Christmas. I think it will be a great reference tool as well as a video journal of my progression.

Thanks to all.

Chris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    The bummer part about video is that when you capture it on video, all your illusions of how cool you look usually vanish.

On the plus side, if you practice with it enough, eventually you will look on the outside as cool as you think you look like in your head.

--Amy

here here.. lol i already learned from watching my forms on video my posture is a lil off.. shoulders more forward, butt not anchored.. :-\ totally detracts from how badass i thought i looked. :-p

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    At home, playing chess with a bust of Julius Caesar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    Any time you can get your stuff on video, it's a good thing.

I am going to make it a point to get our techniques on video. I'm pretty good about getting kata over the last year or two, but techniques would be great to see.

--Amy
    Too true. I liken the difference to listening to yourself while you talk versus hearing a voice recording of yourself. I sound like a dork on tape, nothing like I do when I'm talking for *real*.

At my school, the video camera usually finds its way into class when people are unable to grasp something they've been doing wrong. It's one thing to have someone correct your form when you just can't sense the problem, and quite another to see faults in your movements on display from the outside. Video is an incredibly expedient teaching tool.

My instructor likes using video to look back and see how his teaching style has changed over the years. I think he also likes to show us what stupid hairstyles we had. lol

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I remember the first time I saw myselff on video, it's a real confrontation! I agree wih Amy, when you see yourself on a video your illussions of being good or cool vanish. But to me, that's a good thing because once your over it you'll start working at it, you know, to make it look cool again!
    It wasn't untill I filmed myselff, that I really understand what my instructor meant with a couple of his comments and advice on my performance!

Yes, I had some video's of my selff from my early days as a white, yellow or orange belt. Unfortunately the earliest one is from a tournament when I was a green belt.
    I started filming myselff occasionaly since I was a brown belt. Once in a while filming your techniques or forms really helps you to improve your form. For me it is a great tool.

I don't use the camera every week, but once in a while to see my progress and to improve my overall form!

Full Salute,

Richard
    Richard Baarspul
    Representative Jeff Speakman's Kenpo 5.0 Benelux
    www.Karate-Utrecht.nl
    www.JeffSpeakman.nl
    www.Facebook.com/RichardBaarspul
    e-mail: info@karate-utrecht.nl

“It is not the aim of Kenpo to merely produce a skillful as well as powerful practitioner, but to create a well integrated student respectful of all.”

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I only have them of me testing in Aikido and Iaido. I never used the camera to tape things until I was at a higher level. Since I'm at the orange belt level in EPAK I wanted to start to use it now while I'm still green to the art. I always found something to pick on before, so as I'm now very new I feel I'll find a ton of things to find room to improve...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

My first instructor was a professional photographer so we always had access to video, but back then it was also quite cumbersome, the battery packs weight almost 20 lbs, and the camera was the size of a mid sized rocket launcher.

We are now trying to get our hands on an old working Beta VCR so that we can transfer a bunch of footage to dvd. My former instructor found an entire box of tapes we had made back in the 80's.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    My first instructor was a professional photographer so we always had access to video, but back then it was also quite cumbersome, the battery packs weight almost 20 lbs, and the camera was the size of a mid sized rocket launcher.

We are now trying to get our hands on an old working Beta VCR so that we can transfer a bunch of footage to dvd. My former instructor found an entire box of tapes we had made back in the 80's.

I'm in the process of looking for an new camera now. All I do know is to find a stable tripod for it. After that I think I'm going for a small form factor camera. I think I'm sticking with MiniDV.

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

We use a lot of Video. Why? You can tell someone what they are doing wrong,but actually seeing it for themselves makes all the difference. You can't raally tell them how they look. They need to see it for themselves.
    Usually one run through of the video stops a bad habit. An excellent tool!!!

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

Thanks

I learn most of my kali through private instruction, and we try to video tape a summary of each lesson. So after two hours of drilling and getting the drill/tech/flow down, we then tape it with our instructor so we have a reference of us doing it correctly. We also tape ourselves sparring so we can see good/bad things going on. Besides, that is just plain fun.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    I learn most of my kali through private instruction, and we try to video tape a summary of each lesson. So after two hours of drilling and getting the drill/tech/flow down, we then tape it with our instructor so we have a reference of us doing it correctly. We also tape ourselves sparring so we can see good/bad things going on. Besides, that is just plain fun.

Lamont
    Great idea. Muck like yourself I was thinking of using it as a way to catalog training.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sifuroy View Post
    We use a lot of Video. Why? You can tell someone what they are doing wrong,but actually seeing it for themselves makes all the difference. You can't raally tell them how they look. They need to see it for themselves.
    Usually one run through of the video stops a bad habit. An excellent tool!!!

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy
    Very true. This was a big factor in me looking at taping myself. Since I have the 25 plus years in martial arts taking up a new art at this point is difficult. My body does something differnt then what my mind tells it. I felt watching myself would be a great way to visually help to correct my movements.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links