Thread: Home Study

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Home Study

How would a home study black belt be recieved or viewed by others. I was checking out the Chuck sullivan home study course and I wanted to try it. I have a home dojo and experiance in martial arts with pretty sound basics.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Home Study

Quote Originally Posted by H.K.E View Post
    How would a home study black belt be recieved or viewed by others. I was checking out the Chuck sullivan home study course and I wanted to try it. I have a home dojo and experiance in martial arts with pretty sound basics.
    Did you ever open up a can of worms. This topic has been debated many times over on many forums. I am asking all the staff to watch this thread very carefully.

From what I have seen the IKCA does seem to have the one of the best study at home courses on the market today.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Best bet is to call Vic LeRoux directly. There are also clips of people who trained with them from scratch to black belt on their website.

His # is listed on their website.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

K_K has pretty well hit it on the head. Personally, I am a proponent of distance learning, if the program is laid out intelligently. There are some who will nay say it, no matter what, however, well instructed material via a modality other than hands on training can be useful. It, essentially, in my tiny shell-like mind, boils down to how much effort/discipline the student is willing to put into it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86 View Post
    It, essentially, in my tiny shell-like mind, boils down to how much effort/discipline the student is willing to put into it.
    That is so true...regardless of the method of learning.

Do as Katuda reccomends and don't be shy. Vic will talk your ear off!! If you already have a background in martial arts you should do fine. As Rob said, and I agree, the IKCA distance learning is one of ( if not the) best distance learning course available. When they send your recorded tests back they record feedback on it and will track your progress.

The IKCA also has at least 4 seminars nationally each year all over the country to allow for distance learning members to attend and get hands on training directly from Mr. LeRoux and sometimes Mr. Sullivan as well (though I think Mr. Sullivan may be retiring soon.) The next one is in March I believe...in N.C.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for the input so far. I think that for me it will take a lot of dedication.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86 View Post
    K_K has pretty well hit it on the head. Personally, I am a proponent of distance learning, if the program is laid out intelligently. There are some who will nay say it, no matter what, however, well instructed material via a modality other than hands on training can be useful. It, essentially, in my tiny shell-like mind, boils down to how much effort/discipline the student is willing to put into it.
    I think that sums it up pretty well. Although I couldn't imagine doing it myself, distance learning may be for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    The IKCA also has at least 4 seminars nationally each year all over the country to allow for distance learning members to attend and get hands on training directly from Mr. LeRoux and sometimes Mr. Sullivan as well (though I think Mr. Sullivan may be retiring soon.) The next one is in March I believe...in N.C.
    In my mind, this fact alone could sway my decision. I do believe that you need some amount of hands on training with an instructor as well as partner to make it viable. You can only do so many techniques in the air before you need to test things out to see if you have what it takes to make them work.

Bottom line: It's all in how you look when you're done. If you look slow sloppy and incomplete as a martial artist and you're wearing a black belt from distance learning, then I think your lack of skill will be chalked up as a deficiencey from never having real life training(BAD). If you look sharp, crisp and knowledgable, noone will think twice and may even call you a prodegy for your high level of performance while while never being face to face with your instructor(GOOD).

We are living in a digital world and I am a digital guy. I say go for it and good luck!
    Loyal student of Sifu DangeRuss
    Sam Pai Kenpo

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat." -Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I have a training partner and access to black belt friends so I am not totally going into this blind.
    thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Just a note regarding the NC seminar-- Kenpo in the Carolinas will be held again on April 21, 2007 same place as last year. Further information will be posted soon.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Thanks

I think it could be a great suppliment for training, especially if you have access to live partners to try the stuff out. I'd be interested to hear how it works out for ya.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    Just a note regarding the NC seminar-- Kenpo in the Carolinas will be held again on April 21, 2007 same place as last year. Further information will be posted soon.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    Can't wait!! Though it will be a tad emptier without Martin this time.
    Gee....I hope Vic decides to whup on me again! LOL. Lord, I love trapping!!!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Back in the old days...

We didn't have fancy-pants video.

If we wanted ta train long distance...

we had ta wait fer the Stone Tablets to arrive via the Burning Bush.

Having said that, technology does in fact continue to change and shape our lives in unpredictable ways. I'm sure most of us old schoolers, regardless of what they say, look at this concept with doubt at the very least, and perhaps something stronger.

Keeping an open mind, different people learn differently, this much I think we all know and will agree on. If you are a visually-oriented learner, with an abundance of patience and due dilligence, then perhaps you could prosper under this type of instruction. One of my close friends has the most amazing ability to analyze motion that I've ever encountered. He also had unlimited time on his hands, and was willing to sit and watch video footage over and over and over and over and over and was methodical enough, he could absorb an enormous amount of information this way.

For myself ? It would drive me nuts. You see, I like to question things. I like every class to be a little bit different. If something isn't clicking, I want to dissassemble it and reconstruct it, right then and there. I want to explore tangents that don't happen via videotape. The only way I would ever attempt this, was if I was stranded far beyond civilization proper and that was the only means possible.

So as I said, to each his own. for some folks this may be a viable option, providing you do have a fair grounding to begin with.
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I will consider this the great experiment...lol and post on progress.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

One thing that set apart many successful people in Home Study courses is they are realistic about their goals. They set blocks of time off to study in their schedules and adhere tothat schedule. When the allotment of time is up they stop and then go about life. This means they do not burn out quickly. They also can increase the time lengths or frequency of training at regularily scheduled intervals.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Vic LeRoux also sells a spiffy kenpo dummy called the ultraman. I have one, he gets kicked in the groin every time I pass by.

Great tool if you have no "body" to train with but it sounds like you do.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

EDIT HERE>> I was just re-reading my post and I want to qualify it by saying that every individual is different and that I concede that I have not trained exclusively via video, or in the systems mentioned- also, I bet there are some REAL strong kempo folks who are the products of video training...How is that for CYA? I like to be honest in my posts and go with my gut, but also admit that I am more student than teacher

Well put me in the "naysayer" category. I do not think it is useless but I would only recommend it in unusual instances. Like if you are in the middle of nowhere (Alaska comes to mind) and it is not feasible to get to a class.

Even then I would sooner drive 3 or 4 hours each way ONCE a week to train live, rather than video-learn every day... Just my opinion/ .02

What is your goal for this training? What is your training background? I would be willing to bet you have strong basics which is great but assuming this is a new style for you, EVEN the BASICS may be different

I cannot imagine watching it over and over at home, doing hundreds of repetitions of it only to visit the teacher a year later and have everything bass-ackwards or just plain wrong.....

"Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect"
    The above is just my opinion.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links