Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One inch punch

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,335 Posts

Default One inch punch

Dear Kenpo brother's and sister's:

How many here have practiced the technique of a one inch punch?

Do you use a half fist to the front, sides or both? Is there any other hand strike position that uses similiar principles? Is the "hand of the dragon" in the same category?

Do you all consider this move a "parlor trick" or a real strike with combat implications?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Re: One inch punch

A parlor trick...
    or at best.......an exercise.
    NOT useful.

Many of the strikes in American Kenpo are very effective at short ranges, sure, but one inch?

I think you might want to take your question too www.martialtalk.com, there you'll find people in the Jeet Kune Do area...and maybe the Wing-Chun area who're more "into" moves like this.

take it easy..
    Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

I was taught the "one inch punch" but with a somewhat different description of it merely traveling one inch to reach it's intended target.

If the power we generate comes from the earth, it has to move roughly 6 or so feet in order to reach the intended target.

It's also important to use a tool like that at the right time.

A rock doesn't have to move very fast to stub your toe.

Thanks

i've done a similar application. you have an verticle open hand with your fingertips on your partner's chest.. and you drop the handsword downward from that position.. its to show you how well your power is being relayed.. you can do it with a heelpalm too with a horizontal hand.

my old roomate did Tai Chi and would practice his Fah Jing to extinguish candles.. i think his record was a lil under 2' away. something like that.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    A parlor trick...
    or at best.......an exercise.
    NOT useful.

Many of the strikes in American Kenpo are very effective at short ranges, sure, but one inch?

I think you might want to take your question too www.martialtalk.com, there you'll find people in the Jeet Kune Do area...and maybe the Wing-Chun area who're more "into" moves like this.

take it easy..
    Your Brother
    John
    a parlor trick if you think you are going to fight with it. On the other hand it is a good way to get feedback on how well you can recruit your body to aid in the punch. in other words are you punching with your body or just your arms. By the way, it's a cool parlor trick. a couple of years ago Rainer Schulte hit me harder with a one inch punch than many can punch with a regular punch.

Jeff

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenpodoc For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (05-09-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for your comments!

I know that this type of strike is used in other systems including JKD but I wasn't sure if it had any Parker system history.

Do to the fact that I came from a Hybrid kenpo background I'm finding it somewhat difficult to trace my "roots" if you will.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,482 Posts

It's not a parlor trick. Wing Chun people can use it effectively. Spend some time with some skilled Wing Chun people and they can help you understand it better. It ain't magic, but it takes time to develop, like anything.

Given Wing Chun's tendency for close range, firing strikes from a trapping situation, it is a technique that works within the context of how Wing Chun approaches fighting.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (05-09-2007),thedan (05-09-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I doubt that it could be used as a devastating end all, knock out strike, but it could be useful in certain stiuations, like Flying Crane stated, from a trapping situation.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Maybe go back and review film of Bruce Lee and James DeMille (A student of Bruce Lee). Mr. DeMill published a book on the development and use of the one inch punch many years ago. I used to have a copy, and thought it insightful. Hard to find, but worth a look at any rate.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    It's not a parlor trick. Wing Chun people can use it effectively. Spend some time with some skilled Wing Chun people and they can help you understand it better. It ain't magic, but it takes time to develop, like anything.

Given Wing Chun's tendency for close range, firing strikes from a trapping situation, it is a technique that works within the context of how Wing Chun approaches fighting.
    I can vouch for that. I think that I still have bruises from the last time I work out with a Wing Chun practiontioner.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks

I think there are several different ways that this concept can be utilized other than it being performed in the typical bruce lee fashion, standing sideways and moving laterally.
    A short range hook punch driven by the hips has a load of power behind it.
    It's all about connecting the upper body with the lower body at the crucial moment to transfer the mechanical energy efficiently.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Dear Cat:

Great comment brother!
    I'll check it out in the next couple of days and see how it works for me.
    Thanks once again.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

If I can use this strike in close range to lift my opponent of the ground even an inch or two, then it has served its purpose-to keep control of my opponent. I am not saying it can't be used destructively. We spent about 30 minutes a few months ago trying to work it from an intended clinch position. Most guys weren't capable of creating the kind of damage that maybe a Wing Chun guy could, but they did create imbalance and space. Just a thought on our experiences.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kenpo dreams are the sweetest.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warrior-scholar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-scholar View Post
    Most guys weren't capable of creating the kind of damage that maybe a Wing Chun guy could, but they did create imbalance and space.
    Interesting comment, and this illustrates the problem with simply mixing and matching things from one system to another. Some systems have a very specific approach to training and developing power and useful techniques, and it can be entirely different from another system. If this is the case, the adopted technique will never reach the same potential that it has in its parent system.

What is lacking is the framework upon which the technique is built. This framework exists in Wing Chun, but not in kenpo. Sounds like what is happening is that you are attempting to adopt a technique that you lack the basic foundation to properly understand. You may get some use out of it, but without proper Wing Chun training it will always be second-rate.
    Michael

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    Interesting comment, and this illustrates the problem with simply mixing and matching things from one system to another. Some systems have a very specific approach to training and developing power and useful techniques, and it can be entirely different from another system. If this is the case, the adopted technique will never reach the same potential that it has in its parent system.

What is lacking is the framework upon which the technique is built. This framework exists in Wing Chun, but not in kenpo. Sounds like what is happening is that you are attempting to adopt a technique that you lack the basic foundation to properly understand. You may get some use out of it, but without proper Wing Chun training it will always be second-rate.
    Michael, this is precisely the point i was trying to make on the classical mess thread about one instructors fluff being anothers meat.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Notice I said we only spent about 30 minutes on it too. No way in heck is that enough time to make a conclusive statement. My point was that the concept could be used for different purposes. I definitely believe in the destructive power of such a technique. We only looked at it once because of a student's inquiry. I have no intention of claiming we can use such a strike as a part of our normal training based on one 1/2 hour.

There are many things we simply don't have the time to train and must be content with focusing on our framework, while exploring other ideas for knowledge. I don't even expect these guys to develop 2nd rate ability because they aren't training the punch. Instead of claiming to use the one inch punch as a power strike I wanted them to focus in on the idea of moving an opponent and creating space when they are in close. This coincides with our daily training.

Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kenpo dreams are the sweetest.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

We limit our dreams by our expectations. If we believe that we are lacking in preparedness and skill to incorporate a technique from another style we will live down to our expectations.

Their is nothing mystical or mind altering in this techniques that I can see as I believe it is all about proper body alignment and weight transfer. Mental imaging or visualization does not seem to be a factor here at all, just proper mechanics and simple physics. Most students have not been schooled in the proper way of developing power in close quarters.

Thanks to everyone for your comments!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post
    Michael, this is precisely the point i was trying to make on the classical mess thread about one instructors fluff being anothers meat.

Good point, well said.
    Michael

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-scholar View Post
    Notice I said we only spent about 30 minutes on it too. No way in heck is that enough time to make a conclusive statement. My point was that the concept could be used for different purposes. I definitely believe in the destructive power of such a technique. We only looked at it once because of a student's inquiry. I have no intention of claiming we can use such a strike as a part of our normal training based on one 1/2 hour.

There are many things we simply don't have the time to train and must be content with focusing on our framework, while exploring other ideas for knowledge. I don't even expect these guys to develop 2nd rate ability because they aren't training the punch. Instead of claiming to use the one inch punch as a power strike I wanted them to focus in on the idea of moving an opponent and creating space when they are in close. This coincides with our daily training.

Thanks
    I understand what you are saying, and I didn't mean to come across as harsh or overly critical. If I did, I apologize.

Of course one half-hour session wouldn't enable anyone to ever develop anything if it was never pursued beyond that. I only mean to say that if one did pursue the one inch punch, but did it without the proper approach to training, and without the proper basics beneath it, it will remain second rate. If the proper training methods were adopted with the technique itself, and it were trained consistently, then it could be better developed.

My observation was based on a tendency by many people to think they can just pick and choose from many arts, mix it up and expect it to work. But any technique needs to be trained within the proper context. Some techniques are common to many arts and they wouldn't be too difficult to adapt. But others, like the one-inch punch are more specific and must be trained properly or they just don't account for much.

I didn't mean to imply that I was accusing you of this. More like me thinking (and typing) out loud .
    Michael

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post

We limit our dreams by our expectations. If we believe that we are lacking in preparedness and skill to incorporate a technique from another style we will live down to our expectations.

Their is nothing mystical or mind altering in this techniques that I can see as I believe it is all about proper body alignment and weight transfer. Mental imaging or visualization does not seem to be a factor here at all, just proper mechanics and simple physics. Most students have not been schooled in the proper way of developing power in close quarters.

Thanks to everyone for your comments!
    In my own experiences with Wing Chun (which admittedly are not extremely advanced, and also I admit that I don't have a highly developed one-inch punch) there is a method that the art uses to develop power at close range. Both power, and explosive movement are developed that are fairly specific to Wing Chun, and while Kenpo does have both of these, it seems to me that they are different. In my opinion, this is why the one-inch punch doesn't just translate well into kenpo, nor probably many other systems. Perhaps some, if their approach is similar enough, but probably not many.
    Michael

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links