Thread: My Confession

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default My Confession

I hate to admit to this but... It has been over 2 years since I've actively trained. I feel absolutely horrible about it. For more than a couple reasons. Chief among them I made a promise to my instructor that I would continue with my training no matter what. Secondly I have let my technique go. My basics are even starting to slip. There are days when I'm reading here or over on MT that I no longer consider myself a martial artist. This comes from my belief that one thing that separates a martial artist from the general population is self discipline. Which if I had more of I would still be training. *sigh*

Just thought I should be out with it. Let the public beatings begin (please
    )
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: My Confession

That is very noble to try and fall on your sword to try and get the heat off somoen else. The other matter will be resolved very shortly and then we will get back to you.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

take that!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post
    take that!

This is what I was hoping for. Public chastising, and a good swift kick in the butt to get me back into training.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

thanks. i'm cool'n off.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

With today being a complete day off from everything (both work and school) it has been a day of reflection. Not 3 years ago I was training 6 days a week, both on my own and regular classes. I rarely discussed my training in casual conversation especially with people who didn't really know me. Yet now that I'm not training just the other day I was talking to a classmate and I brought it up out of the blue. Looking at it now it seems like I was really telling myself that I am a martial artist, not the person I was talking to, as they could care less. I find it a little more than amusing that I am proud to tell another person that I train in martial arts, yet when I come home I just sit around and don't actually train. Hypocritical of me.

Thanks

I dont train at a school right now.......but i want to get a study group going.

and I dont train as often as i should.......right now that is.

But the first thing you need to do is self motivate.

get off your butt and start working forms and basics solo and get them tight again.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dubljay View Post
    . It has been over 2 years since I've actively trained. I feel absolutely horrible about it. For more than a couple reasons. Chief among them I made a promise to my instructor that I would continue with my training no matter what.

Just thought I should be out with it. Let the public beatings begin (please
    )
    Well I can relate to this on two notes.

1) I was an instructor and the truth is ,almost every student makes that promise when they start not showing up or have not been in in some time... probably less than 10 % actually come back.

2) After I quit being an instructor (didnt pay the best) and going to college, I made the same promise to my own instructor. How Ironic I was away for long while being a college senoir then travelling for work...I also didnt train for the most part of two years.

I am now almost on my second year back. It took me the better part of a year to just dust off the cobwebs.

I always knew I would be back, but I had to wait till the time was right for my life to be able to support going to class. So the best thing you can do is just go. It is going to suck and you will probably even feel embaressed but once you accidently fall back into your old habits... it is all worth it.

BTW alot of people come back strong then taper off again, almost like a crappy diet

Dont be like that 90%, get your ass back there... but only when you are ready to commit.
    Lee
    MLKKA

"Getting your first Black Belt is like graduating from kindergarten... you have only just earned the right to learn." ~Me

Thanks

I've stopped and started more than a few times and it usually takes me about a year to get back into the swing of things.

I don't feel right if I'm not doing kenpo.

It'll all come back.

At least you're thinking about it. That's good.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

the dragon is just sleeping.

the past couple of months I can hardly call what I've been doing real training. I only get one long workout a week as of late.

being disciplined is hard, but being on the forum and surrounding yourself with martial arts concepts and principles... and a kenpo family... you're sure to find yourself back in the swing before you know it.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links