View Poll Results: Would you feel guilty for using you skills to defend yourself?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 12.00%
  • No

22 88.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guilt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Guilt

Who would have feelings of guilt if they had to use their skills to defend themselves.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: Guilt

I would not feel very guilty at all. The only time I would use it would be when there is no other choice, especially if my families or fiance's life is in danger.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

My EPAK teacher, Juan Serrano, says that there's a line between defending yourself and abusing someone. As long as I was defending myself I wouldn't feel guilty at all.

However, if I did some of the EPAK techniques that have you continue to attack someone who is lying face down on the ground already or break someone's neck or blind someone who threw a punch at me...yeah, I'd feel pretty guilty about that after the adrenaline/testosterone levels returned to normal.

Maybe I'm just a latent pacifist or something (or some other p-word?), but that's how I "roll."

Chris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Who would have feelings of guilt if they had to use their skills to defend themselves.
    That's like asking "Who's too stupid to study Kenpo?"

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Sometimes, even if I know I am doing the right thing, I would feel guilty knowing that I hurt another human being. That would go for self-defense as well. Maybe more so if I maimed someone in the process. I might think: "I'm capable of that?"
    "Let the wookie win."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I would feel guilty to an extent, especially if my actions were beyond what was called for.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks

Could the fear of guilt or fear of hurting someone endanger you?

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Even if they deserved it I would still feel guilty hurting someone. I believe I would feel guilty but it wouldn't stop from defending myself. I'd rather defend myself and feel guilty after than not defend myself and regret stopping myself from reacting.
    "A warrior's ultimate act is to put down his sword"

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I would rather feel the pain of guilt than to feel nothing at all b/c I was in a box burried six feet under ground.

I accidentally hurt someone b/f when they snuck up on me and did something they shouldn't have... but I didn't let it eat me up. I apologized and we're still good friends. Like most things, it's up to the specific situation. All of this is IMO.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks

i wouldnt feel guilt at all.
    But if i had to defend myself, it was my last option available which means i gave the other person a chance to forget about it.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

The only way I would feel guilty is if I lost control. If someone is posing harm to me and my family and I've done my absolute best to either walk away or talk it out, then no. I think if you show your control you have won the mental apect of the conflict. When your painted into a corner and have to use your knowledge then there should only be guilt if you went overboard to the point of beating a fallen person just to beat them.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

If my life or the life of my family was potentially in danger, and avoiding the circumstance was not possible, then I would do whatever I have to do at all costs to win, and without guilt.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I would not fear feeling guilty (as a human I often do). The fear of hurting someone might endanger me, but I do not think I would feel that "in the moment" I or someone I loved was being attacked.

Recognizing that I would feel guilty after the fact is not the same as fearing guilt feelings.
    "Let the wookie win."

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    If my life or the life of my family was potentially in danger, and avoiding the circumstance was not possible, then I would do whatever I have to do at all costs to win, and without guilt.

I agree 100%.
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I guess for me guilt would not be the an adequate word. Would I feel guilty about using my skills? No. Would I feel sorrow for the end result? Yes. I love Kempo and if I am in a situation that doesn't leave any other viable option I will use it that being said, the sorrow I feel would be the impact that it will have on someone else. Yes they started the situation and chose to push it to the point where I was unable to turn back but, as foolish as they are they will reap the consquences of that decision.

That being said, will I spend the rest of my life in anguish over it? No. I know from experience that every person that we come into contact with leaves a mark large or small in our own lives. The strength in character resides not in our ability to to feel or not feel guilt but, to remember that at the end of the day we still have to continue to live our owm lives.

Just my .02
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks

I have used my skills in the past to defend myself, and i have used them a couple times to defend others, 9primarily a young mother across the road that was being beaten by her boyfriend) and I have to say I have no guilt or remorse from what I did to him or anyone else I have hit.

As for letting the fear of guilt stop me from defending myself, I can't see it happening to me but I know it has happened to others.

Thanks

Well no to both of your questions but I have another point to make. I think sometimes the fear of legal repercussions may endanger me. With the laws and court system seeming to favor the criminal more so than the law abiding citizen yes I would think twice about some aspects of self defense.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi View Post
    Well no to both of your questions but I have another point to make. I think sometimes the fear of legal repercussions may endanger me. With the laws and court system seeming to favor the criminal more so than the law abiding citizen yes I would think twice about some aspects of self defense.

Ed Parker said it best for this one. "it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Takai View Post
    I guess for me guilt would not be the an adequate word. Would I feel guilty about using my skills? No. Would I feel sorrow for the end result? Yes. I love Kempo and if I am in a situation that doesn't leave any other viable option I will use it that being said, the sorrow I feel would be the impact that it will have on someone else. Yes they started the situation and chose to push it to the point where I was unable to turn back but, as foolish as they are they will reap the consquences of that decision.

That being said, will I spend the rest of my life in anguish over it? No. I know from experience that every person that we come into contact with leaves a mark large or small in our own lives. The strength in character resides not in our ability to to feel or not feel guilt but, to remember that at the end of the day we still have to continue to live our owm lives.

Just my .02
    That's what I was trying to get across as well. I do not think it would be debilitating guilt, but I would have remorse.
    "Let the wookie win."

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardawamtu View Post
    That's what I was trying to get across as well. I do not think it would be debilitating guilt, but I would have remorse.
    That's exactly what I was saying.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links