Thread: Improve your balance?

Thanks

Default Improve your balance?

Anyone have any suggestions to help build balance? I really donít think my wife or my home owners association would like the idea of me planting balance poles in the yard.

Iíve seen the balance boards and many other crazy so called balance improving tools in Centuryís catalog.

What methods do you use to improve your balance?
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

Default Re: Improve your balance?

PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

I would love to have something like that set up next to the pool.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I purchased a Balance Disk made by Danskin from Wal-Mart at the recommendation of a classmate. He told me that after using it your feet feel nailed to the floor. He was right. It has improved my balance greatly. It costs like $12. Its a round inflatable disc about the size of a frisbee. It comes with a pump so you can inflate it to whatever thickness you desire and naturally the fuller it is the more difficult it is to stay on. Whats really nice is the convienance as I just leave mine on the floor next to the TV and stand on it for 10 minutes or so watching ESPN or whatever. Also things like standing on 1 leg while brushing your teeth help a bit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

One thing I do is to extend my legs slowly going through all the motions that I would if executing different types of kicks. Like isometric excercise-slow.

Lift-Chamber-Extend-Rechamber-Plant

You can repetitions of 10-20...whatever. A front kick, side kick, and rear thrusting heel kick are the 3 I usually go through.

This will help improve your balance by helping you to discover where your center of gravity really is. Once you understand that, you will probably see your grappling ability improve as well. Your ability to execute throws and takedowns more efficiently will improve and your understanding of the mechanics behind them will increase as well because once you understand how your own center of gravity and balance works you can then be able to understand the other side of the coin and how others balance can be effected or manipulated as well!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

We do a balance drill where you start in a right neutral bow and do a left front kick then a side kick then a back kick then a roundhouse kick to the front all with the same leg. Don't put your foot down in between and do it from a left neutral also. It has really helped me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crane557 View Post
    We do a balance drill where you start in a right neutral bow and do a left front kick then a side kick then a back kick then a roundhouse kick to the front all with the same leg. Don't put your foot down in between and do it from a left neutral also. It has really helped me.
    Old staple, great drill thanks for posting it.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Thanks for all the good info; Iím going to check at Wal-Mart for the balance disk.

Keep the ideas coming?

Thanks

At my gym, they have one of those half-ball things that are flat on the bottom, but have half of one of those aerobics/pilates exercise balls.

I stand on it on one foot, bend my knee and left the other knee up in front, then bring it around hurdler style to the side, then stretch it out in back.

Slowly, of course.

My knee has strengthened considerably doing this and my balance has also improved.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

bricks. this is a great training method used in tai chi. first do simple movements standing on bricks fat side down, then place them sideways with the long thin side down, and finally up on the thin short side.

next, push hands on bricks...

then, set up a series of bricks to move about on top of.

good simple way to adapt to kenpo basics: place the bricks in line for a neutral bow and practice kicks... makes you retain balance and land back in your original n-bow.

you can also use good quality yoga blocks when practicing on mat, but i wouldnt advise standing them straight upright as they have too much bend in them.
    "Rust Never Sleeps" - N.Young.

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    bricks. this is a great training method used in tai chi. first do simple movements standing on bricks fat side down, then place them sideways with the long thin side down, and finally up on the thin short side.

next, push hands on bricks...

then, set up a series of bricks to move about on top of.

good simple way to adapt to kenpo basics: place the bricks in line for a neutral bow and practice kicks... makes you retain balance and land back in your original n-bow.

you can also use good quality yoga blocks when practicing on mat, but i wouldnt advise standing them straight upright as they have too much bend in them.
    I like the bricks, good ideas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hemi View Post
    I would love to have something like that set up next to the pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    bricks.
    We used to use cinder blocks- same idea as the bricks but a little more stable. We'd spar on them, do forms and drills, etc. Sometimes long side down, sometimes standing up. Sometimes spaced evenly, sometimes randomly. Great for both ballance and awareness. You can also stand on one upright block and do basics- Star block, punches, strikes, kicks, etc. Just don't get too carried away- slow and easy is better for ballance and easier on your ankles! Then, start stacking the blocks. My brother used to be able to stack the things taller than he was, all upright, then climb the things and work his basics standing on one leg at the top. He had great ballance, but he did a lot of work with the blocks.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    At my gym, they have one of those half-ball things that are flat on the bottom, but have half of one of those aerobics/pilates exercise balls.

I stand on it on one foot, bend my knee and left the other knee up in front, then bring it around hurdler style to the side, then stretch it out in back.

Slowly, of course.

My knee has strengthened considerably doing this and my balance has also improved.

--Amy
    I need to get one of those. Seen them before and looks like it would work well for balance.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Iím kind of kicking myself for not thinking of that. I have a garage full of bricks that the contractor left behind. Great idea I also like the idea of doing forms and sets on bricks. All my neighbors think Iím nuts anyway doing forms with a broom on the ground between my feet in the driveway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Here is an excerpt from my ebook. Hopefully it will help you understand a little more about balance.

What Is Balance?

Balance is the term to describe oneís ability/inability to maintain equilibrium. It may be either static balance (as in a Stance) or dynamic balance ( as in Locomotion). Since this such an integral component of martial arts, we will discuss this in more detail under the Dominant Movement Patterns of Statics.

Why Is Balance Important?

It is quite obvious that this motor attribute is one of the most important aspects of the martial arts. Many skills are very dependant upon this quality for their successful performance.

What Limits Balance?

For the most part , One is limited by lack of exposure to balancing type activities and increased exposure will result in increased sensitivity and ability in this area. In some instances, strength is an important quality in maintaining balance.

How Can Balance Be Improved?

Generally, a lot of exposure to static and dynamic balancing activities will result in increased ability. More specifically, instructors can have their students various balance activities (especially static one) with their eyes closed. Doing so, forces the student to greater utilize their kinesthetic sense rather than always relying on their visual sense. This, of course, results in greater sensitivity and refinement of this sense.

Exercises for Muscular Control In Balancing

The following exercises are designed to strengthen the torso and facilitate having better "control" and improved balance.

(i) Prone and Suppine Stretch:
    Lying face down on the floor (prone) with the arms outstretched forwards. For 5 to 10 seconds stretch as long as possible while at the same time squeezing the legs, buttocks, and arms together as tightly as possible. Do the sanme exercise lying face up (suppine). Try in both exercises to press the body down ontothe floor as flat as possible.

(ii) Quarter Push - Ups:
    Lift the body (straight) 3 to 6 inches off the floor and hold in this position as long as possible

(iii) Half Sit - Ups:
    Short half sit - ups in rapid succession and/or holding the position illustrated.

(iv) Back and Front Support On Floor
    Hold these supports as long as possible with a straight body

Exercises For developing the "Sense" of Balance

The following are a couple exercises that are intended to develop more sensitivity toward balancing. With a little creativity you could come up with dozens more.

(i) Divers Stance:
    Standing with the heels together and the toes apart, raise the arms forward, horizontal to the floor and raise onto the toes, - hold
    Close the eyes - Hold

(ii) Stork Stand:
    Standing with the arms raised sideways to horizontal, or with the hands on the hips, raise one leg and place that foot on the knee of the other leg - hold
    Close the eyes - hold
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

That's great stuff Rob.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Another great tool is the big ball (also available at Wal Mart or maybe a Canadian retail chain) that inflactes to about a metre in diameter. You can use it for strength; ie. sit ups with your back extended over it and also back arches. It helps with balance by sitting on the ball ad extending your legs straight out.

I like the idea of the half ball with the platform, thanks.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links