Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throw Away Wallet

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Throw Away Wallet

In the August issue of Black Belt magazine there is an article advocating carrying a second wallet with you when you will be in less reputable areas to hand to a mugger if demanded. That way they are not getting most of your cash, your credit cards, your id with your address etc...

What do you think of this idea?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: Throw Away Wallet

I personally lean toward carrying a claymore wallet. Just make sure the stripe faces you when you hand it to him!

Seriousely, I suppose it might work. But you'd have to have a whole new mindset and a good plan. Wouldn't do to have him see you use the real one, then mug you and have you hand him the fake.

Dan C

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    I personally lean toward carrying a claymore wallet. Just make sure the stripe faces you when you hand it to him!

Seriousely, I suppose it might work. But you'd have to have a whole new mindset and a good plan. Wouldn't do to have him see you use the real one, then mug you and have you hand him the fake.

Dan C
    Most muggings happen in less visible areas. One of the ideas in the article was, when asked to give the wallet you toss it at them, and run in a diagonal direction away from them. They have no choice but to flinch and that gives you a couple seconds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Most muggings happen in less visible areas.
    True. But often a mugger will "interview" his mark prior to the act. One method is to watch the mark, looking for signs that he is easy prey and that he has something worth the risk of stealing. You walk blissfully from the well lit and public store to a less crowded and less well lit parking lot, and toss him a wallet from a different pocket than the one he saw you use in the store- even a stupid mugger might think something is fishy. And I don't know about throwing the wallet at his face. It may have a high probability of working. But, he might think you are attacking, panic, and pull the trigger or charge with the knife.

Who wrote that article? I suppose it is worth considering this in some cases, but I'm not convinced it is a good thing most of the time. Besides, I have enough trouble keeping up with one of the things.

Dan C

Thanks

It was by Jim Wagner, who instructs urban combat defense to civilians and Law Enforcement Personel.

Thanks

HMMM. I've seen some of his writing, and it was pretty good. Might be worth trying, but I'd still suggest you keep in mind it isn't foolproof. But, then, neither is the claymore- thing might go off if you sit on it wrong!

Dan C

Thanks

If I thought for sure the person was going to try and stab or shoot or beat me when they had my wallet, I would definitely consider throwing it in their face

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    If I thought for sure the person was going to try and stab or shoot or beat me when they had my wallet, I would definitely consider throwing it in their face
    Yes.

Dan C

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

See I really dont have a need for a throw away wallet. 99% of the time I have something much harder and heavier to throw. At school I have my backpack and/or indoor soccer shoes ( 'who throws a shoe...'). Going to or from work I have my box cutter and work keys on a lanyard (hmm razor blade sheethed in heavy plastic attached to keys on a stretchy plastic cord, I'm seein a new weapons form here.. lol). And if all else fails I have my cell phone, which serves two purposes, first calling cops, second denting their face, and lemme tell you denting someones face would be about the only use i get out of the damn thing.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I read that article. The problem is for most persons who have never been under duress / stress in that situation are they really going to think about which wallet to give. I think it's a good idea but I believe many people will fall into the catagory of "I can't believe this is happening to me" shock and may not be thinking which is my real or fake wallet.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

I think its a good idea but probably not to practical. I already carry to much stuff as it is let alone worry about another wallet.

Wagner has tons of experience so I am sure this has worked for people he knows.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I remember a street safe seminar on PBS once where the ex-cop said the just fold 2 one dollar bills with a paper clip and keep it in your front pocket, then if the bad guy stops you, you toss the money on the ground run away screeming "fire fire" since every one likes to watch a good fire....

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dcastiglione View Post
    I remember a street safe seminar on PBS once where the ex-cop said the just fold 2 one dollar bills with a paper clip and keep it in your front pocket, then if the bad guy stops you, you toss the money on the ground run away screeming "fire fire" since every one likes to watch a good fire....
    One Problem. The Bad guy might actually decide to fire.

Coming froma family with law enfrocement officers I can see some possible validity to a second wallet but, as stated earlier a lot of mugger chose their mark after watching them. So, a second wallet could get you into more trouble in the first place. Your best weapon is awareness try not to put yourself in the position of vunerability in the first place. Be aware of your surroundings is should be your first line of defense.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I read the article. It seems like a good idea at first, but as previously stated too much trouble and not practical. If I'm going to use a "dummy" wallet then I'll use the one that carries my Kel-Tech .380. It has a wallet holster so as to appear like a wallet in my back pocket.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Sounds like it might work.
    Owner & Chief Instructor
    Law Enforcement Asst Instructor
    Krav Fit Now
    www.kravfitnow.com
    281-687-4183

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by masherdong View Post
    Sounds like it might work.
    My wallet or the other one? LOL.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    If I'm going to use a "dummy" wallet then I'll use the one that carries my Kel-Tech .380. It has a wallet holster so as to appear like a wallet in my back pocket.
    Ah, yes- good plan! The .380/9mm Kurtz is one of the most underated rounds out there, in my opinion. As long as you understand its' limmitations and learn to work with them, I think it is the most effective small cal. light duty round there is. Course, you should look into the legal consequences should you get caught with or have to use a concealed firearm. If the ACLU gets involved, I'd then opt for the claymore!

Dan C

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    Ah, yes- good plan! The .380/9mm Kurtz is one of the most underated rounds out there, in my opinion. As long as you understand its' limmitations and learn to work with them, I think it is the most effective small cal. light duty round there is. Course, you should look into the legal consequences should you get caught with or have to use a concealed firearm. If the ACLU gets involved, I'd then opt for the claymore!

Dan C
    No worries. I play by the rules. I have a conceal/carry permit.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

My boyfriend carries a dummy wallet with his check card and some outdated auto ins ID cards in it. The real wallet is in his front pocket with his ID and cash and appears to be a business card holder. That way the fake appears to be authentic, and is something he actually uses... so if folks are watching him, they might be fooled. He can cancel a check card.

We've talked about the pros and cons of it before... and I still don't know if I think it will work or not. I hope never to find out.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks

I'm more worried about pickpockets, so I try not to carry money around with me period.
    But I've also read somewhere about muggers who are desparate for their crack getting pretty damn agitated when they don't get the money they think they need.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links