Thread: kids and tournaments

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default kids and tournaments

I would like to know how they group kids together in tournaments. The one's we have been to have been by size and rank. I have a hard time with this. My son age 12 is 5'6 and 105 pounds should he be sparring a 17 old of same belt and size. My next problem he gets size with someone his height but they out weight him by 40 + AND ONE TIME HE HAD TO BE OUT WEIGH BY 75+ pounds. What is fair? Please help crazy mom understand.

Thanks

Default Re: kids and tournaments

There should be age, weight and rank restrictions. However in some events depending on participation they group others in different classes and both get a medal regardless of how they do.

Not always fair, true. Welcome to the tournament scene.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: kids and tournaments

Martin is dead on with his analysis. There should be Age, and Belt categories for kids 12 and under, Girls and boy are usually together until age 10 or 12. After that they should be broken up as well. As for weight classes it can be tough in children's divisions.

Children should be sparring in light contact only and the referree should have a strong hand when it comes to controlling the ring when it comes to the rules and contact.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links