Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demo Teams

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Demo Teams

My son is on the demo team for the school where we both train in the adult program. I have been helping with set-up, video recording and the sound system. The team is entertainment only, strictly non-competition.
    The basic show is about 1/2 hour and is mostly group forms set to music, with a technique line, judo throws and my son and another of the older boys doing weapons forms with music. It really draws a crowd, and lots of questions for the school owner after the show.

During the last year, the team has grown from doing shows at small local events to doing shows at much larger events.

I am interested in hearing any comments about "Martial Arts Entertainment"

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Demo Teams

I think it depends on the person. I really am not a big fan, but I think they do build great team working skills. When I was younger I may have been interested, but my instructor told us there was a place for that but I was here to learn and art and the dojo was not for acting. He was a pretty old school instructor who spent 20 years in Japan training in Ju-Jitsu / Aiki-Jitsu.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Sounds like a lot of fun for the kiddos. It would probably get a lot of kids interested, and that is not a bad thing if the dojo is mostly about teaching traditional discipline, work ethic, and technique. Getting kids in the door with excitement may not be "real" martial arts, but it can get them interested in learning for a lifetime.
    "Let the wookie win."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwrench_mc
    My son is on the demo team for the school where we both train in the adult program. I have been helping with set-up, video recording and the sound system. The team is entertainment only, strictly non-competition.
    The basic show is about 1/2 hour and is mostly group forms set to music, with a technique line, judo throws and my son and another of the older boys doing weapons forms with music. It really draws a crowd, and lots of questions for the school owner after the show.

During the last year, the team has grown from doing shows at small local events to doing shows at much larger events.

Fantastic. Any method to draw people into Kenpo and share this great art with others is awesome.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Fantastic. Any method to draw people into Kenpo and share this great art with others is awesome.
    I agree 100%
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Absolutely, If you can't even get them in the door then, you will never get a chance to really show them what Kenpo is about.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks

As school owners if you were to put together a demo team to visit local malls and such. What would be the minimum color bets you would consider allowing on your team?
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Sounds fantastic! Can't wait to see some clips.

Loyal student of Sifu DangeRuss
    Sam Pai Kenpo

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat." -Bruce Lee

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hemi View Post
    As school owners if you were to put together a demo team to visit local malls and such. What would be the minimum color bets you would consider allowing on your team?
    It is best to have people at yelloe Belt and up so that people can see how students progress. For some odd reason people really want to see kids in demo's as well, some schools focus too much on it, and end up with a primarily child foucsed school, with a few adults who joined for a few months and quit. A demo needs balance, equally time for children and adults and all belt levels.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Demo Teams

Quote Originally Posted by Zarnyk View Post
    Sounds fantastic! Can't wait to see some clips.
    First time for the routine in public - Summer '06
    http://johnlor.home.comcast.net/video/matt_staff2.wmv

They did it - A Demo at Disney and at Unversal Studios
    100's of hours of practice - 18 months of fundraising
    14 members - 5 Chaperones from New Hampshire to Florida
    http://mjlacademy.home.comcast.net/demo/demo_page.htm

This was the last practice for my son before he left. There were
    a few mistakes, but the shos in FL went perfect.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Wt8PeK0ik
    There was no competition, this was an entertainment show.
    There will more video soon.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

That's great... exhibitions and demos have their place in MA just as much as self defense and competition do. Just slices of the whole pie. Thanks for sharing.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwrench_mc View Post

We just refuse to do it.

People say they do it to attract new clients.

It's needs more than a demo to attract something more than a spectator.

Good ad copy attracts better clients.

So that just leaves doing the demo for the ego centered.

Which is cool, but NOT my world.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

It all depends on the school and what they are looking for and what they offer. If a school has a great children's program then great a demo is a phenomenal way of attracting new members. Children have to see other children doing it in order to be bitten by that bug. The same thing goes for some adults, ad in th paper or yellows can be great, but seeing beginners of their own age can participating can be very motivating.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,192 Posts

We do a 15-20 minute demo at the school every Saturday at noon. Sometimes we have nonstudents watching but most often it's current students and family members. It serves several purposes. If there are people interested in the school, it's a great way to show them what they'll learn and also a great way to show them the ability of the instructors they'll be learning from. For the people who are already part of the school, it's a chance to see some of the top kid students and a number of instructors demonstrate what they can do. For those in the demo, especially the kids, it's an opportunity to perform under pressure. The more they do it, the better they get. It's a win-win for everybody.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

I'm generally a pro-business person, but I'm not fond of the way many schools run their formal demo teams as a profit center.

Marketing the school is one thing but it makes me a little queasy seeing the marketing done by students required to pay extra tuition and require to buy very specific uniforms. that are only available through the school and must be replaced as soon as they look faded or stained.

I understand that not all schools do their demo teams that way but for those that do...its not the sort of business practice that I would want to be a part of, nor would I want anyone in my family to be a part of it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (06-20-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    I'm generally a pro-business person, but I'm not fond of the way many schools run their formal demo teams as a profit center.

Marketing the school is one thing but it makes me a little queasy seeing the marketing done by students required to pay extra tuition and require to buy very specific uniforms. that are only available through the school and must be replaced as soon as they look faded or stained.

I understand that not all schools do their demo teams that way but for those that do...its not the sort of business practice that I would want to be a part of, nor would I want anyone in my family to be a part of it.
    At our school there is no extra $$ cost to belong to the demo team.
    All special equipment and uniforms are paid for by the Demo Team which is funded by findraisers like a carwash or raffle, and the school does not use the Team equipment for classes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    It all depends on the school and what they are looking for and what they offer. If a school has a great children's program then great a demo is a phenomenal way of attracting new members. Children have to see other children doing it in order to be bitten by that bug. The same thing goes for some adults, ad in th paper or yellows can be great, but seeing beginners of their own age can participating can be very motivating.
    Well,

Here's my experience.

I became quite famous for doing demos at Jr. Highs and High schools and Colleges back in the mid 60's and early 70's.

And I did like that. More women were attracted to me.

And even though I got quite famous and respected (and more lovely ladies giving me the attention I knew I deserved), very few people joined because of those demos UNTIL we gave out advertising copy and a FREE BONUS with the demo.

So we just started giving out the advertising copy with the FREE BONUS, and put them up on school bullitin boards and college bullitin boards.

We signed up the same amount of newbees.

I think those that wish to give demos, please note the down side of giving those demos.

They GOT TO BE GOOD!

If they are bad, or haphazared, or unplanned, then you've just informed the people watching where NOT to go.

They must be planned, with a goal in mind that is picked before hand.

You must pass out ad copy (information packs) to the "hot prospects", and those packs must have a dead line on them, and a FREE BONUS.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    We do a 15-20 minute demo at the school every Saturday at noon. Sometimes we have nonstudents watching but most often it's current students and family members. It serves several purposes. If there are people interested in the school, it's a great way to show them what they'll learn and also a great way to show them the ability of the instructors they'll be learning from. For the people who are already part of the school, it's a chance to see some of the top kid students and a number of instructors demonstrate what they can do. For those in the demo, especially the kids, it's an opportunity to perform under pressure. The more they do it, the better they get. It's a win-win for everybody.
    Okay.

What are the purposes behind doing demo's of the above?

If it was a part of a planned program where a paying client BROUGHT a friend type of deal, it is understandable AS A MARKETING TOOL for attacting newbee's, but nothing else.

Again, where is the "Whats In IT For Me"? that must be dealt with in any advertising campaign.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    I am personally against any "tactic" (business or ego wise) that puts us on the same level as Donald Duck and Bugs Bunny. I have more respect for Kenpo Karate and my clients than that.

So, what could a school do that would put them on the level of wisdom, maturity, confidence and advanced Peak Performance?

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,483 Posts

I am personally not fond of most demos. I have done my share, and to a certain extent it was fun for a while. But the more I did, the more uneasy I became about it.

I am simply not comfortable with the notion of martial arts as "spectacle" or play acting. Often, i think demos put the martial arts into the realm of performance art, and I think that runs counter to what the martial arts were meant to be, at least in my opinion, and for myself.

Once upon a time, these techniques and methods were held close and kept somewhat of a secret. Your life may have depended on your arsenal, and you didn't want the next guy to know what you had. You certainly didnt' go out of your way to publicize it.

But nowadays, there is this "wow" factor in martial arts, and it is really played up in many demos. They often depart from the real techniques, because they simply aren't flashy enough. Instead, you see more and more flashy stuff that has questionable merit, because this is how to impress the audience. And this becomes the focus of the training, doing demos, giving the audience something to drool over, and the school drifts away from the real material that actually works, in favor of the cheap tricks that impresses the audience. People think this is what real martial arts are, and sometimes it can be so bad it's just a joke.

On the other hand, this could be the perfect way to disguise the real martial arts. Let the public think it's all this flashy junk, but behind closed doors lies the real deal. Could be good camoflage...
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

22. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (06-20-2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links