Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Sparring Drills for Teaching

  1. #1
    execkenpo is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    601
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 103 Times in 69 Posts

    Default Sparring Drills for Teaching

    I am looking for some new sparring drills to bring to my classes. There is a thread about sparring techniques but it is more centred on techniques.

    We don't emphasize point sparring in our school. We do continuous sparring and boxing style drills at present.

    There must be lots of great ideas out there!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

    Default Re: Sparring Drills for Teaching

    Other than practicing different combinations for muscle memory so that you will be able to pull them off when sparring, nothing will improve your sparring except for sparring.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  3. #3
    execkenpo is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    601
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 103 Times in 69 Posts

    Default Re: Sparring Drills for Teaching

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Other than practicing different combinations for muscle memory so that you will be able to pull them off when sparring, nothing will improve your sparring except for sparring.
    I realize that. What I'm looking for is some new ideas to bring to my students. Maybe things I'm not currently doing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

    Default Re: Sparring Drills for Teaching

    Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post
    I realize that. What I'm looking for is some new ideas to bring to my students. Maybe things I'm not currently doing.
    You can do starting drills, where you say beging and they pounce off the line to get used to making the first strike as fast as possible.

    You can do skirting drills, where they move froward and side ways only, never backwards. Have the person doing the skirting defend only for one time around the ring, then the next pass around the ring have them do counter strikes.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  5. #5
    execkenpo is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    601
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 103 Times in 69 Posts

    Default Re: Sparring Drills for Teaching

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    You can do starting drills, where you say beging and they pounce off the line to get used to making the first strike as fast as possible.

    You can do skirting drills, where they move froward and side ways only, never backwards. Have the person doing the skirting defend only for one time around the ring, then the next pass around the ring have them do counter strikes.
    Thanks, both good but I really like the second drill. We're always trying to stress moving to the sides nd not just back.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: Sparring Drills for Teaching

    Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post
    Thanks, both good but I really like the second drill. We're always trying to stress moving to the sides nd not just back.
    I would suggest using all 8 angles as based on the Kenpo Wheel in these types of drills. It helps the student to think more in 3 dimensional terms.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

  7. #7
    execkenpo is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    601
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 103 Times in 69 Posts

    Default Re: Sparring Drills for Teaching

    I have been thinking about this while reading the suggestions and some other posts. I Along the lines of what Rob and Crippler are suggesting, how about sparring while on your knees, hands only obviously. This might be a great way to get students to work on head movement and parrying rather than backing up. I'll try it and let you know how it goes.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Drills and teaching material
    By amylong in forum Kenpo General
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-31-2008, 11:03 AM
  2. Favorite Sparring Combinations
    By Medina Kenpo in forum Kenpo General
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-23-2007, 01:20 AM
  3. Timing Drills
    By KenpoEMT in forum Parker - Mills / AKKI
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 11:02 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 05:49 PM
  5. What to watch when sparring?
    By Kenpo-Sloth in forum Beginners Corner
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 03:27 PM

Search tags for this page (caching method: memcache)

bill superfoot wallace sparring drills
,

bill wallace sparring drills

,
drills for using angles when sparring
,

point sparring drills

,
what are some good sparring drills to teach your students in point sparring
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.