Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: martial arts taught in public schools

Thanks

Default martial arts taught in public schools

Do you think martial arts should be taught in public schools? Should this be part of the normal required curriculum like math and science, or a sport like football and baseball. Or not at all, public school is no place to study martial arts.

I was looking at Yahoo answers and found this question asked. I can see a lot of good and bad on both sides of this question. What do you think and why?
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

Default Re: martial arts taught in public schools

I could see where it might be nice to have a module in a gym class setting - something they can get a taste of

Im not sure how it would be if it were a school team sport - each school would have to find a qualified "coach," and would the whole distrcit follow the same style, or would style not matter in generic competition?
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

I believe the martial arts can be a great tool in the developement of young people. Things such as self confidence and discipline are priceless in growing up. I just don't know how you would monitor this. Would it be just exercise? Or would you want them to actually teach self defense that would work?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hemi View Post
    Do you think martial arts should be taught in public schools?
    Sure. But, then, I think firearms should be taught in grade school and up- so you might take my opinion with a grain of salt. I also think political correctness is properly labeling deviates and conflict resolution should include preemptive strikes. And, if the chemistry lab survived the year, you probably didn't learn anything useful (same if your chem book was not written by Kurt Saxon).

So, at what age do you think they should introduce blades into the carriculum? And at what level should they be sharpened?

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: martial arts taught in public schools

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    Sure. But, then, I think firearms should be taught in grade school and up- so you might take my opinion with a grain of salt. I also think political correctness is properly labeling deviates and conflict resolution should include preemptive strikes. And, if the chemistry lab survived the year, you probably didn't learn anything useful (same if your chem book was not written by Kurt Saxon).

So, at what age do you think they should introduce blades into the carriculum? And at what level should they be sharpened?

Dan C
    An armed society is a polite society? I called Pallidin Press one day, and who answered the phone at the other end? Yup. Kurt Saxon, hisself. What an interesting conversation. Pre-emptive strikes sound like a good idea. "Yes Officer, I thought it best I took him out, before he got it in his mind to do me harm."

That being said, then I see few downsides to teaching MA of some sort in public schools. Despite the naysayers, who would complain that we are training the hooligans to seriously hurt others. In the longrun, there would probably be less acts of viloence, as kids found other outlets for their agression, boosted their self-confidence, so they didn't have to prove themselves to every other kid on the playground. The discipline that is inherant in the martial arts, would be more generally accepted, cloaked in the "Mysteries of the Orient", as a cultural sampling, where we couldn't sell that kind of thing to today's modern parent without some type of guise. It could only help, to interest even a few more kids, into doing something physical, other than sitting in front of a monitor playing Mortal Wombat, watching their waistline grow. It has everything the educational system could ask for, it helps establish short and long term goals. It offers it's own type of reward system. Those who are interested in taking it to a competitive level could do so. It's culturally enriching. It promotes artistic expression. I doubt there is a signel child that could not benefit in some way from this type of program.
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Thanks

The original aim of Karate was to make people better human beings, not fighters or thugs.

I think teaching in schools would be a great idea.

Just let me know where to send my resume

"The ultimate aim of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. - Gichin Funakoshi"
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

kenpoteacher Guest

Curriculum. Take a good look at what youdo or don't hand out your students right now. Do you have manuals that contain basics, set, forms and a general wording of the type of techniques you teach?

If not, then create manuals up throught intermediate levels and then show them to the school board. Get a flash drive and carry the info around incase you need it. Make a powerpointe presentaion that will highlight the system with a resume of your skills, and the manes of your instructors.

I think in specifics, how about you?

Clark

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Several years ago, I had 3 school teachers as students in my school, and one night after a few pints in an Irish Pub, I let out that I would love to own a private school where martial arts are as much of the curriculum as math, english, history and geography. They looked into the feasability of it and if i could have come up with the million and half dollars i could have had my own private boarding school. Then the question arose would there be enough parents will to send their child to such a school.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

There is always the KICKstart program.

http://www.kickstart.org
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks

I really think it's not a good thing to teach something like Kenpo to kids. Tae Kwon Do, maybe, but not Kenpo. Kenpo should come at the college level where, generally, the students are more mature. Some kids can handle it, but, if the wrong kid did something stupid-the "martial arts in school thing" would be over quickly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

I agree with the last poster- In Korea TKD IS part of "gym class", but Kempo is quite different. I have always insisted if my wife and I have a child, that I will teach the kid Kara-Ho Kempo- but in general I do not like the idea of kids learning the regular Kempo curriculum. Maybe a watered down version, for self esteem, balance, and basic awareness and defense but eye gouges and groin tears for the average 5 year old? Nah..

Did I ever answer the question? Yes to MA in Public Schools, no to our adult Kempo curriculums.

Another good thread for hemi
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    I agree with the last poster- In Korea TKD IS part of "gym class", but Kempo is quite different. I have always insisted if my wife and I have a child, that I will teach the kid Kara-Ho Kempo- but in general I do not like the idea of kids learning the regular Kempo curriculum. Maybe a watered down version, for self esteem, balance, and basic awareness and defense but eye gouges and groin tears for the average 5 year old? Nah..

Did I ever answer the question? Yes to MA in Public Schools, no to our adult Kempo curriculums.

Another good thread for hemi
    Strong emphasis on basics. forms, sparring, would be a must. Self defense techniques with eye pokes, throat strikes and other extremely dangerous strikes would definitely have to be omitted.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Not particularly a class such as math or science.. being a required class. but rather an elective.. that way the teachers can have at least te ability to permit or kick out troublemakers...
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: martial arts taught in public schools

It is the teacher that makes the students. So if you had one teaching more then just kicking and punching! Then teaching in schools would be a great idea..I'm down
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, YOU are the one who gets burned."
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: martial arts taught in public schools

Required? I think it would be something worth adding to P.E., but as extracurricular. Kind of like an extra credit class. Teaching the basics for better health, self defense etc..
    1stJohn1:9

Thanks

Myself I feel yes, maybe as others have stated as an elective but yes martial arts should be introduced to the public school system.

I can go on all day listing some of the good that martial arts could do the youth of today. The idea of getting kids moving and away from the X-box, or Nintendo Wii moving their bodies getting some exercise would help with the ever increasing level of kids that are overweight. Leveling the playing field and helping to stop kids from getting picked on. (Lord knows I did as a kid) I loved the idea of setting goals and working for them. Building confidence raising self esteem and the list goes on and on.

Since most said yes to the first question, thanks for all the great responses everyone. Let me ask another question along these lines, at what grade should they be introduced? Should the material being taught be a watered down version of a system removing some of the more lethal moves/strikes? Should classes be separated by grade, sex of the students, or maybe group a few grades together?

Just curious what say the experts.

Oh and Dianhsuhe, thank you Sir.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: martial arts taught in public schools

Quote Originally Posted by Takai View Post
    There is always the KICKstart program.

http://www.kickstart.org

KickStart (the evolution of the "Kick Drugs Out of America Foundation," founded by Chuck Norris) can actually be found at the following website:

http://www.kickstart-online.webs.com/

The previously mentioned website is the home of the anti-poverty group, also named KickStart. They actually do some really good things in developing nations, promoting entrepreneurship among small-scale farmers in Africa.

MH
    Man has only those rights he can defend.

Thanks

While I don't usually make a big differentiation between martial arts and martial sports, in this case I would be very happy to have martial sports used as a curricullum of physical education in high schools. Martial sports have the advantage of having accepted rulesets and avenues of pursuit once the school year ends. I'd like to see fencing, boxing, kickboxing, judo, etc taught in school. These are demanding activities that will fulfill the fitness requirements of a PE class, much more so than some martial arts class that has an emphasis on turning out kata performers.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

Mac (06-30-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Seck View Post
    The original aim of Karate was to make people better human beings, not fighters or thugs.
    Wasn't the original aim of Karate to learn how to hurt people that had better weapons without getting hurt (or killed) first? The "do" was added later.

In general, there are so many possible physical activities for students to do, the school systems can't possibly offer them all. What makes martial arts better than gymnastics, soccer, baseball, dodgeball, golf, track & field, hockey...?

In the Boy Scouts of America, they count most sports towards the athletics (or personal fitness, I forget) merit badge. However they only allow Tai Chi, Aikido and Judo as fulfilling the requirements, and do not recognize any other martial arts participation as fulfilling requirements...

This rule was set back in the 1970's and has come up more than once in conversation. People say, "there are more injuries in those other sports." or, "it's in the olympics now" and other things, which are both true.

However, I always come back to the point that martial arts is teaching one to hit, break and damage others. While people get hit, poked and damaged in hockey (and other sports), it's not the goal of the training (or how you win).

This is why, in my opinion, you will not see schools teach martial arts on a large scale.

Besides, if everyone knows karate, then there has to be an escalation in offensive/defensive weapon taking for others. Wasn't it Syndrome in The Incredibles that said, "Once everyone is a Super, than no one is." ?
    Kenpo, moving in open piecewise Bézier curves since 2011

Trying hard not to lapse into speaking kenponics

Been doing computers since 1982, on forums, chats and all for nearly 3 decades. Only ever blocked one person.

Mac
    KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J-squared View Post
    Wasn't the original aim of Karate to learn how to hurt people that had better weapons without getting hurt (or killed) first? The "do" was added later.

In general, there are so many possible physical activities for students to do, the school systems can't possibly offer them all. What makes martial arts better than gymnastics, soccer, baseball, dodgeball, golf, track & field, hockey...?

In the Boy Scouts of America, they count most sports towards the athletics (or personal fitness, I forget) merit badge. However they only allow Tai Chi, Aikido and Judo as fulfilling the requirements, and do not recognize any other martial arts participation as fulfilling requirements...

This rule was set back in the 1970's and has come up more than once in conversation. People say, "there are more injuries in those other sports." or, "it's in the olympics now" and other things, which are both true.

However, I always come back to the point that martial arts is teaching one to hit, break and damage others. While people get hit, poked and damaged in hockey (and other sports), it's not the goal of the training (or how you win).

This is why, in my opinion, you will not see schools teach martial arts on a large scale.

Besides, if everyone knows karate, then there has to be an escalation in offensive/defensive weapon taking for others. Wasn't it Syndrome in The Incredibles that said, "Once everyone is a Super, than no one is." ?

You are probably right about teaching martial arts in PE, but it is ironic that schools will allow martial arts instructors to perform demonstrations on school grounds, have children sign up for classes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links