Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Visual Impairments

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    2,796
    Thanks
    578
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

    Default Visual Impairments

    My eyes are not that great - I need correction to drive safely, however I can read my monitor without it.

    I typically train in contacts, sometimes I have to wear my glasses to class.

    One day I had the glasses, and had to spar. So I took the glasses off and went "blind". Long story short, the taste of leather and blood did not go away until 2 beers later.

    So, it occurs to me that I may one day have to defend myself with no lenses or glasses. I hope it would go better than that sparring session did.

    Have you found any ways to train so that poor eyesight can be dealt with? I know that I can grapple them, often practice that with eyes closed... but what about stand-up?

    -David

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC
    My eyes are not that great - I need correction to drive safely, however I can read my monitor without it.

    I typically train in contacts, sometimes I have to wear my glasses to class.

    One day I had the glasses, and had to spar. So I took the glasses off and went "blind". Long story short, the taste of leather and blood did not go away until 2 beers later.

    So, it occurs to me that I may one day have to defend myself with no lenses or glasses. I hope it would go better than that sparring session did.

    Have you found any ways to train so that poor eyesight can be dealt with? I know that I can grapple them, often practice that with eyes closed... but what about stand-up?

    -David
    Make sure you wear shatter proof lenses, and get yourself a helmet for sparring that allows you to keep your glasses on. This will allow you to spar with your glasses on and help you become more proficient. This way if you are ever in an altercation you are not worried about taking off the glasses.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  3. #3
    ronin6's Avatar
    ronin6 is offline
    KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oxford, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    723
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 46 Times in 44 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    I have worn glasses / contact for the better part of my life. The best thing for me has been contacts. In particular I liked the soft contacts over the hard. They are better suited for active lifestyle. I played football & Rugby with them and loved them. Also, I felt that my Martial Arts training improved once I was gained better peripheral vision. The only glasses I tried for sports were REC-SPECS. They were OK, but I prefer the contacts.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,383
    Thanks
    1,964
    Thanked 473 Times in 341 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    I don't exactly know what to say. If you need glasses in class, you would definately need them on the street. I think contacts would be the way to go, since your opponent wouldn't realize that you need vision correction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dana Point, CA
    Posts
    2,342
    Thanks
    2,296
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    The whole reason I started BJJ, secretly, was my eyesight was simply too bad to spar. Sparring at Bob Whites, I could not see the hands or feet of guys who were already better than I until they were on the way out (having already hit me). Brutal astigmatism.

    Without my glasses, I can make a hail-mary shoot, pull a guy to the ground, and wrassle him. With them on, I can kenpo some yahoo's arse, and see to keep his natural weapons checked for 2 seconds (an eternity in kenpo time). Sparring, however...the fencing-like trading of blows with similars or betters...I just can't see anymore. So I take a shot, then duck and run. Not fun or educational for anyone in the room, and not an accurate representation of what I can do when I can see. I hate it. I used to love to beat around in mitts.

    Regards,

    Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    2,796
    Thanks
    578
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    Maybe I wasn't clear...

    I'm not worreid aobut the sparring - it was just an eye-opener for me (bad pun)

    I am concerned with, let's say I'm wearing my glasses and get mugged and they fall off! now what...

    (I try to always wear my contacts to class. the same is not true of "everywhere but class")

    So, what are some ways to deal with limited vision in a striking situation?

    My best answer so far is "stay close enough that I don't need to see his hands and feet"

    Any better, more detailed, advice?


    -D

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    I would suggest sport glasses for class. Many atheletes use them (or used to anyway before Lasic surgery.)

    Remember your concepts of Countouring and Tracking. These are quite helpful when ones vision is impaired.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

  8. #8
    Carol's Avatar
    Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanks
    1,141
    Thanked 976 Times in 569 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    Duplicate the scenario.

    Try learning how to spar from the beginning, only this time do it without your glasses. You will need to clue in to shapes, patterns, sounds, coarser body movements. See if you can make a deliniation between what you can't do at all....and what you can't do because you are not used to fighting under such conditions.

    If you can improve your sparring without your glasses, you may want try duplicating the scenario you are likely to face. Your vision is likely to be most impared immediately after your glasses get knocked off as your brain has been dealt with the shock of a sudden fluctuation of vision.

    Practice with a training partner in a situation where you are wearing glasses but then take them off the instant before you begin sparring. This will duplicate the nerve shock of your sudden visual acuity change that would come if an attacker knocked your glasses off.

    After putting some time in to this, you may have a better idea of what you need to do to spar effectively and how you will react.

    Yours in nearsightedness....er....Kenpo

    Carol

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Parkville
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    330
    Thanked 630 Times in 389 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    lots of pinning checks

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    Practice as much as possible with out your glasses or opt to wear contacts when going out.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  11. #11
    sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,027
    Thanks
    958
    Thanked 444 Times in 304 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    A good question. My son is about like Mr.Magoo without his. He usually uses contacts in tournaments. If you don't like contacts you can probably tolerate the for a short time sparring. Also get head gear that protects glasses. You might as well get use d to fighting in head gear as most tournaments now require it. Good Luck!!

    I am Most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

  12. #12
    kenpotex's Avatar
    kenpotex is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    I can't see worth S*** w/o some sort of corrective lenses. I wear contacts now but the first two years or so of my Kenpo training, I wore glasses (went through 3 pairs in those two years).
    Anytime we sparred, the glasses came off (it sucks when you get them jammed into your face). During my time in the color-belt ranks it wasn't too bad. However, by the time I got up to the brown-belt level it really got tough because I was unable to pick up on the more subtle telegraphs like target glancing, weight shifts, etc. (which may be all you see). As a result, I came to favor staying either out of range or getting in very close.

    The first time I sparred with contacts in it was an entirely different experience. (I still like to fight in close though...once I get a hold of someone, I ain't lettin them get away )
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

    Matt K.

  13. #13
    execkenpo is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    601
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 103 Times in 69 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    Duplicate the scenario.

    Try learning how to spar from the beginning, only this time do it without your glasses. You will need to clue in to shapes, patterns, sounds, coarser body movements. See if you can make a deliniation between what you can't do at all....and what you can't do because you are not used to fighting under such conditions.

    If you can improve your sparring without your glasses, you may want try duplicating the scenario you are likely to face. Your vision is likely to be most impared immediately after your glasses get knocked off as your brain has been dealt with the shock of a sudden fluctuation of vision.

    Practice with a training partner in a situation where you are wearing glasses but then take them off the instant before you begin sparring. This will duplicate the nerve shock of your sudden visual acuity change that would come if an attacker knocked your glasses off.

    After putting some time in to this, you may have a better idea of what you need to do to spar effectively and how you will react.

    Yours in nearsightedness....er....Kenpo

    Carol
    I think this is great advice. I used to be blind as a bat and spent most of my time sparring without my contacts. I found that distance was my friend. I stayed out of range and became very good at countering.

    About 6 years ago I had LASIK and that fixed everything

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    My own private Idaho
    Posts
    5,298
    Thanks
    4,906
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,192 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    I can't see a darned thing without my glasses. I don't train without them but if they come off while I'm doing a mass attack, my dummy's usually think "uh, oh". The targeting is still somehwat decent but emotional energy output goes up dramatically just because I can't see.

  15. #15
    seca2man's Avatar
    seca2man is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post
    I think this is great advice. I used to be blind as a bat and spent most of my time sparring without my contacts. I found that distance was my friend. I stayed out of range and became very good at countering.

    About 6 years ago I had LASIK and that fixed everything
    Did you ever worry about taking a shot, accidental or otherwise, to your eyes after the Lasik? Are the eyes more vulnerable after this type of surgery? I'm horribly blind too and usually wear contacts since I like to play contact sports. Everything's usually fine unless the contacts pop out, which sometimes happens in sparring.

    I guess training for a realistic street scenario where I'm "blind" is something I haven't done much.

  16. #16
    execkenpo is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    601
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 103 Times in 69 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    Quote Originally Posted by seca2man View Post
    Did you ever worry about taking a shot, accidental or otherwise, to your eyes after the Lasik? Are the eyes more vulnerable after this type of surgery? I'm horribly blind too and usually wear contacts since I like to play contact sports. Everything's usually fine unless the contacts pop out, which sometimes happens in sparring.

    I guess training for a realistic street scenario where I'm "blind" is something I haven't done much.
    Your eyes are vulnerable for about six months following the surgery. I was told not to waterski, spar or anything like that. You could always wear sports glasses with non scrip lenses to protect your eyes until they were fully healed.

    My vision following the surgery was about 20/15, it's now 20/25; still pretty good. I can't remember what I was prior to, but it was really quite bad.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    I think it may be worse to take a shot with contacts in. I knew a fella that wore contacts that got into a fight in a Burger King parking lot and his eye got carved up pretty bad because he took a shot in the eye and the contact cut into it. ....nasty.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

  18. #18
    execkenpo is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    601
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 103 Times in 69 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I think it may be worse to take a shot with contacts in. I knew a fella that wore contacts that got into a fight in a Burger King parking lot and his eye got carved up pretty bad because he took a shot in the eye and the contact cut into it. ....nasty.
    He must have been wearing the hard lenses. I don't think those are used much now, except maybe with quite pronounced astigmatism. The common soft lenses would either come out or tear and then come out. I used to wear the soft ones when I was a teen and had no problems. I even slept with them in when pulling all nighters (not recommended). I usually sparred blind, both to protect my glasses or contacts and also to get used to fighting blind.

    Mark

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    Effective Secrets of correcting Visual Impairments!

    Well,

    1. You can always get lasik surgery. I did. So did my wife.

    2. You can wear soft contact lenses. I did for sparring, but wore the hard ones for driving. Astigmatism needed correction for the night driving.

    3. You can learn to develop you peripheral vision, since the peripheral vision still works for seeing movement easily, even if near-sighted or astigmatism.

    This skill is easy to do and is based upon the Kahuna "Hakalau".

    It is also taught in NLP Trainer's classes because it's a skill necessary for seeing all the clients at the same time.

    I'll do a quick write up if anyone is interested. I do teach it to all my Kenpo Karate students on their FIRST LESSON.

    A bit historically.

    This "seeing in combat" is gone over in Musashi's "Gorin No Sho". He calls it "Kan", or seeeing through or into. "Ken" is the observing of superficial appearances.

    Then he goes into "to observe without moving the eyes".

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Senior Kenpo Master,
    37 years in Kenpo, 57 years in the Martial arts
    Ph.D. Sports Psychology 1987 Columbia Pacific University

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    2,796
    Thanks
    578
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

    Default Re: Visual Impairments

    Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post

    I'll do a quick write up if anyone is interested. I do teach it to all my Kenpo Karate students on their FIRST LESSON.

    A bit historically.

    This "seeing in combat" is gone over in Musashi's "Gorin No Sho". He calls it "Kan", or seeeing through or into. "Ken" is the observing of superficial appearances.

    Then he goes into "to observe without moving the eyes".

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Senior Kenpo Master,
    37 years in Kenpo, 57 years in the Martial arts
    Ph.D. Sports Psychology 1987 Columbia Pacific University
    Heck yeah I am interested!

    thanks!!

    and it looks like I have to break out my Musashi now too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)