Thread: Ka-Jyu-Wa-Shu

Thanks

Default Ka-Jyu-Wa-Shu

We have a new "Karate" school, right here in my own small town!

Any of you ever heard of this: "Ka-Jyu-Wa-Shu"???

They have a US, Korean, and a Japanese flag on their wall. In the window is the requisite Budda, dragon, and a cross. Their add, in addition to the usual improve self confidence and fear no man statements, says you can learn for 10.00/class or have private lessons with "the Master". I was going to go down and check it out, but I need to get the alarms in my head shut off first so I can hear what the guy has to say. I don't know- I used to train with anybody who was seriouse and knew their stuff. Maybe I should give them a chance ...

Any of you run across this system before? Heard of it? Maybe channeled an ancient master and found the truth about it?

Thanks

Default Re: Ka-Jyu-Wa-Shu

never heard of it........but anything can happen in the martial arts world.

Thanks

Go and check it out. Let us know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151
    Go and check it out. Let us know.
    I've been by a couple of times- place is right downtown. He's advertising day and evening classes 5 days a week, but I've never seen him there. But I'll catch him in one of these days. Like I said, it's a small town, and my curiosity is aroused. If he's any good and takes walk-ins, and if I feel up to it, I might work out with him. I slammed a little with Five Swords the other day and, other than a headache the last 30 hrs, I didn't come off too bad. We'll see...

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Jyu is not even a japanese phoneme.
    More Shugyo!

Thanks

Well, I caught him in as I was going by, so I stoped and talked to the instructor. Wasn't what I'd expected. He's a little older than me (just south of ancient), ex cop. Used to fight full contact until put out by an injury. Seems to know his stuff- he takes walk ins so I'll give him a try.

The system is a combined system, Americanized in '61. It mostly emphasizes the soft moves, which is why he's teaching this (he's ranked in a couple of other systems). He's like me- can only do so much of the hard stuff any more- a common thing as we head north of 50.

Any how, I'll look at this with an open mind.Training partners are not that plentiful here, and it may be a good system. We'll see. I mean, heck fire, I learned a few things from the TKD guys! You never know...

Thanks

Went in to a class this evening. Worked out good, as I was the only one there I got a private lesson for the walk in fee. He even went a little long.

First off, he is a sixth degree, out of seven in their system, which makes him a Master in that system. Since it took him 37 years to get there, I'd say that's ok. No more alarm bells. Plus he seems to know what he's doing. He worked as a cop in some pretty rough jurisdictions, so he's not into the bs that doesn't work.

The system is pretty simple, and the best I can describe it is "soft TKD", with a lot of Chinese influence. He did fine tune some of my kicks, which I sorely needed.

He said I was welcome as a walk in student on an extended basis, which I apreciate since I don't think I want to take another art and confuse my synapsis any more than they already are. But it might be good to have some other people to work out with, so I think I'll give it a try.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Glad to hear it was a good experience. It is good to find someone that is out there for the love of the arts.

Did he mention about the arts name? Is it like Kajukenbo's first syllable of different styles?
    More Shugyo!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gakusei
    Glad to hear it was a good experience. It is good to find someone that is out there for the love of the arts.

Did he mention about the arts name? Is it like Kajukenbo's first syllable of different styles?
    We didn't talk about the name, but I'm guessing it is some combination of syllables or first letters of other systems names.

He runs a traditional school, so there wasn't a lot of talking about anything during class- and what there was was either him giving instruction or me asking a few pertinent questions.

Before class he was talking with some prospective students, so I didn't interrupt. He told them he was teaching an art, for the sake of the art. It's still solid self defense, but if they just wanted to beat someone up or strut their stuff in the ring, he said they were in the wrong place. I got the impression that they thought they were in the wrong place. The sad thing is, I don't care where those guys train, I don't think they'll ever do much whipping or strutting. Two more victims of the MMA craze.

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Always reserve your opinion until you see for yourself. I have come on to some great Martial Artists that were from schools that I had never heard of.
    They hadn't heard of me either so we started even. Not all the great instructors are from huge organizations with big names. Many of them teach out of communiity centers or their Garages. I came accross one not so well known one about 35 years ago. I Already had Kenpo experience. Am still with him today. We have had a great trip together and are best friends. We combine a lot of his style with our Kenpo.

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links