Thread: The first time you were knocked out

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,335 Posts

Default The first time you were knocked out

What happened the first time you were knocked out?
    Do you remember the punch that did you in.

My memory is very clear of the red headed southpaw that threw the left hook from nowhere that "cleaned my clock" so many years ago.

We're you PO'ed at the person or did you shrug it off as part of the cost of doing business?

Thanks

Default Re: The first time you were knocked out

Well, there are different definitions of being "knocked out." I've experienced the lights out, and where everything was very bright and indistinct for a bit- not really unconsciouse, but no awareness or sense of anything. Also dark and fuzzy.

What happened the first time you were knocked out? (I take it you mean in sparing) I collapsed. Totally. Sack o' spuds drop to a pile. Funny thing, though, I remember catching myself the first time, but not the trip down.
    Do you remember the punch that did you in. Spinning back knuckle.

We're you PO'ed at the person or did you shrug it off as part of the cost of doing business? Never got po'd at a sparing partner for winning.
    Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

Getting my nose broken in a tournament nearly knocked me out. I don't suppose that counts.

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

Thanks

I didn't get KOed, but I got a concussion and whiplash for an ex-special forces guy who couldn't control himself. My vision blurred and then I struck back hard until I got pulled away. He did a punch to the forehead for the concussion and an uppercut for the whiplash.

And then when our instructor talked to him he said that *I* had been getting him all night - but I can tell you I couldn't land a punch cuz he kept blocking me. I didn't land one until my vision blurred and I know I got him on the side then. He also claims he was toning it done..and maybe he did think he was, but not to the level of his opponents.

I should have forwarded him my chiro bills.

This guy was eventually kicked out. There had been complaints about his control prior. After this incident he ended up waiting in the parking lot for another classmate, because he thought the other guy fought dirty (Mike stepped on his foot - a common tactic)
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Mine was on the driving range. My dad was indroducing me to golf. He is a weekend golfer with no profession training. I was in my early twenties. I was standing on his left and he was showing me how to line up my feet, grip the driver, etc. No problems so far. Then he takes a full swing, slow; but, you can guess by now where the head goes on the backswing. I woke up with everyone on the driving range standing around me. I should have went to the hospital. The next day I was throwing up and had a massive headache for a week.
    More Shugyo!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Dear Kenpo brothers and sisters:

When I mentioned getting knocked out I was talking about a momentary loss of consciousness not neccesarily waking up in the hospital though that would certainly qualify!

A "typical" knockout could include the sensation of falling down a long hallway as the "walls" fade away and everything becomes dim. If your lucky you can sometimes recover from the head shot, shake it off and keep fighting.

On the street you either recover or die trying which is not a comforting concept for anyone.

It is good to know how you will react when hurt in order to determine how you will react in a kill or get killed situation.

Thanks

Knock on wood, but I have never been KO'd before.

But stating this humbly, I have KO'd a few opponent's over the years.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    What happened the first time you were knocked out?
    Do you remember the punch that did you in.

My memory is very clear of the red headed southpaw that threw the left hook from nowhere that "cleaned my clock" so many years ago.

We're you PO'ed at the person or did you shrug it off as part of the cost of doing business?
    Never been KO'd.

Had my head cracked open on a post from a front tackle I didn't see until the last minute ... got mad and broke a few of his ribs. I was working security.

I ate a back kick to the chin one tournament and was stunned but recovered right away ... could have been what they call a "flash knockout".

Nose broken once in a tournament bleed like crazy but I wanted to continue and actually never stopped fighting until the ref stopped it.

Stuborn Irishman I guess. Seems I have a hard head or have been very lucky.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

When I was a teenager we were in the wrong place at the wrong time and got jumped by a bunch of guys. When I came around we were in the car. Apparently me friends ran after the initial assault and I came wandering down the alley a while later. They took me back to the car and that's about when I came to. I can't say that I remember any of it.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I got knocked in the ring on more than one occasion..I have no problems admiting defeat lol, i give entertaining falls to the canvas J/K or from what i hear anyway...
    I was guilty of dropping my right hand just a tad bit when i would throw a left hook (getting ready to follow up with a straight right)
    dont know why i would drop it though....got if fixed now
    so i threw a left hook kinda went to follow it up and i ate a vicious left hook i remember the hit but nothing else...Apparently i was asleep and woke up to smelling salt, i was able to walk out of the ring, but i do remember wondering what the heck happened, then i put two and two together and voila...oh well its gonna happen sooner or later

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

they tell me it was a spinning back hand.

i just had to take their word for it. i was standing, and then i wasnt.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0DazE View Post
    they tell me it was a spinning back hand.

i just had to take their word for it. i was standing, and then i wasnt.
    That would do it. I have been "dazed" a couple of times. The first was catching a side-kick right into the face (was also the first time I ever got a bloddy nose on the mat). He told he felt bad but, it made up for the spinning back knuckle I had caught him with earlier. He said he didn't know that his head could tilt that way while he was still standing up.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

My first knock out was my first tournament fight as a Blck Belt. I fought John Palitti who hit right on the chin. Luckily my butt landing on the hard floor jolted me back to reality. The really funny thing is John was my referee in my very first tournament I competed in as an Orange Belt.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Notice how many have fallen victim to the spinning back knuckle strike? Some of the "traditional" arts say this isn't an effective strike. I can say for a fact, it is- having used it and fallen victim to it many times (only the one knock out by it, though).

Just an observation.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Dear Dan C:

10-4 on that spinning back fist! I was a miight dazed muself when an opponent bounced several off of both sides of my head in a tournament. I had walked into the technique by repeating the same attack more than once.

Spinning back kicks are terrible as well. Once in class I caught one in the kidney. It made an instant believer out of me.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Like Jamie, knock on wood, I've never been knocked out like that. Now violent collisions on the rugby and or football field is another story. Well maybe I should refine the intial statement. When training in Ju Jitsu we worked knock outs with chokes, but that was just in the course of training.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

I have never been knocked out, but I have passed out from loss of blood. It's a really happy place to go. I remember that I was upset that I was being brought back with smelling salts.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Many, many years ago, when training as a Brown Belt, I took a spinning heel hook in the throat from a friend of mine. That dumped me for a minute or two. Been pretty fortunate since then. I learned a really important lesson on that day ...

BLOCK!!!!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Block.

Good advice.

Can't say I've been knocked out, of course I haven't been doing Kenpo that long either.
    Loyal student of Sifu DangeRuss
    Sam Pai Kenpo

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat." -Bruce Lee

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links