Thread: Facing death with Kenpo

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,335 Posts

Default Facing death with Kenpo

Dear Brothers and sisters:
    How many of you all have faced death or serious injury outside of the dojo with your kenpo skills?
    What happened? Were you afraid?
    Have you ever replaced your fear instinct with anger in order to conquer the emotion?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Facing death with Kenpo

My experiences have all been prior to Kenpo training. I do not tend to get angry. There is fear. I become very calm and focused. There was a quick prayer for wisdom and protection. I have handled it mentally and verbally and the physical aspect did not materialize. I realize that it could have and I am sure it would have been difficult to ID me later. I prefer to thank God for his protection because I certainly was not capable of doing it myself.
    Hands on Healer

"If you can not be King be a healer."

"The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"

Thanks

I have been able to either walk or talk my way out of every potential fight. Can't say as I have used Kenpo, but I am such a new student, that right now what Kenpo is doing for me is building my confidence, and strengthing my body. I gain new concepts/insights everyday.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Dear Brothers and sisters:
    How many of you all have faced death or serious injury outside of the dojo with your kenpo skills?
    What happened? Were you afraid?
    Have you ever replaced your fear instinct with anger in order to conquer the emotion?
    Years ago I was a bouncer and got into a tussle with a GT Football player while I "asked" him to leave.

Things happened so fast there was no time for emotions.

Long story short ... my head was cracked open and I broke 3 of his ribs (found this out in court later), cops took him away and I got sewn up.

I was more angry that I was bleeding but not really hurt, kind of surprised me actually. Long time ago in a galaxy far far away.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Dear Florida:
    Interesting story about the GT guy. We had more problems with prison guards who were ex plow jockeys. I found the 300 lbs.+ folks needed a specail "touch" to herd them out the door. We worked two come alongs on each side of the guy and we're able to move things along that way.

Things happening very quickly is the way it goes. What used to amaze me was how I lost memory of just what happened. One minute the guy was swinging, the next he was stretched out on the floor. One time I was ready to do the DOD on the guy until "thank God" a bartender pulled me off the guy. Most folks don't realize how easy it is to accidently kill or severly injure someone and end up in prison regardless of your training.

One of my points was the ability to turn the emotion of fear into anger in order to overcome freezing in fright. When I taught women's self defense years ago I used to train the heads of the gals I worked with to allow themselves to get angry at the guy and not to freeze up. We drilled on reflex response to various attacks and did a lot of work on the mats as well.

Thanks for your response!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Dear Florida:
    Interesting story about the GT guy. We had more problems with prison guards who were ex plow jockeys. I found the 300 lbs.+ folks needed a specail "touch" to herd them out the door. We worked two come alongs on each side of the guy and we're able to move things along that way.

Things happening very quickly is the way it goes. What used to amaze me was how I lost memory of just what happened. One minute the guy was swinging, the next he was stretched out on the floor. One time I was ready to do the DOD on the guy until "thank God" a bartender pulled me off the guy. Most folks don't realize how easy it is to accidently kill or severly injure someone and end up in prison regardless of your training.

One of my points was the ability to turn the emotion of fear into anger in order to overcome freezing in fright. When I taught women's self defense years ago I used to train the heads of the gals I worked with to allow themselves to get angry at the guy and not to freeze up. We drilled on reflex response to various attacks and did a lot of work on the mats as well.

Thanks for your response!
    My pleasure, good topic.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I usually don't like to share this experience because it I feel like I should have never put myself in the situation in the first place but you live and learn. I'll try to leave out as many details as possible to shorten it. I was on my way home from work one night and I stopped off at the gas station a block away from my house. When I was at the pump a woman approached me and asked if I would be interested in making some extra gas money but I told her I wasn't interested but she persisted and started telling me her sistuation about how her and her bf got into a fight and he left her there and she didn't know where she was and the people who were going to pick her up had their car break down on them etc... I didn't really believe her but the gas station clerk that I talk to almost every day confirmed everything she said. She offered to pay me for the miles and It was only a 15 minute drive so I caved in and gave her the ride. Halfway there she changed her destination and I'm not cruel enough to leave her in the middle of nowhere so long story short I ended up driving around at 3am in the west side of Detroit (west side = bad area). She finially pointed out some run down house and asked to be let off there. So I stopped she said thanks and proceeded to get out with paying for the quarter tank of gas I just ran through. I was already annoyed for driving more then what I originally agreed to so I got out and walk around my car to confront her about it. When I brought it up she got furious and pulled out a pocket knife from her purse (only a 2" blade, but a knife none the less) I imidiately backed off and told her I was sorry while she started to threaten me and tell me that she didn't have any money. I wasn't paying too close attention to what she was telling me because I was more concerned about her pointing a knife at me. In mid sentence she moved a little too close for comfort by taking a short step towards me. Without really thinking, I snapped out a front kick which caught her in the lower abdoman. She hunched over and feel down while letting out a gasp. I could tell by her reaction that i knocked the wind out of her and I was overwhelmed with guilt and I almost wanted to help her back up. I mean for all I know she could have been pregnant. But just as the guilt started to set in she started screaming "RICKY!!!" I noticed the lights flick on in the house she was walking to and saw multiple silohuettes moving around inside. I didn't know who was gonna come out of that house or with what so I ran back to my truck and got the f*** outta there. I had no clue where I was and luckily I ran came across a familiar road and made my way home. I dunno if that qualifies as a life threatening situation but I doubt if I stuck around things would have gotten any better. Just thinking about it makes a nervous feeling creep up in my stomach. Its funny how out of all the training that i've done the only thing i've used is a front kick, a technique I was tought on one of my first fews day of training.
    "A warrior's ultimate act is to put down his sword"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessRising View Post
    I usually don't like to share this experience because it I feel like I should have never put myself in the situation in the first place but you live and learn. I'll try to leave out as many details as possible to shorten it. I was on my way home from work one night and I stopped off at the gas station a block away from my house. When I was at the pump a woman approached me and asked if I would be interested in making some extra gas money but I told her I wasn't interested but she persisted and started telling me her sistuation about how her and her bf got into a fight and he left her there and she didn't know where she was and the people who were going to pick her up had their car break down on them etc... I didn't really believe her but the gas station clerk that I talk to almost every day confirmed everything she said. She offered to pay me for the miles and It was only a 15 minute drive so I caved in and gave her the ride. Halfway there she changed her destination and I'm not cruel enough to leave her in the middle of nowhere so long story short I ended up driving around at 3am in the west side of Detroit (west side = bad area). She finially pointed out some run down house and asked to be let off there. So I stopped she said thanks and proceeded to get out with paying for the quarter tank of gas I just ran through. I was already annoyed for driving more then what I originally agreed to so I got out and walk around my car to confront her about it. When I brought it up she got furious and pulled out a pocket knife from her purse (only a 2" blade, but a knife none the less) I imidiately backed off and told her I was sorry while she started to threaten me and tell me that she didn't have any money. I wasn't paying too close attention to what she was telling me because I was more concerned about her pointing a knife at me. In mid sentence she moved a little too close for comfort by taking a short step towards me. Without really thinking, I snapped out a front kick which caught her in the lower abdoman. She hunched over and feel down while letting out a gasp. I could tell by her reaction that i knocked the wind out of her and I was overwhelmed with guilt and I almost wanted to help her back up. I mean for all I know she could have been pregnant. But just as the guilt started to set in she started screaming "RICKY!!!" I noticed the lights flick on in the house she was walking to and saw multiple silohuettes moving around inside. I didn't know who was gonna come out of that house or with what so I ran back to my truck and got the f*** outta there. I had no clue where I was and luckily I ran came across a familiar road and made my way home. I dunno if that qualifies as a life threatening situation but I doubt if I stuck around things would have gotten any better. Just thinking about it makes a nervous feeling creep up in my stomach. Its funny how out of all the training that i've done the only thing i've used is a front kick, a technique I was tought on one of my first fews day of training.
    Hard to be a good samaratian these days ... glad you made it out unscathed and with a lesson for yourself.

Thanks for sharing the story.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

I usually don't like to share this experience because it I feel like I should have never put myself in the situation in the first place but you live and learn.
    Glad you made it out ok!

You deserve a salute for handling this situation the best way you could. Situations like this makes it pretty hard to help others.

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Dear Endless:

Great post brother!
    Hell yes it qualifies as life threatening! You could have been stabbed or shot very easily.

I once had a gal swing a folding chair at me full force sideways when her boyfriend got popped in the face by someone else for being drunk and disorderly. I did a downward outward block and stopped the chair. The concussion shook me all the way up my arm but the block worked!
    I also got slugged once breaking two drunk gals up who were in a fight.
    I was a sucker for not going into the situation on full alert. The punch hurt by the way!

Word to the wise. The best way to break up two gals fighting is with a bucket of water! You will be bit, scratched. kicked and punched if you're not careful.

A further word. I know you're all vienna choir boys and would never violate the law. Stay away from hookers! I've seen them steal and disarm John's who didn't even realize they were being had. Us men are so stupid sometimes. You know what I mean?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

As a former bouncer and someone who has done some security work for visiting celebrities, I have had to use my skills a few times. There is always fear in a confrontation, the minute you stop being scared you are no longer human, but you can use it to your advantage.

I have taken a knife out of a guys hand with out even realizing I was reaching out and grabbing it by the blade where it meets the handle. He was so shocked that he did not even realize what was happening until he was disarmed, and my shin was on it way to his groin. It wasn't til after we had this guy out of the bar and into the arms of the awaiting police officers. It was then the the real fear set in, when I realized how easily I could have been hurt or worse. On the other side of the coin we did not have a fight in that bar for almost a year after that night.

After that I always approached situation with a little more caution, thankfully it wasn't a lesson I learned the hard way.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for the support. I always think If I tell that story I'll be criticized for doing the wrong thing or getting involved in the first place. I really should have known to stay away. Looking back on the situation I really doubt she was prepared to use the knife. her hand was shaking pretty bad, I think she was afraid just as much as i was. I also think I could have just as easily ran back to my vehicle before she got me. I'm just really lucky she didn't have a gun.
    "A warrior's ultimate act is to put down his sword"

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I've been in situations at an old job. I think working with inmates in a max. security facility will qualify. The only thing I wish to share is that in most cases of choas, riot or confrontation you quickly learn that it truely will be you or them. You just do what you need to do. I found that if you respected them, for the most part they respect you. But there are some looking to make names in there. You just need to be alert and realize the impossible situation is possible. Unlike you they have every second of everyday to think of ways to attack you, other guards or fellow inmates. In all situations anything is possible with the creative shanks and weapons they fashion. I think that after every sort of sitation to be involved that if you let anger in, you are setting yourself up for failure. It will just cloud your judgement and leave yourself vulnerable to attacks from other inmates.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for the support. I always think If I tell that story I'll be criticized for doing the wrong thing or getting involved in the first place. I really should have known to stay away. Looking back on the situation I really doubt she was prepared to use the knife. her hand was shaking pretty bad, I think she was afraid just as much as i was. I also think I could have just as easily ran back to my vehicle before she got me. I'm just really lucky she didn't have a gun.
    You lived to fight antoher day and that is what is important. Things could have spun out of control in a hurry in the situation you decribed. You did the right thing and that should be commended.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

while not as serious in comparison.. i've avoided many serious shots to the groin.. from learning to body for a cupcheck in class... always by accident, someone turning around to fast while holding something like a broom.. something i was pulling on slipping.. it's become a 6th sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I too had an experience at a gas station that involved a knife. Let's just say there is a Mexican out there somewhere, supposedly back in Mexico according to the cops, that now is half blind with a speech impedement.

I think most people that have found themselves in this situation found it surreal. When remembering it, it all seems like it went down in slow motion. I don't recall any emotion DURING the event. I refer to it as being in "kenpo-mode." The "kenpo" just kind of took over and in the end I was like Steve Urkle, "Did I do that?"
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    The "kenpo" just kind of took over and in the end I was like Steve Urkle, "Did I do that?"
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

In 1990 while serving in the 1st gulf War I was assignrd to P.O.W. Detail. While securing prisones an Iraqi attempted to stab me with a knife. without thinking I executed an on the spot modified ( grafted version of) 5 Swords/ Grip of Death. That effectively incapasitated/ disarmed the prisoner. I don't remember being angry. All that flashed in my mind was me not ever seeing my family again.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links