Thread: Headgear/Face Mask/Guard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Headgear/Face Mask/Guard

I need some help in trying to determine the best type of headgear for my son to wear while sparring. I am interested in the type with some type of cage/mask since they are involved in full-contact sparring with face contact. Any info on types or brands would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Headgear/Face Mask/Guard

Century Martial Arts has a few selections. Keep in mind a "cage" will obstruct his vision more so than normal head gear. You may want to consider one with a plastic visor instead. Just a thought

Macho makes good stuff:
    http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp...19&crumb=13501

Here's a Century one with less vision obstruction:
    http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp...19&crumb=13501
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

First off I read that yor son is 12 yrs old. he should not be fighting full contact unless wearing Headgear, chest guard, boots, gloves, shin pads, forearm protectors groin cup and mouthguard, any less and the school is being irresponsible with your child's safety. I would also look into your State's legislation regardling full contact fighting.

With that said there are several good types out there the ones with the metal bars seems a little extreme and dangerous to me to both competitors. I personally like the Macho XP face shield which straps on onto to the XP Headgear, A bit expensive but worth exery penny.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

I would look for another school. Any school that allows full contact to the face for kids is totally irrisponsible. I know their insurance company would not condone it. If their insurence company knew about it they would cancel their policy.

We require contestants in tournaments to wear full safety gear. Head Gear,Mouth piece,Hand Pads,Foot Pads,m and Groin Cups for males. In lower leval there is no contact allowed to the head. That is required by most insurence companies for promotors to put on tournaments.

I don't know what an instructor is thinking about telling 12 year old kids
    to hit to the face.
    You need a new school more than you need to worry about safety gear. Any good instructor will advise you about safety gear and proper sparring for kids and lower levals.

I am surprised more people have not responded to this.

Give it some serious thought.

Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Forget the crappy dipped foam headgear with the cage. Buy some good leather boxing gear if he will be taking shots to the head. Dipped foam gear does not protect against hard shots.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sifuroy View Post
    I would look for another school. Any school that allows full contact to the face for kids is totally irrisponsible. I know their insurance company would not condone it. If their insurence company knew about it they would cancel their policy.

We require contestants in tournaments to wear full safety gear. Head Gear,Mouth piece,Hand Pads,Foot Pads,m and Groin Cups for males. In lower leval there is no contact allowed to the head. That is required by most insurence companies for promotors to put on tournaments.

I don't know what an instructor is thinking about telling 12 year old kids
    to hit to the face.
    You need a new school more than you need to worry about safety gear. Any good instructor will advise you about safety gear and proper sparring for kids and lower levals.

I am surprised more people have not responded to this.

Give it some serious thought.

Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

I don't see how it is any different from boxing. The kid is learning a martial art, after all. Insurance companies are a big part of the reason that the vast majority of martial arts are watered down, including Kenpo. Martial arts are contact endeavors that teach us good lessons. All it takes is one good shot to the bean to make you keep your hands up, and to keep moving.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

I second the clear visor. Because I wear glasses, I'm required to wear a helmet with a cage when I spar in competition. It sucks. It's hard to see anything coming up through the middle.

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

I don't see how it is any different from boxing. The kid is learning a martial art, after all. Insurance companies are a big part of the reason that the vast majority of martial arts are watered down, including Kenpo. Martial arts are contact endeavors that teach us good lessons. All it takes is one good shot to the bean to make you keep your hands up, and to keep moving.

I don't equate the average Kenpo school to a Boxing Gym. In Boxing you train to knock each other out. Also there are strict weight classes. In most Karate schools you fight with almost everyone. They could get matched up with someone a lot larger and stronger. You know in Boxing you are trying to knock each other out. That is what they do and sign up for.

I agree contact in sparring should be alowed but it should not be to the face for younger kids. To the head gear,fine. No instructor wants to deal with split lips,Black eyes and blood with kids and frantic parents looking on. Even with the best sparring gear it would eventually happen. No instructor wants to deal with that.

I am only bringing up an unpleasant side of this situation. It is there to deal with .

I did not say I am right .only an opinion. I often make mistakes,ask my wife she will tell you the only thing I have ever done right was marry her.
    Best to you!!

I am Most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links